Planning - Bridgeport Interact 1 linuxCNC Retrofit

More
14 Dec 2015 23:53 #66990 by andypugh
You seem very confident that you won't make a mess of any pins. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 00:02 #66991 by cncnoob1979
I'm sure I'll make mistakes ;)

I plan on wiring each without the back shells (just pins to wire) then label each PIN number (1-12) then push them into the exe box.

See if it works ;) (just one axis) if not, then I might need to replace my encoders! lol and I might have some exe boxes to sell to you :cheer:

More
15 Dec 2015 13:00 #67007 by andypugh

I ordered the connectors and back shells with male pins. Now I just need to get some cable.

You can probably use CAT5 cable, it is rated to far higher frequencies than an encoder.

If you want to get more fancy then there are dedicated servo encoder cables.
edgecdn.lappgroup.com/fileadmin/document...lex/DB00277101EN.pdf

I have 30m of 0027131 (8th photo down, so you can see the construction)
bodgesoc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/a-start-on-controller.html

I bought it from eBay, but I didn't spend this much!
www.ebay.com/itm/261364267863
In fact I paid 50 Euros...

More
18 Dec 2015 15:58 - 24 Dec 2015 03:30 #67130 by cncnoob1979
I purchased two more exe boxes! 2 x 610C. [plcproducts.com/sites/pl/files/manuals/h..._602_user_manual.pdf] For 40$, listed as working, so hey great for me that they mislabeled the listing!
I now have 5 exe boxes incoming! (Ill need 4 total, 3 for axis, 1 for the hand-wheel)

Andy,

I will try a cat5 or cat6 cable from the exe's to Mesa hardware, besides they are short runs, but I'm not sure how to handle the shield pin. Wouldn't I need to use a shield pin for these? I might get lucky and find some suitable wiring with a internal shield that I can use. I also received my M25 connectors and I think my pins may be too small for the connector to the exe boxes. I bought 1mm sized pins, I may need to go to the next size.

And Mouser was awesome to work with! A definite order from again, they even placed a tech on the line to make sure I ordered exactly what I wanted and it only took two days to arrive, shipping was 8 bucks! An awesome company to work with.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2015 03:30 by cncnoob1979.

More
19 Dec 2015 20:36 #67159 by cncnoob1979
Can an 7i77 drive 24v relays directly? (Stock Bridgeport relays)

I have traced and labeled all my wiring, also I have the enables, releases and limits switches ready to go. I have driven all my axis with a 1.5v battery. My air solenoid is toast (seals gone) I need to buy another AE-1001, so far I haven't found a direct replacement - any suggestions? (I might just go with an 1:1 pulley and remove the entire assembly with a VFD, braking resistor, and single action air valve for the pneumatic brake)

Now it's time to decide on either a pico driven system or a Mesa driven system. I saw a earlier post by PCW stating they were catching up on orders. I really want to buy a 5i25 / 7i77 combo and probably a SS board. If PCW you are reading this post do you have the ability to ship a 5i25/7i77 plug and go kit without flashing the firmware so that the end user can? If that is a option then perhaps it can take the work load off of you and allow me to do it. I would be more than willing if it helps. (I'm in Alabama, USA!)

Also I don't know if others know or not, but Mesa did put a shipping disclaimer on their web store explaining they were behind on orders and approximate shipping time 4-6 weeks.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on Mesa and go for it. Undecided :unsure:

More
19 Dec 2015 21:32 #67161 by andypugh

Can an 7i77 drive 24v relays directly? (Stock Bridgeport relays)

"
The 7I77 field outputs are high side or sourcing type MOSFET drivers, that is they source positive voltage to a ground referred load. For example with a standard 24V field power, +24V connects to the 7I77s field power input (on TB2) and the outputs on TB7 and TB8 now source +24V power to loads. All 7I77 loads will have one side returned to ground or the negative lead of the 24V supply. The 7I77s outputs can drive loads of up to 350 mA."

"The output driver chips used on the 7I77 have built in Zener diode clamps to clamp inductive turn-off (fly-back) spikes. This means that flyback diodes are not normally required on small (less than 60 mA) inductive loads. If high current inductive loads are switched or inductive loads are switched at high frequencies, they must have flyback diodes to limit power dissipation in the 7I77's driver chips."

( www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/7i77man.pdf )

A typical 24V relay I looked at has a 37mA coil current, so could be connected directly. A higher-current relay would need a diode adding Many relays have a diode included. If the coil connections have a polarity marking, then that indicates that a diode is already present inside the relay.

More
21 Dec 2015 01:33 - 21 Dec 2015 01:35 #67187 by cncnoob1979
Thanks Andy, I should have read the manual! Sorry about that!

I've got my mill thinking it's running all day long. Just to check out the oiling system. The saddle, table and knee are all pouring oil (after 12hrs), but the head does not seem to be getting a lot of oil.

I've attached a photo of the lower oiler for the quill. I maybe have had a few drop. I don't know if this is normal or what. The orifice for it is a 00. Does that sound sufficient to you?
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2015 01:35 by cncnoob1979.

More
21 Dec 2015 10:10 #67195 by andypugh

I've attached a photo of the lower oiler for the quill. I maybe have had a few drop. I don't know if this is normal or what. The orifice for it is a 00. Does that sound sufficient to you?

I have never had a machine with central oiling, so I can only speculate. But 00 sounds like it would be the smallest of all.
Perhaps they wanted to make sure that oil didn't drop on the workpiece?

More
21 Dec 2015 17:00 #67212 by cncnoob1979
Andy,

I think I will be disassembling the oil lines, remove the table etc.. and check each oil orifice.

I just purchased a used Intel D945GCLF2 , PBGA437 Motherboard with 2GB ram. It is PCI only so I will be going with the 5i25/7i77 combo.

More
22 Dec 2015 13:06 - 22 Dec 2015 13:07 #67237 by BigJohnT
The metering valves for the oiler can plug up with time, I had to replace all of them on my surface grinder to get the central oiler working. I would replace the metering valve with the same number if you suspect it is plugged up. If you have another metering valve with the same number swap them to see if that changes the volume of oil. Just because I don't use the grinder much any time I'm near by I give the plunger a pull to keep fresh oil in the metering valves.

JT
Last edit: 22 Dec 2015 13:07 by BigJohnT.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds