Category: Turning
I have a small CNC job shop in my garage. I currently have a Sharp SV-2412SX VMC with a Fanuc control. I need to start taking some turning jobs. I have an Emco Maximat Super 11 manual lathe that I was thinking about doing a LinuxCNC conversion on. But the more I think about it, I want a heftier, more capable CNC lathe with an ATC. But I am not ready to drop another $25k+ on used machine.
Someone local is selling a Mazak QT8 with a CAM T-2 control for $2500. It needs work and it looks like a good candidate for a LinuxCNC retrofit.
I'm a software engineer by profession. I don't know much about LinuxCNC yet, but I am learning. I'm currently going through some classicladder tutorials, and HAL tutorials as well to get my head around what it takes to do a retrofit and better understand the LinuxCNC ecosystem.
Do you guys have any recommendations on where I should begin to better understand what existing components on the Mazak QT8 I can use and what existing components will need to be replaced because they won't work with LinuxCNC. I have a lot to learn, but I am not intimidated by projects like this. I just need some advice regarding the best place to start and how a map out a project like this.
Thanks!
Chris