Ethercat HAL driver

More
06 Dec 2015 16:00 #66511 by DaPeace
Replied by DaPeace on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Hey wazjebk, same here. changed my vmware-card on the virtual machine to intel and used the e1000e-driver and everything worked fine.
Now i need to order a card for my milling-computer.

Regards, Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2015 00:51 #66598 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ethercat HAL driver

Hi again,

today I once again try pci network card Tenda L8139D together with 8139too driver and system works without crashing now for more than 4 hours. I think that generic driver was not suitable for non of the cards.

Best regards.

That is a Realtek 8139 10/100 net card branded as Tenda, if i had to choose i would run away from Tenda.
Tom

More
08 Dec 2015 16:08 - 08 Dec 2015 16:09 #66632 by wazjebk
Replied by wazjebk on topic Ethercat HAL driver
HI,

I just use this card for testing at the moment. Do you have some bad experience with Tenda? Which network card than you recommend?

Best regards.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2015 16:09 by wazjebk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markux

More
08 Dec 2015 23:42 #66649 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Not me personally, but a lot my customers and friends say the reliability is hit and miss on them, same as TP Link. If they do work properly, they will do that all the time for a looong time, but some have a variety of intermittent problems.
On the other hand the 8029 and 8139 chips from realtech work like a charm, had and use several hundreds of them without a hitch, ever. Well apart from lighting strikes !!! :)
find intel PRO100 boards from older computers (should be some left on ebay for small change) if you want absolute reliability and compatibility with whatever OS or hardware. They just work.....for years and years without shut down. Also used several hundreds of them especially on servers and some of them have been ON for over 7 years. I think i still have 2 or 3 in my workshop that i left for when reliability must be absolute.
Regards,
Tom

More
13 Jan 2016 13:29 #68309 by Markux
Replied by Markux on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Hi guys,

Just to confirm that the combo from wazjebk (Realtek 8139 with a 8139too driver) works very well for over a week now.
Thanks for the solution.

I do however have another question; how do you add another Beckhoff module to the list of compatible hardware given here?

I need to make EL7041 module be supported (not EL7041-1000 which already exists and has been tested).

Thanks,
M

More
13 Jan 2016 14:59 #68313 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Ethercat HAL driver

I do however have another question; how do you add another Beckhoff module to the list of compatible hardware given here?

Follow the instructions here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BasicSteps

Then the bottom of every page has an "edit the text of this page" link.

You will need to know the name of the LinuxCNC penguin. A clue to the name can be gained from knowing that the sample program that carves a 3D penguin is called 3dchips.ngc

More
14 Jan 2016 09:57 #68351 by Markux
Hi andy,

Thanks for the reply, but I think there was a misunderstanding; I was asking what is needed in order to effectively add new hardware that is supported by the driver.
The problem is: When I enter a line in the .xml file such as:
<slave idx="2" type="EL7041" name="7041"/>
It says: ERROR: invalid slave type EL7041. ERROR: Parse error at line 6: parsing aborted.
This is bcs EL7041 is not in the list of supported hardware. EL7041-1000 is.
So I am guessing I need to add some data to that "glue" layer that automatically connects the registers/addresses in the hardware and assigns variables from the type lcec.0.2124.dout-1 for example...which is lcec_conf, right? So I was asking for a bit of help on this maybe..how to proceed and what are all of the files that need to be modified.

also I noticed on the gihub files that the hardware EL7041-1000 is added (done) by certain gentleman koppi if I'm not wrong. Does anyone maybe know where can I contact him? I don't think the file for EL7041 should be that different from EL7041-1000 but maybe I'm wrong...

Thanks
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nico2017

More
14 Jan 2016 11:59 #68356 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I have never used EtherCAT, and know nothing about how it works.
Note that the EtherCAT driver is not actually part of LinuxCNC (it has incompatible licensing terms)

More
14 Jan 2016 13:50 #68369 by cgc
Replied by cgc on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Hello,
write <slave idx="2" type="EL7041-1000" name="7041-1000"/>
and use the 7041.
It is running.

regards Frank

More
14 Jan 2016 15:47 #68378 by Markux
Hi Frank,

Yeah, I also thought of pretending I have 7041-1000, I wrote exactly as you said but without success.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. You sound like you can also practically confirm that this is working but it doesn't in my case:

Any advice on why is this happening?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds