LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users - Discussion

More
23 Sep 2021 15:10 #221431 by tommylight
Never used a 5i23, but i was sure no installation is required, just copy/paste the .bin files, recalled from when i was doing due diligence first time i ordered Mesa stuff.
Glad you figured it out, and yes the Mesa boards are magnificent pieces of enginiering!
Snowwy, older Mesa boards required having the bin file on the hdd at boot time they would load that as requested by loadrt in hal, new ones have that in EEPROM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2021 15:14 #221432 by snowgoer540

Snowwy, older Mesa boards required having the bin file on the hdd at boot time they would load that as requested by loadrt in hal, new ones have that in EEPROM.

I was not previously aware, so I'm glad to learn this, always love learning new things about this project.

I'm not sure if it should be included in my install docs or not, as I am not sure how common some of that older stuff is. But, I am open to suggestion. The discussion is also captured here, so that will likely help those in the future who have similar issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Sep 2021 15:18 #221434 by tommylight
Might wana check if they are still sold by Mesa, they are quite the beasts as Billy mentioned they can easily do 8KHz servo period, although i have pushed Mesa 5i25 or 6i25 ( not sure) to 4KHz.
And they have lots of pins, lots ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid, snowgoer540

More
23 Sep 2021 16:52 - 23 Sep 2021 16:54 #221441 by Clive S
@Greg

First thanks for taking the time for the MX Linux 19.4 docs etc.

I would like to try this. Some time ago I set up a 1200x1200 size plasma with PlasmaC using the axis gui this is about 70 miles from home. It is a production machine so don't want it off line. This has run fine but as you know PlasmaC is EOL so want to convert it to QT.

The plan is to make another ssd with MX and set it up at home first on my machine then take it over and swap out the ssd's.

The setup up is very similar to mine both using a Mesa 7i96

Would MX be stable enough for what I want to do?

Edit: will it work on 32 and 64 bit ?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2021 16:54 by Clive S.

More
23 Sep 2021 16:58 #221442 by snowgoer540
Quite welcome, happy to help.

Funny you should ask that because I was wondering the same thing just today. I was going to set up another pc for test stuff in the winter (cold in the garage :) ), the PC I have ear-marked for that is totally different than the PC at my machine, so I'll test it out and swap the drives one of these days (maybe sat/sun) and report back.

More
23 Sep 2021 16:59 #221443 by snowgoer540
Will what exactly work on 32 vs 64?

The images are different 32 to 64, so I'd guess swapping drives for different architectures would not work.  

More
23 Sep 2021 17:04 #221444 by billykid
At first glance it looks very promising MX 19.4 and simple. it has the root filemanager, file search and other nice things. the cnc seems to work well I also try the plasma so with only one system I do both, just a spare disk for safety.

More
23 Sep 2021 17:24 #221445 by Clive S

Will what exactly work on 32 vs 64?

The images are different 32 to 64, so I'd guess swapping drives for different architectures would not work.  

Yes. I was really asking if the qt would work on either. I have pc's with 32 and 64 bit architectures.

I suppose I should go with 64.

More
23 Sep 2021 23:58 #221469 by snowgoer540
I believe Qt is good to go on both 32 bit and 64 bit.  Though honestly I have not tried it on 32 bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
24 Sep 2021 00:40 #221473 by RNJFAB
Thanks snowgoer540 for putting this all together.

I'm just about to get a second PC and load this all up then swap out the one in the shed running the CNC.

Dont want to overwrite the shed one as same as other people, can't have the machine down & no internet in the shed yet.

I'll let you know how 'dummy proof' you have made the instructions.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds