2nd stage of Crusader II retrofit

More
02 Jun 2018 20:55 #111476 by jamby
OT-CNC

Well its not as hard as I made it but now I have everything wired through Linuxcnc....

Machine enable
X Y Z both limits
External E-Stop button

are all working.

Now I have made a hardboard mockup of the control box I will make from aluminium and I am waiting for several pieces to come buy ups-donkey. Once they arrive I will try to get the gigabyte MB and 5i25/7i77 installed wired and working.
Lots of fun left.

On you control box (front) you have a E-Stop and a couple of other buttons. What do the other buttons do??

Thanks for you help again.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2018 21:37 #111480 by andypugh

What do you think of the cpu fan??

I have never run one. But I have used MBs that were designed to be passive-cooled

More
02 Jun 2018 22:50 #111485 by OT-CNC

On you control box (front) you have a E-Stop and a couple of other buttons. What do the other buttons do??

Upper green button is pc power on/off. The white button is coolant on/off, the green is cycle start and red is pause/resume. There is an external USB connector as well.

More
03 Jun 2018 00:05 - 03 Jun 2018 00:06 #111490 by jamby
OT-CNC

Are the cycle start and pause/resume buttons momentary or latching?
I believe the definitions in the hal file you posted contain the definitions for these

# External Program Pause/Resume and Run/Step Buttons
# Pause/Resume Section
net pause-resume-btn and2.0.in0 and2.1.in0 <= hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-12
net pause-on toggle2nist.0.is-on and2.0.in1 and2.3.in1 <= halui.program.is-paused
net run-on and2.1.in1 <= halui.program.is-running
net pause-sig or2.0.in0 <= and2.0.out
net resume-sig or2.0.in1 <= and2.1.out
net toggle-ok toggle.0.in <= or2.0.out
net togglesig toggle2nist.0.in <= toggle.0.out
net toggleon halui.program.pause <= toggle2nist.0.on
net toggleoff halui.program.resume <= toggle2nist.0.off
# Run/Step Section
net run-step-btn and2.2.in0 and2.3.in0 <= hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-11
net idle-on and2.2.in1 <= halui.program.is-idle
# net pause.on and 2.3.in1 <= halui.program.is-paused
# and2.3.in1 was added in the net pause-on statement in Pause/Resume Section
net run-sig halui.mode.auto halui.program.run <= and2.2.out
net step-sig halui.program.step <= and2.3.out

#This is how they function:

#Pressing Run/Step will begin executing a program.

#Pressing Hold/Resume while a program is running will pause the program.

#Pressing Run/Step while a program is paused will single step the program.

#Pressing Hold/Resume while a program is paused will return it to normal run mode.

I don't yet use coolant so that's not a problem but I like the rest.

Thanks
Jim
Last edit: 03 Jun 2018 00:06 by jamby.

More
04 Jun 2018 13:31 #111600 by OT-CNC
Yes the buttons are momentary.

More
05 Jun 2018 03:50 #111644 by jamby
OT-CNC

Besides the statements in the hal file for the start/stop pause/resume buttons is there any other information that has to be added to the ini or custom hal files?? or any other places??
So I connect the +24vdc lead to the momentary switch, and the other leg of the switch to TB8 12 and 11 ?? am I looking at that right?

For the oiler to work

# --- MACHINE-IS-ENABLED and oil pump ---
net machine-is-enabled hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00 hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-04

do you connect a lead from TB8 pin4 to the lead to the oiler?

Thanks
Jim

More
05 Jun 2018 19:41 - 05 Jun 2018 19:45 #111700 by OT-CNC

So I connect the +24vdc lead to the momentary switch, and the other leg of the switch to TB8 12 and 11 ?? am I looking at that right?

Yes and you can connect the inputs to whatever pin you prefer on TB8 0-15.

do you connect a lead from TB8 pin4 to the lead to the oiler?

I don't know the electrical requirements of your oiler. But if it's like my 110v AC bijur you'll need a relay to turn it on. In which case, the output-04 is physical pin 5 on TB8 output that controls the relay.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 19:45 by OT-CNC. Reason: quotes
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamby

More
05 Jun 2018 20:41 - 06 Jun 2018 02:42 #111703 by jamby
OT-CNC

Good news, I checked out how the manual/auto switch is working with the new configuration and all is working as before the conversion. The spindle works in both modes.
While looking into the spindle I found the oiler connection was made thru the same box on the back of the servo cabinet. The oiler is powered off the magnetic switch for the 3-ph spindle drive, but it gets 120 vac from the same mag switch and that power is there any time the system is enabled.
So no worry, well aside from why the oiler is isn't running quite like I believe it should. There is plenty of oil running all over from the times i pumped the primer today.

Most of the parts for the new motherboard and the connections to everything else are coming in so it looks like my next effort will be constructing the aluminium housing and installing everything.

Thanks again for your help I would not have gotten this far without it.
Jim
Last edit: 06 Jun 2018 02:42 by jamby.

More
07 Jun 2018 23:46 #111953 by jamby
Hey

I added the run/step pause/resume to the hal file and wired in two cheap switches from the junk pile and bingo, It works. Only problems were because of the switches. I watch them thru the "show hal configuration" panel and the switching was a bit hit and miss but it works well enough. I just wish I could remember the buttons on the Allen Bradley, and Giddings & Lewis controllers I've run. Just been to long.

Jim

More
23 Jun 2018 21:08 #112804 by jamby
Hey

I am still working on this. Grandkids graduation and a few other things got in the way and now I am agonizing over whether to mount the mother board as you see it in the pictures, or mount it to the back of the box. It has 3/8 of an inch clearance now but I would never be able to connect to the second connection on the 5i25 in this position (as in possible 4th axis) but mounting to the back squeezes the 7i77 and connections. Ummmm.

Thanks
Jim
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds