qtvcp issues

More
12 Nov 2018 04:12 #120475 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic qtvcp issues
It should be in the linuxcnc section. I looked at github and looks like the files are there to load it. It's easy to miss in the lathe list...I should probably break them up a bit in designer...unique icons would help. I'm at work so cant get in deeper tonight.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2018 01:26 #120644 by cmorley
I pushed some work..I added an icon for designer to make versaProbe stand out.

Chris M

More
14 Nov 2018 01:53 #120647 by auto-mation-assist
Replied by auto-mation-assist on topic qtvcp issues
I have been looking at getting the probe widget to work but still cannot get it loaded for testing.

So I have been experimenting.

If it is desired to be able to declare function for the buttons, and other items in the handler then most likely the QT “Form” frame cannot be used because the frame already has it own configuration and cannot have any slots assigned to it. The result is that any attempt to modify the slots from say ‘toggle’ to another name such as ‘button1_toggle” will result in a error with no slot being established since there is no where to put slots. Using the electrical ground symbol to assign slots will always fail when using ‘Form’ since the electrical ground symbol requires ‘MainWindow’ in the .ui and not ‘Form’.

If all that is wanted is to generate hal pins then a “Form” frame with no modifications will likely be ok. Any code that handles the functions for the buttons and other declared items would most likely need to be linked to hal pins instead of slots.

I have tried to work around the problem with “Form” and assigning slot names that can be used in a handler but have had no success.

As an example ‘Form’ uses this format for button: pbtn_outside_xpym

<sender>pbtn_outside_xpym</sender>
<signal>released()</signal>
<receiver>pbtn_outside_xpym</receiver>
<slot>toggle()</slot>

Only the receiver name is allowed to be changed. In the probe screen there four cases that change receiver. The “inside” straight X and Y moves use the “outside” code, but crossed plus and minus.

As an addition to my fun I converted my qt test.ui file to python test.py and test.pyc to see if it would perhaps be simpler to use, but ran into import issues for custom files when it was run.

These are the lines that could not import:

from qtvcp.widgets.led_widget import LED
from qtvcp.widgets.simple_widgets import PushButton.

I think that perhaps they may not have been not happy with class declarations.

In any case I like the ‘MainWindow’ type since it provides more flexibility, but not sure if it can easily be inserted in another main page or if could only used as a floating type pop up.

I will keep going.

More
14 Nov 2018 01:58 #120648 by cmorley
Can you give me more information about it 'not loading'
Doesn't load in Designer?
Doesn't load in your screen?

Chris M

More
14 Nov 2018 05:44 #120654 by cmorley

I have been looking at getting the probe widget to work but still cannot get it loaded for testing.

So I have been experimenting.

If it is desired to be able to declare function for the buttons, and other items in the handler then most likely the QT “Form” frame cannot be used because the frame already has it own configuration and cannot have any slots assigned to it. The result is that any attempt to modify the slots from say ‘toggle’ to another name such as ‘button1_toggle” will result in a error with no slot being established since there is no where to put slots. Using the electrical ground symbol to assign slots will always fail when using ‘Form’ since the electrical ground symbol requires ‘MainWindow’ in the .ui and not ‘Form’.

I'm not sure what is happening here. The code I pushed as a beginning for the widget had buttons that worked.
By worked I mean it called code in vera_probe.py that just printed a message.
This was done by using designer to define form slots (with the ground symbol).

Chris M

More
14 Nov 2018 21:21 #120702 by auto-mation-assist
I think that I may have located the problem why some things that worked before are not working any more. I had a little mess so I had decided to do some clean-up work by starting a new qt5vcp_py2 clone and then placing my generated code into it.

After doing some comparisons of files I noticed that there are missing ones that must not actually be in the current linuxcnc qt5vcp_py2 branch. I had not expected this and thought that when you push or modify items that they would end up being in there.

So it looks like I'm no longer in sync with your latest changes and additions.

More
15 Nov 2018 02:30 - 15 Nov 2018 02:31 #120729 by auto-mation-assist
Chris,

I have pushed new files in the: x1Mill_branch/configs/sim/x1Mill/ folder. You will now see four folders for gui related things that im working on. I separated them to help me avoid confusion.

In the main x1Mill folder you will find the versa_probe gui. and in the x1Probing folder you will find the x1Probing gui that uses a main panel with all def statements in the handler with print statements.

The versa_probe reposts an error for the two toggle buttons. The error message is in the doc in versa_probe. This is an error we have seen before.

There may be some changes needed for the status labels an input used to enter values if compatibility problems arise. Please check them out when you have a chance.

I have replaced my lib/qtvcp/ folder in my development qt5vcp_py2 with the most correct version that I have found.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2018 02:31 by auto-mation-assist.

More
15 Nov 2018 04:31 #120732 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic qtvcp issues
Between the 2 of you you seem to have progressed in leaps and bounds, very impressive.

I have been watching this thread with interest and have a question.

I have been wanting to give a new face to PathPilot for a while now and QT seems to be the way to go. Would you recommend QT for a newbie designer like me to create a suitable new face for what has already been coded?

I am an ex-4GL programmer from way back but have little or no experience designing user interfaces.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Bruce

More
16 Nov 2018 03:26 #120810 by cmorley

Between the 2 of you you seem to have progressed in leaps and bounds, very impressive.

I have been watching this thread with interest and have a question.

I have been wanting to give a new face to PathPilot for a while now and QT seems to be the way to go. Would you recommend QT for a newbie designer like me to create a suitable new face for what has already been coded?

I am an ex-4GL programmer from way back but have little or no experience designing user interfaces.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Bruce

I'm not sure how to add qtvcp and designer to pilotpath - I've never used it.
Obviously making screens takes practice and requires new skills - but it's not rocket science.
To get basic function won't take long - to get a satisfying preety screen take patients.
I'll give support as much as I can -it helps to make qtvcp better.

Chris M

More
16 Nov 2018 03:58 #120812 by cmorley

Chris,

The versa_probe reposts an error for the two toggle buttons. The error message is in the doc in versa_probe. This is an error we have seen before.

Looking at the versa_probe ui file - it seems the sender and receiver are the same widget.
The receiver should be Form.
The toggle buttons fail because the sender is sending 'toggle(bool)' to a receiver that only takes 'toggle()'

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: auto-mation-assist

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds