Another plasma component...

More
09 Apr 2019 02:38 #130543 by phillc54
Lunch time here for me Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2019 16:58 - 09 Apr 2019 17:08 #130563 by JTknives
I have been holding off asking questions on here because I figured I should be able to muddle my way through it. Well I got everything installed and everything seems to have worked. Also it seems that zero stray cats where installed which in guessing is good lol. But I have come to a point where I'm kinda embarrassed to ask for help. How do I run this new fangled thing-a-ma-bob? In the home/user folder I have a folder that says LinuxCNC and LinuxCNC-dev. I'm guessing the LinuxCNC is from my previous install. I dug around the dev folder buck can't see anything to run. If I open a comand prompt and type LinuxCNC it looks like my standard cnc that opens. I dig around in the samples listed and can't find anything named like the screen shots posted on the first posts by the OP. Thanks guys - JT

My plasma table is on the cusp of being completed so I figured why not test it with the new stuff you guys have been slaving over.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2019 17:08 by JTknives.

More
09 Apr 2019 20:26 - 09 Apr 2019 20:32 #130573 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
No need to be embarrassed. we are here to help. So it sounds like you have installed the linuxcnc as a run in place (RIP) system and you also have an earlier installed version.

So by default, all of your path variables will be pointing to the earlier installed version. So open a terminal window and navigate to ~/linuxcnc_dev folder then try typing
$ . ../scripts/rip-environment 
$ linuxcnc 

There is a good tutorial here which describes this:
www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php/LinuxCNC_Run_In_Place
note the dots before the first slash. that is important

So you should now open the compiled version.
If you have not yet compiled plasmac, you can make a new folder ~/plasmac and follow the instructions to compile again except connect to Phill's git, not linuxcnc's

Good looking machine!

EDIT: what you are doing is setting the runtime environment variables to look in the ~/linuxcnc-dev folder as all of the RIP executables are in that folder, not installed in the system folders as is the case with the standard install. Al all errors should get printed to the terminal window if you stuff something up.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2019 20:32 by rodw.

More
09 Apr 2019 23:03 #130578 by tommylight

How do I run this new fangled thing-a-ma-bob?

That "thing" looks very nice.

More
09 Apr 2019 23:46 #130580 by phillc54
Please note that I have removed the attachment from this post as there is an error that could inadvertently turn on the torch while probing...
Working on a solution.

Cheers, Phill.

More
10 Apr 2019 04:59 - 10 Apr 2019 05:34 #130586 by phillc54
I have just pushed an update:

Probing should be fixed...

Add a pin named probe-start-height, when probing Z will rapid down at the setup speed and when it gets to this height will move down at probe speed. If this is left at 0 then Z will move down at probe speed.
I have not added a spinbox into any of the sim configs yet...

Next step is to allow multiple ohmic-attempts before falling back to float switch. At the moment it is whatever occurs first.
A bit of feedback on this would be good.
If we set ohmic-max-attempts to 1, does that mean:
1: Try a probe, if ohmic unsuccessful go to probe start height then probe again, accepting either ohmic or float switch
or does it mean:
2: Try a probe, if ohmic unsuccessful keep probing until float switch
I am leaning toward 1, then 0 would behave as per 2 which would be the setting if you had no ohmic probe..

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 05:34 by phillc54.

More
11 Apr 2019 06:26 #130643 by JTknives
You kinda lost me. I flowed the how to that was included with the download. But I did not see any plasmac and I don't really know how to compile or change a git. Sorry I feel so out of my league here.

More
11 Apr 2019 06:32 #130645 by phillc54
Have a read through this document to get a bit of background on building LinuxCNC.
Have you seen the "quick look" section of the first post in this thread.

Cheers, Phill.

More
11 Apr 2019 06:44 #130646 by JTknives
Yeah I read through that entire page thats how i was able to get it installed. but when I go looking for these after i type in linuxcnc thy are not listed
Sample Configurations/sim/axis/plasmac
Sample Configurations/sim/gmoccapy/plasmac
Sample Configurations/sim/qtvcp_screens/plasmac

More
11 Apr 2019 06:47 #130648 by phillc54
You need to run LinuxCNC exactly as described in the first post or as described by Rod above

Cheers, Phill.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.824 seconds