Arc OK intermitent issues on torch fire

More
23 Dec 2020 10:33 #192945 by luftlupus

Aha, so no need to worry about the transfer side yet.

Disconnect the plasma machine cnc port from the controller and short out pins 3 & 4, that should turn the torch on.

Will do tomorrow cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2020 10:53 #192949 by tommylight

na no pilot arc or anything i am assuming the relay is gone at this stage. it tries to fire but no arc of course just air.

Check the plasma as Phill said in the last post, stop wasting time checking ARCOK and relays while there is no way of getting it since the plasma is not cutting anything.
If the plasma turns the air on but does not fire, that is a plasma issue, not a relay issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luftlupus

More
23 Dec 2020 11:29 #192951 by phillc54

Will do tomorrow cheers.

Tom's post reminded me to say you should check that your air pressure is within specs as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, luftlupus

More
23 Dec 2020 11:36 #192952 by snowgoer540

If the plasma turns the air on but does not fire, that is a plasma issue, not a relay issue.

Well, at least it's not a transfer-relay issue.

This is the exact problem (there's a video of it earlier in the thread) I had trying to use a SSR for "torch-on", rather than a mechanical relay. Changing relay types solved my "only air" problem.

I really hope it's his problem at this point as well, because it's easy to fix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Dec 2020 15:54 #192978 by tommylight
I read everything on this forum, so at times it is hard to follow everything exactly, but lately the "relay" issue has been raised to "nuclear" levels !
I never had issues with relays, ever, when low current is concerned as i am sure i used 3A up to 40A to turn on the plasma's, used 3A to 30A for ARCOK. Until lately most of them were old used relays. Not a single issue, ever!
SSR is a different beast, it is a semiconductor so might cause issues.
In general, if the plasma is turning on the air but there is no pilot arc or no cutting, check the air pressure as the first thing, it might have enough pressure while the valve is closed so the plasma will start, and that pressure will go down when the valve opens restricting the plasma from firing. The pressure for normal Plasma sources should be 5 to 5.5 BAR while the air is running through the nozzle, not while the air is shut off.

More
23 Dec 2020 15:55 #192979 by tommylight

Will do tomorrow cheers.

Tom's post reminded me to say you should check that your air pressure is within specs as well.

Your post reminded me about chasing the wrong rabbit here ! :)

More
23 Dec 2020 18:23 #192995 by snowgoer540

I read everything on this forum, so at times it is hard to follow everything exactly, but lately the "relay" issue has been raised to "nuclear" levels !
I never had issues with relays, ever, when low current is concerned as i am sure i used 3A up to 40A to turn on the plasma's, used 3A to 30A for ARCOK. Until lately most of them were old used relays. Not a single issue, ever!
SSR is a different beast, it is a semiconductor so might cause issues.
In general, if the plasma is turning on the air but there is no pilot arc or no cutting, check the air pressure as the first thing, it might have enough pressure while the valve is closed so the plasma will start, and that pressure will go down when the valve opens restricting the plasma from firing. The pressure for normal Plasma sources should be 5 to 5.5 BAR while the air is running through the nozzle, not while the air is shut off.

I agree there is way too much discussion on relays. You could say that I came here to relay that I agree :) :laugh:

I only butted in because he IS using an SSR to turn the torch on, and I saw the exact same thing (with a Hypertherm of all brands) when I was turning the torch on the same way. For some reason that I don't understand, it was not pulled in enough to start whatever it is that starts the pilot arc. To further compound the curious nature of it, having hte ground clamp near the torch affected the strength of the pilot arc when I was using the SSR. Now that it's a regular old trusty dusty relay, pilot arc 100% of the time.

Really I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm just tryin to be helpful, and I want to see the fella's table work...reliably.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, luftlupus

More
23 Dec 2020 19:04 #193005 by tommylight

I agree there is way too much discussion on relays. You could say that I came here to relay that I agree :) :laugh:

LOL :)

Really I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm just tryin to be helpful, and I want to see the fella's table work...reliably.

If i did imply this in any way shape or form, sorry that was not my intention.
I just feel sorry for the new members of this forum coming here to seek help and finding more than they bargained for. The main thing is to help them make the machine work as the first and foremost, then advise on improvements and features and ..... bells and whistles? :)

More
23 Dec 2020 21:16 #193026 by snowgoer540

bells and whistles? :)

mmmmmm.... bells and whistles... (Homer Simpson voice)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Dec 2020 22:58 - 23 Dec 2020 23:04 #193037 by luftlupus

Will do tomorrow cheers.

So checked the air pressure that's within spec, then disconnected the CNC port and shorted the start pins but again no arc just air.

Also thanks for everyone's help and input, I feel bad for not knowing all the electrical side of things.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 23:04 by luftlupus.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds