Hurco KMB-IS CNC update

More
21 Aug 2020 05:27 #178895 by CORBETT
Replied by CORBETT on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
Leith,

I went back and looked at your machine and you only have one port on the rear instead of two.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 22:50 #178964 by _big_
Replied by _big_ on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update
Got the servo AC power working today.

X and Z servos seem to work.

The Y servo gives an overcurrent error on the MAX-430 amp.

Swapped Z and Y servo motor connections on the amps, and the problem follows the Y servo motor. The Z motor seems to work fine on the Y amp.

So, something wrong with the Y motor :( .

Some used stuff on Ebay. Some place offering repair services. I wonder if I might be better off replacing the motor/amp with something a little more modern.

More
21 Aug 2020 22:51 #178965 by _big_
I looked at the wiring behind that connector.

There some hacked in black box. Inside the black box there is a single opto-isolator. Pointing in the out direction.

Its not a serial bus.

More
22 Aug 2020 06:50 #178980 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hurco KMB-IS CNC update

So, something wrong with the Y motor :( .

If they are brushed DC ones, first thing is to open the brushes and check if they need replacement, then blow air through the brush hole from all sides and check the coper inside where the brushes touch.
Usually that is the reason for over current errors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT, _big_

More
22 Aug 2020 15:17 - 22 Aug 2020 15:24 #179003 by CORBETT

Tom is right about taking the brushes out and blowing it out. I will see if I can find the sheet about brush maintenance from Hurco, but it is not elaborate. Just shows where the brushes are located . Seems like they are suppose to be 2" long, but can't remember. Will try to find sheet for you and upload.

EDIT: Forgot to add that there are 2 sets of brushes, one set for motor and the other for tach... The set towards the middle of the motor is the correct set, the one's close the back end are the tach.

EDIT #2 Tom is right about the copper on the armature. If you look down in the hole, check and see if the copper has marred together. It should be nice straight lines, rotate the motor and check for any spot that could be marred together. Hopefully nothing more than the brushes, but could be a bad armature.

Robert
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 15:24 by CORBETT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Aug 2020 15:32 #179006 by CORBETT

Leith,

Ok here is the 2 pages from Hurco. I thought it was a real simple one page deal, but looks like they do have a little bit of info about maintenance. The show taking all of the brushes out, even tach brushes to blow everything out. It's at the bottom of the first page.

While looking for this sheet, I found another E-stop string that I had for your "m" model and I will post it in a bit.

Robert

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: _big_

More
22 Aug 2020 15:37 - 22 Aug 2020 15:39 #179007 by CORBETT

Leith,

Ok here is the E-stop string I found that should be for your machine. Looks like they re-vamped a bit on your model.

EDIT: I don't know what year this was for, so may not be yours... just happened to see this while searching through for the motor brush pages.

Robert

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 15:39 by CORBETT.

More
22 Aug 2020 16:20 #179009 by CORBETT

I looked at the wiring behind that connector.

There some hacked in black box. Inside the black box there is a single opto-isolator. Pointing in the out direction.

Its not a serial bus.

Ok, they could have had a Greco minifile hooked up to download from the machine. In other words they could have been hand coding at the pendant and when they finished getting whatever part machined correctly they then downloaded the program to use in the future. This is backwards as you usually make the part in CAD/CAM and then upload to the machine, but you never know if they were prototyping with the machine and then getting what they programmed out for future.

I figure it is a hook up tor DNC, but not sure since your saying it is feeding "out". Most DNC programs that I remember could upload and download. I don't think it would be a BTR connection, because seems like BTR's only do output, but could be wrong. I think the only thing that could do upload and download back then was a Greco Minifile. I never had one, but wanted one back in the day. You used a floppy disk to transfer the job to the machine back when 3-1/2's and 5-1/4's were in computers. But then DNC programs became prevalent by hooking up with the DB9 making BTR's and Minifiles obsolete.

Probably could bypass and use the original Hurco wiring to hook the DB9, just to see if it will upload from a computer. Would be cool if you get the Y motor working and could get the master back onto the controller to see if it would work OEM.

Robert

More
22 Aug 2020 17:59 #179017 by _big_
Now that I think about it some more... physical orientations doesn't imply anything about logical direction.

It is a single opt isolator. So it is single direction.

It connects in to the TB on the bottom of the relay module. I had sort of assumed its some sort of machine status indicator.

I probably need to figure out what the terminals it connects to are for.

More
22 Aug 2020 18:09 #179019 by _big_
Did my best to follow the brush maintenance instructions. Nothing is obviously out of spec.

No Joy.

I took the belt off the motor just to make sure the load of the table isn't somehow messing it up.

At power up, it usually rumbles for few seconds then overcurrent fault. I tried rotating the motor while its off. It seems reasonably smooth to me. The length of time it rumbles before overcurrent seems to be somewhat related to starting position.

There must be something amiss with the armature. That's about the only thing it could be.

Attachments:

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds