2nd stage of Crusader II retrofit

More
31 May 2018 00:25 #111335 by jamby
I temporarily wired up the 5i25 with the meanwell rd-35b thru tb1 and tb2 and connected the pcb801 p1-1/2 to the 24vdc tb2 so the servos start up when the 5i25 is powered up. Also wired up a e-stop button thru tb2 to tb8 p1-1. With this set up I can jog the machine and the e-stop will drop out linuxcnc's e-stop and power buttons on the axis-gui. But doesn't kill the servos as it did under the old setup.
I don't yet have the limit switches attached thru the 5i25 because I can't find an example of the hal definition, well what I imagine how it should be. A definition for each axis defining the pin by number and its function as the limit.. Anyone know what this should be??

Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2018 02:39 - 31 May 2018 02:41 #111340 by OT-CNC
If you are enabling through the P3 connector pins we talked about it should also disable the drive. I'm not sure why it's not working.

On mine I have:
# --- MACHINE-IS-ENABLED and oil pump ---
net machine-is-enabled hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00 hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-04

This connects the enabled signal to the output 00 and also turns on the output 04 which I use to turn on the automatic oiler.
You should have net machine-is-enabled hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00 or whatever physical output pin you want on the 7i77.

You also need something under motion (I assume you have this since you mentioned you can jog around):

# ---motion control signals---
net in-position <= motion.in-position
net machine-is-enabled <= motion.motion-enabled

For the limits you should have this in your hal joint section per axis if you're using one switch with 2 trip blocks:

# ---setup home / limit switch signals---

net both-x => joint.0.neg-lim-sw-in
net both-x => joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in

And the physical connection in my case is input 05 for the x:

# --- BOTH-X ---
net both-x <= hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-05-not

Did you try to run PNCconfig to get you a basic configuration? It worked for me to get things rolling.
Last edit: 31 May 2018 02:41 by OT-CNC. Reason: added more info

More
31 May 2018 03:06 #111341 by OT-CNC
Also, I think it's it's careless to run a machine like this without home switches. I highly recommend adding some optical switches and configuring the ini so that you have the software travel limits set inside the limit switches.

I found some notes on the optical units I bought. EE-SX670 P PNP type I believe is needed to work directly with the 7i77. You may want to confirm with PCW.

Attachments:

More
31 May 2018 14:03 #111351 by jamby
OT-CNC

Just saw your post this morning and only have a few minutes before leaving for the day. But I'll attach a copy of my current hal file.

Thanks for your help
Jim

File Attachment:

File Name: Alliant_V42.hal
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:

More
31 May 2018 21:38 #111363 by OT-CNC
I just glanced over your hal. I didn't see anything connected to your outputs and inputs:

# external output signals

# external input signals
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamby

More
01 Jun 2018 00:53 - 01 Jun 2018 00:56 #111368 by jamby
OT-CNC

I started playing around with the PNCconf wizard and created the "my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal". I don't pretend to have any idea what I was doing but here's a copy of it and the output of the diff comand run against this and my Alliant_V42.hal.

Now my question is: should the "net machine-is-enabled hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.3.output-00" have the +24vdc wire connected to it leading to the 801 p3-2 pin?? and which connection on the 7i77 is that??

Thanks
Jim

File Attachment:

File Name: my_LinuxCN...hine.hal
File Size:10 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: All-my-diff.doc
File Size:9 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 00:56 by jamby. Reason: add omited file

More
01 Jun 2018 02:49 #111374 by OT-CNC
That should be physical pin1 on the output connector. output-00. Look over the mesa docs for the specific screw terminal.
I assume you have the 24v power supplied to the field connector on the board. The output-00 physical pin 1 will go to the P3 enable and the ground will go back to the 7i77 field negative terminal block. I don't remember if any specific jumpers need to be set on the 7i77 for the field power. Check the docs first.

More
02 Jun 2018 02:02 #111430 by jamby
AndyPugh or BigJohnT

I received the gigabyte ga-j1900n-d3v and some memory for it. It has two power connections, one atx 24 pin and a atx 12vdc 4 pin so it doesn't look like it can use a picoPSU-80. I have an older atx power supply I can use so that's not a big deal.
But the manual recommends having a CPU fan. I didn't think these smaller motherboards needed one. What's your experience about cpu fans??

Thanks
Jim

More
02 Jun 2018 09:46 #111450 by andypugh

I received the gigabyte ga-j1900n-d3v and some memory for it. It has two power connections, one atx 24 pin and a atx 12vdc 4 pin so it doesn't look like it can use a picoPSU-80.

The 20-pin PicoPSU plugged in to the 24-pin socket works fine (it will only fit in one position).

You might need this to power the 4 pin 12V www.mini-box.com/4-Pin-P4-Power-Cable_2
Or the MB might work just fine without the 12V connected.

I don't expect that you are fitting a floppy drive, so that 4 pin Molex is probably spare.

There isn't much limit to what you can connect together once you turn the soldering iron on as long as you have the plugs.

More
02 Jun 2018 20:49 #111474 by jamby
Andy
Yeah that' s a good thought, "There isn't much limit to what you can connect together once you turn the soldering iron on as long as you have the plugs. "
So I ordered a plug and dug out my iron.

I'd prefer not to use a cpu fan but I don't want to smoke the cpu!
What do you think of the cpu fan??

Thanks
Jim

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds