5Axis Kinetic from 2.8 on 2.7x

More
31 Aug 2020 06:54 #180137 by Aciera
Yes, my apologies. There is a fair bit of difference from 2.7 to 2.8. I only work with 2.8.

This does not work, an error message appears when starting linux.

What does the message say?

As rod said, you might want to upgrade to 2.8. You have to set your repository:

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

Or, download a new image if you want:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ver-mint-iso?start=0

Be aware though that you will have to adjust your configuration for version 2.8 because of the distinction between joints and axis.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...tion_files_for_2_8_x
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackRay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2020 07:05 #180138 by JackRay
Hello , thank you very much .I will try updating my system from 2.7.14 to 2.8

More
31 Aug 2020 13:24 #180157 by JackRay
Good morning all ,

Probably basic question ...
Can I do 5 axes simultaneously with the linuxCNC 2.7.14 version? Or do I have to go through version 2.8?

I am having too much trouble updating my CNC control computer.

It is under Dabian GNU. the "Update" / "Upgrate" no longer want to be done.

Thank you for your help

More
31 Aug 2020 14:19 #180165 by tommylight
As far as i know, yes.

More
31 Aug 2020 15:10 #180178 by JackRay
Hello ,

what should I put in should I change in my .hal & .ini files?

Thank you

More
01 Sep 2020 05:50 - 01 Sep 2020 05:55 #180255 by Aciera
If you are indeed trying to use kinematics from Version 2.8 in Version 2.7 then you would be better off to invest the time in upgrading your system. It has been stated before that this will not work. Changing your hal and ini files will not solve this.

You might want to have a look at the switchkins branch as it allows you to switch between trivial kinematics to tcp kinematics. This requires a run in place installation though.
www.panix.com/~dgarrett/stuff/switchkins.html
Last edit: 01 Sep 2020 05:55 by Aciera.

More
01 Sep 2020 07:36 #180268 by JackRay
Response le 01/09/2020 à Aciera 9h00.

Hello Aciera,

- I understood that the mixture of the two versions was not compatible (post from Rodw).

- it is clear that if I want to do (TCP) I have to go through the "xyzac-trt-kins" module which is only available in version 2.8.

- My problem is that my CNC control computer is 32 bit, so I can only install a 32 bit "OS" and find LinuxCNC 2.8 32bits.

- My Dabian GNU system refuses updates. The links are no longer active.

- Do you know a procedure to reinstall my 32 bit system with LinuxCNC 2.7.14 and then an update with a file (no network) to LinuxCNC 2.8.

I read, that during the update, when starting LinuxCNC 2.8 for the first time the migration was automatic, Linuxcnc 2.8 converted the .hal .ini files from 2.7 to 2.8 and many other things.

- Thank you again for following my misadventures, and for answering all my questions.
But I think the program is superb, I was able to machine some parts in 5 axes and I realized the reliability and precision of the system, it is for this reason that I want to go further.

- In addition the community is great, is available, this is how we move forward and when I have fully developed my machine, I will upload all my "config" files to help like me today people who want to succeed in their projects.

Thank you

More
01 Sep 2020 08:59 #180280 by Aciera

I read, that during the update, when starting LinuxCNC 2.8 for the first time the migration was automatic, Linuxcnc 2.8 converted the .hal .ini files from 2.7 to 2.8 and many other things.

I gather there is a converter to migrate your config from 2.7 to 2.8. I have never used it though.

As to upgrading:
Have you added the repositories to your synaptic package manager as described in the buildbot webpage?

Not sure if there is a way to download the necessary files and copy them to your machine.

Maybe start a new thread about where to find a 32bit ISO with version2.8 that is suitable for parallel port operation. My systems use the Ethernet port and for that latency is less crucial. Also my hardware is 64bit

More
01 Sep 2020 09:55 #180284 by JackRay
OK, thanks ,

- I have an i5 PC running Mint 19.2, with a "linuxCNC 2.9.0 pre0-925-g5e11c1db" version that I don't use because I don't have a parallel port. However, it has an Ethernet connection.

-Can I use this PC to control my machine with an Ethernet port?

- If Yes, then I go to another World. I have no idea of ​​the configuration and the communication equipment needed between my PC and my Break out card?

Please can you tell me more ?

Regards

More
01 Sep 2020 10:07 #180291 by tommylight

I gather there is a converter to migrate your config from 2.7 to 2.8. I have never used it though.

Yes there is and it does a pretty good job at it, but if there are a lot of edited stuff in the ini and hal file there might be a need to do some more editing. For standard configs it always worked.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds