Work with probe

More
28 Nov 2017 15:10 #102436 by Mech john
Replied by Mech john on topic Work with probe
I have same problem - must be in mdi mode... I have no idea why it stopped working. Surely we are not the only two people in the world trying to use it with the latest linuxcnc version?

cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2017 17:06 #102446 by coffeeking
Replied by coffeeking on topic Work with probe
Hmm I'll have to check mine, I've only just installed it off a live CD about a month back.

More
28 Nov 2017 19:12 #102451 by csbrady
Replied by csbrady on topic Work with probe

Hi CSBrady,
I was using the probe screen and all was working fine. I upgraded to master a couple of days ago and now it does not work fine. I have this strange ´must be in mdi mode´ issue. I looked at your patch but did not install it so far as reading your posts it seemed you could not get to the bottom of it... Any suggestions? How did you solve this problem?

I was able to solve the problem with the patch I posted and everything is working fine for me. What I was never able to figure out is why nobody else seemed to be running into the same problem. I suggest trying the patch and see if it works for you also.

Chris

More
28 Nov 2017 19:55 #102454 by lerman
Replied by lerman on topic Work with probe
You can find my ini file and the rest of my configuration stuff at:

www.se-ltd.com/~lerman/files/by_interface.pico.KLunivpwmv/

It's not very neat (actually, it's a mess), but consider it (like all of life) a work in progress.

Ken

More
29 Nov 2017 14:01 #102479 by Mech john
Hi Ken,
many thanks. I will have a play with it.

cheers,
john

More
29 Nov 2017 15:40 #102488 by Mech john
Hi Chris,
thanks for the reply. Sorry for asking a stupid question but I tried to apply the patch file and could not. I put it in the same directory as my probe_screen.py file and used ´patch < probe_screen.patch' I got the error message 'reversed or previously applied patch detected'. What am I doing incorrectly, how else do I apply the patch?

many thanks,
john

More
29 Nov 2017 16:22 #102489 by csbrady
[John,

It's been a while since I looked this and Is was not remembering correctly what I had done. I had two different problems. The "must be in MDI mode" error ended up being an issue with Gscreen and not with the probe code. If your using Gscreen I have a fix. Perhaps a similar problem has been introduced in another GUI. Are you using Axis?

The other issue was the probe functions returning before the probe sequence had completed. My patch fixes that but as far as I can tell I am the only one that experienced that problem. So in short the patch probably will not help you.

More
29 Nov 2017 16:28 #102490 by Mech john
Hi Chris,
I am using axis. The probe stuff was working fine before I upgraded to latest linuxcnc a couple of days ago. I have it as a tab I click - this is Gscreen?

cheers,
john

More
29 Nov 2017 16:44 #102494 by csbrady
I suspect that a change was introduced in Axis that is causing the problem. I am using a modified version of Gscreen and there was code that changed the mode when the interpreter went idle. Gscreen was changing the mode to manual and the probe functions were trying the set the mode to MDI. Maybe similar code got added to Axis.

A good start would be to look at a diff of the old and new axis files.

More
29 Nov 2017 21:18 #102509 by Mech john
Hi Chris,
there a quite a few axis files. Any idea where to start or more simply who might know about this?

I find it hard to believe I am the only one using this probe screen with the latest version having this problem.

how do i test your idea is there some way i can see the mode that axis is in?

cheers!

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds