Retrofitting Maho MH600E 1989 - Meas 5i25 & 7i77

More
01 Jul 2020 18:46 - 01 Jul 2020 18:55 #173331 by RotarySMP
Oh, and the EXE wiring was the only original diagram in my set which was wrong from MAHO.

I now have two like this...
www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/heid.../1358586733-226-1414

I don't know all the details Heidenhains Model number code, so I ended up with one which outputs 1µm resolution (a 602 D1-F), and one which outputs 5µm resolution (a 602 D5-F like this listing). Doesn't make any difference in practice.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 18:55 by RotarySMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 05:38 #173381 by Onkelmat
Okay,
there is no way to use the old Exe board ?
I´ve made new cables with fitting crimp connectors that go inside the old green pin connectors. But there are like 8 cables each.
I have no lcue what Ua1 and Ua0 means. And do i need to power them up ? with how much Voltage ? 5v ? 12v ?

More
02 Jul 2020 19:37 #173446 by Onkelmat
Today´s update:

Got the Heidenhain linear scales/encoders working.
The pinout was quite easy with the shematics from HH. The guy on the phone just needed the serial number which is printed on the board.
The 7i77 manual even tells you how to wire the encoders.
The 7i77 asks for QA0 AN QB0
I´ve wired up like this

7i77EXE
QA0Ua1
/QA0/Ua1
GND0V
QB0Ua2
/QB0Ua2
+5V+5V
IDX0???
/IDX0???

I couldn´t get the EXE Index signal to work. i´m not even sure how to wire it. I´ve got 3 cables left. UaS looks to me like it should be the index thing, but when i handwheel the Y-Axis over the index position the signal won´t trigger. I´not sure if i can even see it in HAL view.

Next i´ve noticed a strange behavior when i connected all three scales to the 7i77, that the computer randomly restarts, sometimes only when i move one axis. I then added my lab power supply to power the 7i77 5v into TB1. Jumpers are set to seperate vin and vfield.
Same behavior. The pc won´t restart when i power everything up first, and then start the pc at the very end. Not sure if this is a solution or not. I´m not sure if i´m missing something there.

Because i had a "run" of success I´ve decided to add one of the indramat drives to the 7i77. Quite easy job, remove the old cable from pin 7,9 and 10.
7 is shielding
9 is 10v+-
10 is 10v+-

so i´ve only connected two cables to 9 and 10, the other end to the "drive" connector on the 7i77

pin 1 and 2 two are not used because the maho enables the drives when no emergency is triggered and everything is in good state.

So i´ve connected pin 2 and 4 to 9 and 10 on the Indramatdrive. Then i powered the machine on and told someone to smash the Emergency stop when the axis runs away. But that was not need (spoiler: "yet"). The machine made a small 3mm run and ended with a Linuxcnc triggered emergencystop dued "following error".
After switching my cables 9 and 10 the axis did not move on powerup. So this was okay. Next would be to try some movement.

At this point you really want a hand on the emergency stop

I´ve chosen a small single movement of 5mm in any direction. The machine just ran like 300mm until i hit the emergency button on Linuxcnc. The guy on the hardware e-stop did not understand the situation and did not press it... If you do that with other persons involved explain them at first what should happen and how far you intend to move :)

So tomorrow I´ll try to tune the axis. The movement is like 5x off. And the speeds are crazy.
Any advice on tuning the axis with belt driven ballscrews ? Pncconig wizard wants to know thread pitch and gearratio etc. how to ?
Attachments:

More
02 Jul 2020 21:13 #173452 by tommylight

.......... I then added my lab power supply to power the 7i77 5v into TB1. Jumpers are set to seperate vin and vfield.

I really wish you would stop doing that, almost had a heart attack reading this
In the 7i77 manual it clearly states:
Set the 5i25/6i25 to power the 7i77 logic side with the respective jumpers on the 5i25/6i25 and 7i77
OR
again
OR
set the 5i25/6i25 to NOT power the 7i77 and power the 7i77 by supplying 5V to TB1
NEVER power the TB1 while you have the 7i77 set to get power from 5i25/6i25 and the 5i25/6i25 is set to deliver power to the 7i77.
The way you have it, you are back powering the whole 5V rail on the PC and everything in between.

5V on the TB1 has nothing to do with the Vin and Vfield and how they are set.

The crashing PC might be due to to much power draw from the 5V rail on the PC through 5i25/6i25 and 7i77 by the encoders, so change the jumpers on the 5i25/6i25 and 7i77 to have separate 5V on the 7i77, then add another 5V 2A power supply to TB1 on the 7i77.

More
02 Jul 2020 21:20 #173454 by tommylight

Any advice on tuning the axis with belt driven ballscrews ? Pncconig wizard wants to know thread pitch and gearratio etc. how to ?

Can you turn the motor by hand?
Mark a spot on the motor and on the moving part, turn the motor one full turn, measure how much the moving part has moved.
that will be the pitch, and the gear ratio 1:1. >Even if the gear ration is not 1:1, set it to 1:1 if you use this method to figure out the pitch.
Later on when you get the stuff working properly, you can fine tune the distance by using the Calibration menu, this will get you close enough, and much, much closer than what you have now.
Also, do NOT do anything without wiring the drive enable to 7i77 as it is not clear from you post if you already have that working.
That is a must, not an option, as any error or runaway will be immediately stopped by linuxcnc.

More
03 Jul 2020 00:13 #173473 by Onkelmat

.......... I then added my lab power supply to power the 7i77 5v into TB1. Jumpers are set to seperate vin and vfield.

I really wish you would stop doing that, almost had a heart attack reading this
In the 7i77 manual it clearly states:
Set the 5i25/6i25 to power the 7i77 logic side with the respective jumpers on the 5i25/6i25 and 7i77
OR
again
OR
set the 5i25/6i25 to NOT power the 7i77 and power the 7i77 by supplying 5V to TB1
NEVER power the TB1 while you have the 7i77 set to get power from 5i25/6i25 and the 5i25/6i25 is set to deliver power to the 7i77.
The way you have it, you are back powering the whole 5V rail on the PC and everything in between.

5V on the TB1 has nothing to do with the Vin and Vfield and how they are set.

The crashing PC might be due to to much power draw from the 5V rail on the PC through 5i25/6i25 and 7i77 by the encoders, so change the jumpers on the 5i25/6i25 and 7i77 to have separate 5V on the 7i77, then add another 5V 2A power supply to TB1 on the 7i77.

I set the jumpers as following BEFORE powering TB1 with a separate power supply
5i25 -> no power to daughter cards W1 and W2 down
7i77 -> no power from fpga card, and no connection between vin and vfield. W5 right, W1 right

Anyway, sometimes the computer restarts. I´ll try to see if i can makeout the restart problem.

More
03 Jul 2020 00:18 - 03 Jul 2020 00:19 #173474 by Onkelmat

Also, do NOT do anything without wiring the drive enable to 7i77 as it is not clear from you post if you already have that working.
That is a must, not an option, as any error or runaway will be immediately stopped by linuxcnc.

I´m not sure if that is enough, but Linux turned "machined enabled" off in that certain situation. That triggers the emergency chain on the Maho.
If Linux has situations that keeps the machine in "enabled state" while a critical error occurs, then i´d change the wiring. I´ll think of it tomorrow if i change it right away as you mention.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2020 00:19 by Onkelmat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Jul 2020 13:19 #173520 by tommylight

I set the jumpers as following BEFORE powering TB1 with a separate power supply

Oh good. Me very glad ! :)

More
03 Jul 2020 13:23 #173521 by tommylight

I´m not sure if that is enough, but Linux turned "machined enabled" off in that certain situation. That triggers the emergency chain on the Maho.

That is good, but it should be
E-stop disables the power to drives, pumps, fans, etc, not in all cases, that will depend from the machine, but servo drives do have a separate power just for that.
Enable should enable the drives to be ready for motion, and whatever else is needed.
Linuxcnc does not trigger the estop on following errors, it just triggers the disable, hence that has to be wired to the enable output to work properly.

More
03 Jul 2020 19:20 #173537 by Onkelmat
When Linux triggers the "machine enabled" to "not enabled" maho wired everything from start, that it triggers the e-stopchain and depowers all drives, pumps etc.
So it´s ok, but not the solution LinuxCNC intented to. Maybe i´ll change this later.

I´ve got that far that i wired all glasscales today and got them working. If anyone is interested, I´ve talked to Haidenhein again because we couldn´t find a way to use the "index/home" signal from the scales,. After wiring everything up i had 3 cables left.
UaS, Ua0 and /Ua0.
I tought that Ua0 and /Ua0 are the index signal, but it never triggered in Hal view.
I´ve turned the Y axis (z axis on old maho) per hand very very slow. It took 5 Minutes for like 5mm.
No Signal.

Then i´ve phoned Heidenhain and they confirmed Ua0 and /Ua0 as Index line.
So as i knew the location where the index should be (+-10mm) we hooked an oscilloscope from ebay to Ua0 and /Ua0. The Heidenhain guy said that the trigger should produce a spike somewhere between 0,7V and 1,3V.

So I´ve monitored the rawcounts of the encoder and turned the axis very very very very slow. Like 1-3 increments/second.
So i´ve moved the axis like 6 times forth and back until my buddy screamed the signal just died and came back.
So the index signal is 0,001mm "wide". The oscilloscope was set to like 5 seconds to even see the voltage spike when overrunning it.

After that I tried again to PID tune the axis but it was quite strange behavior. Jumping and jiggling and all crazy behavior and instand estop because of following errors.
So I´ve checked the encoderscaling again, that was off but did not help that much. The problem was "outputscale". I´ve been to lazy to check what that means. But on the Maho drives it should be set to 100 and not 1.
So after that i could drive the axis quite good. I almost cried because they sounded smoother than the when the Maho controller drove it.

For sure after some distance the following error came up and i think i´ll study some halscope tutorials :D But when i drive slower than 500mm/min it´s "okay".

I still have the power issue on the 7i84 and the random restart from the computer.
Today the computer restarted several times on different occasions.
1. turning 5V supply on or off.
2. turning machine mains on or off
3. doing nothing at all
4. mesa cards not even powered on at all (no 24v no 5v)

And then it worked for 5 hours straight.
What i noticed is, that the 7i77 and the 7i84 have no power without the 5v+ to Tb1 at the 7i77.
The 24V supply works, but i thought that you can power both cards via the 24v headers.
But when I check the rs422(what ever) port at the 7i84 the is no LED on and no connection when i don´t supply 5v+ to the 7i77 tb1.
When i connect 5v to Tb1 at the 7i77 everything works fine and the LED at the LAN port goes yellow/green.

Is that how it is supposed to work ? +5v to TB at 7i77 and 24v to both vfield headers on both cards ?
Or am I missing something ?
The manual says that you can work with one single power supply giving 24v to the vfiel header. (pin 1-5 get 24v+ and pin 8 GND)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds