LinuxCNC-RIO - RealtimeIO for LinuxCNC based on FPGA (ICE40 / ECP5)

More
15 Aug 2024 12:09 #307800 by meister
no no no, you should finish building your board,
forget the mesa cards again very quickly :)

I just want to support as many boards as possible and these 2 mesa boards have no network, so it will be easy to support them. especially since the Spartan6 are already supported anyway.

If anyone has the boards, I'm happy to help remotely create the configs for them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2024 12:16 - 15 Aug 2024 12:20 #307802 by Mecanix
Goes to show how much I need to learn, this option honestly slipped my radar. Awesome, seriously. You need me to put 2 (two) on order? happy to drop-ship one over DE for you to thinker with.

Screw that pricey gowin board, common sense lool Not all wasted though, no worries, good ref design for other projects!!

edit: boy oh boy, you said spartan6... that means the old buggy IDE/ISE ver 14 something something, forgot. Uh oh.. alarm
Last edit: 15 Aug 2024 12:20 by Mecanix.

More
15 Aug 2024 12:37 #307804 by meister
the mesa boards have no network and are nothing more than a spartan6 with level shifters, you also need BOB's to be able to do anything with them

i thought you would have fun building boards, we have ready-made designs, nothing great but they work

github.com/multigcs/LinuxCNC-RIO/tree/main/configs/Tangoboard
github.com/multigcs/rio-octobot
github.com/multigcs/rio-iceshield

More
15 Aug 2024 12:39 #307805 by Mecanix
Ya won't believe this, just found a decade old spartan-6 sitting in the bottom of my abandoned gizmo box. Let me dwload the toolchain for that badboy and I'll give it a trial tomorrow after work. If this all works out as planned I'll get two of those 7I90HD. Haha Magic, Effortless!! 

More
15 Aug 2024 12:43 #307806 by meister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
15 Aug 2024 12:46 - 15 Aug 2024 12:56 #307807 by Mecanix
That's awesome. Farewell Gowin Let's go Spartan!! I'll update...
Wishemeluck :)

@meister, is there a discord channel/server where linuxcnc users and devs exchange ideas and what not? Read someone here saying discord a few days ago but unaware of one. I'd love an invite to this venue if you or anyone knows of such platform. 
Last edit: 15 Aug 2024 12:56 by Mecanix.

More
15 Aug 2024 12:57 #307809 by cornholio

Ya won't believe this, just found a decade old spartan-6 sitting in the bottom of my abandoned gizmo box. Let me dwload the toolchain for that badboy and I'll give it a trial tomorrow after work. If this all works out as planned I'll get two of those 7I90HD. Haha Magic, Effortless!! 

Yeah I've already done that. Great care is required in selecting the pins for the SPI port, selecting just any pins wont give you a successful bit stream.
The way  I designed my boards was to run the Mesa 7i90HD & 7C81 firmware & a custom firmware with it's own board name. The daughter boards support both EPP & SPI interfaces, the way the ports were designed were to allow use with genuine Mesa daughter boards, even being able to supply 5v to the daughter boards via a jumper. I tested my setup with the Mesa firmware with a 7i73 smart serial pendant board and used a heavily modified 7i90hd smart serial firmware to run on a RV901T colorlight board, but will run on any Spartan 6 dev board, yes the 7i90 can be used as a Smart serial board as well, Mesa have firmware configs for this.
The boards now also run the rio firmware and there is basic board config on Ollie's github repo. I suggested a while ago that the 7i90HD would be a good candidate for this project, what makes this a good candidate as well is the dual SPI EEPROMs.
In all honesty running the rio firmware on these boards removes one of the great functions of the Mesa infrastructure, the Smart serial interface.

So yeah having all the info on these 2 boards it wouldn't take long to whip up a board config for them. Just a few slight mods to my own Spartan6 config.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meister, Mecanix

More
15 Aug 2024 13:01 #307811 by Mecanix
That is so cool. ok 7i90HD x10 here we come!!

Discord channel guys? linuxcnc geekheads hangout you heard of one?? I swear I read cakeslob mentioning about one in another thread, the remora thread if I'm not mistaken.

More
15 Aug 2024 13:06 #307812 by meister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
15 Aug 2024 13:12 - 15 Aug 2024 13:18 #307813 by Mecanix

there is one, ok, i will try
discord.com/invite/SbskPKPJc6

Yay that's awesome. I'll log on and drive in in a few hours (my DC user/pwd is on another PC). Prolly a better hangout to share vendor-neutral dev and goodies :) I'll catch you there boyz.  
Last edit: 15 Aug 2024 13:18 by Mecanix.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds