Retrofitting Maho MH600E 1989 - Meas 5i25 & 7i77

More
27 Jun 2020 20:06 #172904 by Onkelmat
Yes you´re right,
after rereading the shematics I found out that there is pin 203 Gnd and 204 24V+ always on, when machine is on. So thats okay now.
When i power up the machine the cards have instantly 24V+
I think i´ll hook the pc power on button to the machine power on button, so that everything boots as one unit. And looks cooler :dry:

So i´ve mounted the cards at their final space at the door panel. At first i wanted to place them under the Mainboard but i think the ribbon cables wouldn´t be long enough and the wiring would be a pain in the ass. So there is next to the Relais board some space where the cards fit.
I need some stand offs for them, but since the plate is painted i think this will do for the time i´m setting everything up.

I´ve wasted almost the whole day figuring out why Linux throws an error that it can´t find Pins that are assigned to the 7i84.
I´ve connected the card via Ethernet to the Mainboard....my stupid ass did not notice that that is not the way it was intended to be. So i´ve ordered the missing 7ixx what ever that looks like a cheap ethernet hub.

If i have time tomorrow i´ll move all the pins that are not connected to the gearing to the 7i77 and try my luck.
I´m not really sure how to setup the drives and the glasscales. For the Exeboard, i´ll have to get some pin headers to connect a custom cable.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2020 20:29 #172905 by PCW
You can connect one 7I84 directly to the 7I77 (7I77 manual page 10)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onkelmat

More
27 Jun 2020 20:42 - 27 Jun 2020 20:44 #172909 by Onkelmat
yeh...i´ve noticed...I thought i´d connect it over ethernet xD

EDIT: OMFG are you kidding me ?! I´ve been searching for like 6h straight for that solution. And while reading that manual quite a few times i only remembered the "cut in half" part. But in my memory it was related to some joke I´ve might read somewhere and I´ve closed that option for me.
So i´ll stop my order for the 7i47 xD
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 20:44 by Onkelmat.

More
27 Jun 2020 20:49 - 27 Jun 2020 20:50 #172912 by tommylight
You can wire the 7i84 directly to the 7i77 as it has a port for that, there is an easy way to make a cable for it by cutting a RJ45 cable explained in the 7i77 manual, takes about 5 minutes to make and wire, no programming involved.
You did not need to buy another card for that.
To late.....
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 20:50 by tommylight. Reason: More info

More
27 Jun 2020 22:33 #172926 by Onkelmat
I just stopped the order. I´ll do the cable tomorrow.

There is one question bugging me all the time. I´ve never seen a mention in Linuxcnc how to implement glasscales. Do i miss something ?

More
28 Jun 2020 04:10 #172946 by Aciera
The glassscales are connected to the encoder inputs of your mesa card. After running through those EXE converters.

More
29 Jun 2020 07:24 #173058 by Onkelmat
Ok i can now latch on the machine. Emergency line is ok. 24V+ Supply is ok.
7i84 now connected with the 7i77 manual page 10 instructions.
Servos are energized. The are moving without being connected to +-10V

I have a question regarding the 10+-V thing. Is it important wich way i connect the +-10V or does it only change direction if wrong wired ?

Does anyone know how the Pinheader of the Relaioard is numbered.

the cable has a red marking for 1 and is 37x1
the pin header is 2x20 Pins and has a marking for 1 too.

how do i match the cable to the pins ?

the pin header viewed from upon top.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 2 1
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 20

but when i assign a signal to the second cable it comes out at pin 20 on the board.
when i assign a signal to the third cable, it comes out at number two.

More
29 Jun 2020 07:58 #173062 by RotarySMP
Sorry, was busy and not monitoring the new threads here for the last week. Welcome to MAHO E series retrofit.

From your questions, you are rediscovering a number of the issues I also had. Drop me a PM on Practical Machinist forum, with your email address, and I will send you the collected knowledge of "how to retrofit a MAHO" I put together while doing mine. It it pretty well structured, and should help you work through it systematically, so you dont have to reinvent this wheel. I have snap shots of the wiring changes I made in that manual. Not sure if yours will be identical though, that is were you really need a set of wiring diagrams to do such a retrofit. I screwed up the ribbon cable wiring from the 28A1 relay board to the 7i84 the first time I did it as well.

I few things from your posts so far:
1/ Contact DMG and get the wiring diagrams for your machine if you dont already have them.
2/ While you can power the 7i77's 5V from the 5i25, once you add the encoders, you are likely to exceed the Mesa's allowed current draw. I recommend you add a separate 5V din rail mount PSU to power the 7i77 and adjust the jumpers accordingly.
3/ If you are going to do a control panel (rather than just have a PC, monitor and Keyboard laying around), I would recommend adding a 7i73 to interface the control panel. I didn't do that, and needed a lot of discrete wiring, which a 7i73 would have replaced by a single ethernet cable.
4/ Since you will then have 2 ethernet cable daughter boards (7i73 and 7i84, you could consider adding a 7i74 to simply the connection, or make up one of Peter's interface boards:

5/ Make up one of Peters pendants. I did my own before he posted this, and am still not finished with it.

The polarity of the +/-10V analog Servo control is not important. You can switch the behaviour by adding minus in the INI file. I'll download and post my current config files this evening. If you wire it that same as mine, you won't need to use PNCConf, but you will need to compile the Gearbox.comp into your linuxcnc build before it will work.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onkelmat

More
01 Jul 2020 17:46 #173326 by Onkelmat
i don´t understand the e-stop hook up.

Aaaand where can i find a pinout for the exe board ?

i can run the spindle cw and ccw. stop with break works but it seems i can´t run the spindle on 400v ? onl partly like 110v or 90v

More
01 Jul 2020 18:37 #173330 by RotarySMP
There are relays to jog the spindle back and forward with only 90V, which is used during gear changing to help the gears engage.

If you are have connected 11k9 or 11k10 to LinuxCNC's spindle forward/ reverse, you have connected it to the jogging relays.

To get the spindle turning under power, you need to energise both a direction relay (1K9 or 1K10) and then energise 1k8 to turn it on.

Do you have wiring diagrams? If you don't, you need to either send me your email address through Practical machinists PM function so I can send you my "How to convert a Maho manual" which will save you weeks of reinventing the wheel, as I have all this stuff in there, or go systematically through the entire MH400E thread, as I have posted basically all the wiring changes you need to make into that thread (assuming the wiring is identical between a 400E and 600E, which might be a unwise assumption).

Here is my EXE hook up diagram. My MAHO Exe board needed also 12V to each channel, which I pulled of the PC PSU.

On my machine, one channel of the EXE was DOA, and a second drifted as it warmed up. I replaced those two channels with stand alone EXE from Ebay-Kleinanzeigen. The stand alone EXE's don't need 12V. Just 5V.
Mark
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds