Retrofitting Maho MH600E 1989 - Meas 5i25 & 7i77

More
09 Jul 2020 06:32 #174057 by Onkelmat
I´ll try to use the gear comp.
I couldn´t find a tutorial on how to implement comps and .py but maybe it find out today.

I´ve tried to locate the restart cause. The machine still randomly restarts when only the 19k1 is attached to one of the boards. SOmetimes it restarts random sometimes when i move an axis fast or when the hydraulic latches.

I have the feeling it restarts more often, wehn i´ve attached 2 or 3 glasscales.
But then it happens very often when only the mains of the maho is on and i start linuxcnc. Before the gui comes up the pc restarts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2020 08:08 #174067 by RotarySMP
As I said earlier, the instructions for compiling the gearbox.comp ist in the github wiki...
github.com/jin-eld/mh400e-linuxcnc/wiki/...-Component---Testing

Do you still have the Mesa 7i77 powered by the 5i25? If so, the encoders + 7i77 current draw almost definitely exceed the 5i25 current capacity. But I don't know enough about that to know if it is pulling down the PC's 5V rail enough to cause rebooting. Is your PC PSU powered off the MAHO's 110V AC Rail? Have you tried a different PC PSU? The MAHO's 110V AC Rail is certainly affected by the load on the main transformers, as my monitor blanks occasionally when the spindle motor starts.

More
09 Jul 2020 08:21 #174071 by tommylight
You should double check your wiring, there is something very wrong there.

More
09 Jul 2020 18:44 #174120 by Onkelmat
Actual status:

- Encoders on all Axis working
- Servos on all Axis working
- Vogel lubrication works via HAL
- Spindle on, cw, ccw working (gotta check if it´s really on 400V and not 90V), sound quiet to me, but it´s only 800rpm now
- Index on all Axis works
- Homing works
- Toolrelease works via HAL
- E-Stop works
- Coolantpump works via HAL
- running LinuxCNC splash program works

• I´ve wired the psu from the pc to supply the 5V for the 7i77. It has a max cap of something like 5A. So there should be enough resources for the hungry encoders.

• I´ve unplugged each axis and tested, sometimes it runs longer sometimes instant reboot

• I´ve swapped the EXE inputs, still the same, random reboot

• I´ve connected the cards to the other 24V Rail, random reboot

• I´ve double and triple checked the jumpers
  • For the Jumpers...I have a question, maybe I already asked:
    There is 5v Logic on the 7i77 TB1 tu run the encoders and Logic power, that can be supplied by the 5i25 OR TB1 5V from external source. You need an extra 24V Source for the orange block TB2 Fieldpower, for Fieldpower you need an extra 5V BUT you can set the jumper to the left side and Logic power for the in and outputs is drawn from the 24V that you give to TB2 pin 1-4 ?
    My question in short: All in all you need 5V to TB1 and 24V to TB2 and W1 left ?
    If yes thats what i have.

• I´ve marked the reboot option of Linux to prevent programs to restart the computer by themselfes, still random restarts

• Sometimes, when the machine is on for a longer time, the pc reboots less often.

• Here is the most strange part:

this is the situation:
    - Maho mains is ON
    - the vent for the electirc cabinet is running low, nothing is active. Only power supplies of the maho are energized 19K1 not latched.
    - i start Linux cnc
    - when the Linuxcnc Splashscreen closes -> restart.

So this implies something from Linux triggers the restart. I´ve then deleted almost the complete HAL but linux rewrites it..
    Is there a documentation what LinuxCNC does with the cards on initial start ? Or can i monitor it ?
    This happens very very often. So I think linux is doing something to the cards that causes a restart.

More
    09 Jul 2020 19:43 - 09 Jul 2020 19:50 #174128 by PCW
    At least for debugging, I would not power the 7I77 5V from PC power
    because if you have a 5V fault of some kind it will reset the PC

When LInuxCNC starts, it will not turn on any external outputs unless this is
    specifically done in your hal file
    Last edit: 09 Jul 2020 19:50 by PCW.

More
    09 Jul 2020 20:11 #174133 by tommylight

this is the situation:
    - Maho mains is ON
    - the vent for the electirc cabinet is running low, nothing is active. Only power supplies of the maho are energized 19K1 not latched.
    - i start Linux cnc
    - when the Linuxcnc Splashscreen closes -> restart.

That is telling you exactly where the problem is......

1. So this implies something from Linux triggers the restart.
    2. I´ve then deleted almost the complete HAL but linux rewrites it..
    3. Is there a documentation what LinuxCNC does with the cards on initial start ?
    4. Or can i monitor it ?
    5. So I think linux is doing something to the cards that causes a restart.

1. Yes it does, but it is not Linux at fault.
    2. Why would you delete the complete hal? and Linux will not rewrite anything if not explicitly told to do so.
    3. Yes there is, but on a lot of documentation for both the LinuxCNC and cards in use.
    4. Yes, you need a DVM with memory function or min/max function.
    5. ............... i see PCW has already replied
    -
    -Plug the PC on another socket in the shop, preferably not the same phase as the Maho,
    -find another PC to test with, they are 50$ and up, so not worth the time lost chasing gremlins,
    -if you do have a DVM with the above functions, monitor the 5V supply for both min and max values, under no circumstances they should deviate by more than 5%, or from 4.75 to 5.25V. I think for Mesa that should be even lower, like 2%.
    -check if the PC power cord has grounding, do not use anything without ground on a machine.
    -power the PC and 7i77 without powering the Maho, see if you get restarts. If yes, throw that Pc and get a new one. If no, something is wrong with one of the above or with the wiring/grounding or the supply voltage is dropping to the point of resetting the PC when Maho is turned on.

More
    09 Jul 2020 20:45 #174136 by Onkelmat

At least for debugging, I would not power the 7I77 5V from PC power
    because if you have a 5V fault of some kind it will reset the PC

I´ve taken the power from and extra line of the power supply for the pc. One of those cables that are used to run HDDs or Graphiccards

More
    09 Jul 2020 20:53 #174137 by PCW
    Right, I would not do that when debugging for the reason I mentioned above

More
    09 Jul 2020 20:56 #174139 by Onkelmat

1. Yes it does, but it is not Linux at fault.
    2. Why would you delete the complete hal? and Linux will not rewrite anything if not explicitly told to do so.
    3. Yes there is, but on a lot of documentation for both the LinuxCNC and cards in use.
    4. Yes, you need a DVM with memory function or min/max function.
    5. ............... i see PCW has already replied

1. I´ve only run the Pnccwizard and added some outputs, I´ll try tomorrow if one of those comments removed does help
    2. just to see if anything in the hal is causing the restart, maybe i made a mistake, but the hal was restored.
    3. :(
    4. I´ll try to check with my oscilloscope with high timeline
    5. Yeh, but somehow, in the very exact moment i start Linuxcnc the computer crashes. I can let the pc run a whole day without crash. As soon as LinuxCNC is running it crashes sooner or later. And in alot of cases right when LinuxCNC starts. Is there a way to reset the mesa cards to it´s very orignal state ? I can remeber that i had flashed them with some firmware long ago, maybe that could be a cause, but since they are running fine (except the crashing pc) i guess they are ok.

Is there a Linux guru that can tell me how to read Linux error logs ?

More
    09 Jul 2020 21:36 #174143 by tommylight
    dmesg
    or
    sudo dmesg

Moderators: cncbasher
    Time to create page: 0.199 seconds