Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
29 Mar 2021 09:35 #204002 by RotarySMP
Hi Andy,
That is a nice design. 45 tall, and 135mm square? Nice. The Schaublin has the little D1-3. The through hole of the Schaublin spindle is 32mm. What size core are you planning? I fear that the post, bank fees, and customs will drive the price up so far that it would be cheaper to hog it out of a meehanite bar. There is a pretty resonable seller on ebay.de. Currently, I only have a cheap 150mm rotary table. I have been sort of watching out for a Nikken NC fourth axis, but at this stage dont really know what I will end up with.
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2021 10:03 #204005 by andypugh

Hi Andy,
That is a nice design. 45 tall, and 135mm square? Nice. The Schaublin has the little D1-3. The through hole of the Schaublin spindle is 32mm. What size core are you planning? I fear that the post, bank fees, and customs will drive the price up so far that it would be cheaper to hog it out of a meehanite bar.

Parcelmonkey says £15 to post 3.5kg of cast iron from the UK to Austria.

The raw casting will have a 40mm central hole, for a 3.5mm width on the top of the taper ring if machined for D1-3. Which ought to be plenty for a static application like a mill or rotary table.

More
29 Mar 2021 14:10 #204035 by RotarySMP
Thanks for the offer Andy, but I think I will pass of this one. Customs will add 20% VAT on the item + the postage cost (barstards), and maybe a few percent for tolls, and then the post will add a further customs €10 handling fee on top of that (same).

So the 35GBP casting becomes

35+15
=50GBP
€58
+€10 customs handling
+20% = €11,80
So the final cost is about €80.

I have so many costs with getting all the hardware to convert and equip the Schaublin at this time, I really cant justify a speculative punt on a future project. Better to wait till I actually need it, and buy a billet of Meehanite from:
www.ebay.de/itm/Grauguss-Durchmesser-ca-...a:g:FvAAAOSwT5Rdssbc
Mark

More
29 Mar 2021 14:29 - 29 Mar 2021 14:54 #204040 by andypugh

I have so many costs with getting all the hardware to convert and equip the Schaublin at this time, I really cant justify a speculative punt on a future project. Better to wait till I actually need it, and buy a billet of Meehanite from:
www.ebay.de/itm/Grauguss-Durchmesser-ca-...a:g:FvAAAOSwT5Rdssbc

Fairy Nuff.

Though you won't get a 135mm square out of a 150 bar, you would need the 180. But then with D1-3 you might not need a 135 square.
(Though I sized it to span all three table slots on my mill)
Last edit: 29 Mar 2021 14:54 by andypugh.

More
29 Mar 2021 14:32 #204041 by RotarySMP
Yeah, when I get to that point, I'd have to measure my tables slots. Look forward to seeing your video on pattern making, and then machining the raw casting.
Mark

More
29 Mar 2021 14:49 #204045 by RotarySMP
Given the same price and size, to drive this 3kW motor, would you take the 5.5kW VFD ans derate it, or take the 3kW VFD?

More
29 Mar 2021 14:56 #204048 by andypugh

Given the same price and size, to drive this 3kW motor, would you take the 5.5kW VFD ans derate it, or take the 3kW VFD?

An oversized VFD is never a problem, you can always reduce the max current.
But if it is undersized for the motor (and some older motors take a huge current at zero speed) there is no way round it.

If they really are the same price and size, then it's an easy decision.

More
29 Mar 2021 15:06 #204050 by andypugh

Yeah, when I get to that point, I'd have to measure my tables slots. Look forward to seeing your video on pattern making, and then machining the raw casting.

Pattern-making is boring. I just 3D printed it.

More
29 Mar 2021 16:58 #204070 by RotarySMP
Photos or it didn't happen :)

More
29 Mar 2021 17:54 #204083 by andypugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds