Another plasma component...

More
23 May 2019 23:37 #134751 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Another plasma component...
@JT,

The blue plasma ingnition light where you talked about in your previous post's has to do with the statue that u problably
did not used the orginal arc start signal, provided in your case (xp30 without cpc) as the manual torch start signal.

A xp30 has 30 amp's dc to wrap around your table / machine / body.
www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Be aware of deadly shock's. It's everywhere provided in the safety manual's by HP and TD in all languages.
I can only say to readers. Don't do this at home. Plasma inverters are deadly !! It's the electric chair in a different way when
not used by law.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2019 00:07 #134754 by thefabricator03

@JT,

The blue plasma ingnition light where you talked about in your previous post's has to do with the statue that u problably
did not used the orginal arc start signal, provided in your case (xp30 without cpc) as the manual torch start signal.

A xp30 has 30 amp's dc to wrap around your table / machine / body.
www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Be aware of deadly shock's. It's everywhere provided in the safety manual's by HP and TD in all languages.
I can only say to readers. Don't do this at home. Plasma inverters are deadly !! It's the electric chair in a different way when
not used by law.

I agree with Groutis,

I know most of us here are not uneducated in regards to electrical safety, But messing around with the inside of a inverter plasma power source just is not a good idea. JT will more than likely knows what he is doing but if someone else reading this tries out what he is doing and gets it wrong it might not end very well for them.

My advice is to sell your current machine and buy a model which has the CPC port. Upgrade to a proper machine torch while your at it. Its a shame to see these great machines being built and then still using a hand torch.

More
24 May 2019 00:27 - 24 May 2019 00:28 #134755 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Another plasma component...
@Stefan,

He can hold the xp30. It's nice for a workshop or for a job on the stairs.

I think JT need's a TD 40i. This one he can connect to his Mesa digitally (no slow python modbuss).
He can cut at 40 amps, he can write text at 10 amp's in the same program. He need's this.

I have made a cat5 connection to this inverter with a very simple connection sheet he can borrow. And he is the man !!!
Last edit: 24 May 2019 00:28 by Grotius.

More
24 May 2019 01:10 #134761 by JTknives
Thanks guys for the warnings. I did not mean to sound snippy or disrespectful.

I am planning on buying a 45xp with machine torch and keep the 30XP for hand work. But that will be next year. I had only looked at hypertherm as that’s what I know. I will look at the Thermal dynamic.

More
24 May 2019 02:05 #134770 by phillc54

My advice is to sell your current machine and buy a model which has the CPC port. Upgrade to a proper machine torch while your at it. Its a shame to see these great machines being built and then still using a hand torch.

That would be perfect if possible but I cannot justify the cost for a hobby machine so I will also be modifying my 30XP that my employer bought for me when I retired.

Cheers, Phill.

More
24 May 2019 02:45 #134773 by thefabricator03
So the 30XP does not come with a CPC port? Can one be added? Does that option start at the 45 amp models?

I can understand about the cost but if you get it wrong it could cost more than a plasma machine is worth. Not saying you will get it wrong but I am willing to bet that there is a lot of people lurking these forums that will try to modify these machines as well and there is a potential for them to get it wrong.

But I guess that comes down to how much research one does, I am sure anyone can do it safely if they do the research.

More
24 May 2019 02:58 #134775 by phillc54

So the 30XP does not come with a CPC port? Can one be added? Does that option start at the 45 amp models?

No, No and Yes.

The 30XP is a hand machine only, it doesn't even have a plug in torch. It's a bit restrictive but it is what I have and I am sure it will perform great for what I will be doing.

Cheers, Phill.

More
24 May 2019 04:40 #134776 by thefabricator03

No, No and Yes.

The 30XP is a hand machine only, it doesn't even have a plug in torch. It's a bit restrictive but it is what I have and I am sure it will perform great for what I will be doing.

Cheers, Phill.

Judging from the videos JT has posted it looks like it has the same cut quality as its large cousins.

What do you plan to cut with your machine Phil?

More
24 May 2019 04:44 - 24 May 2019 04:44 #134777 by phillc54

Judging from the videos JT has posted it looks like it has the same cut quality as its large cousins.

What do you plan to cut with your machine Phil?

Just lightweight decorative pieces, it's only a 600 x 600 (2' x 2') table squeezed into my garage.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 24 May 2019 04:44 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
24 May 2019 08:05 - 24 May 2019 08:26 #134786 by billykid
but then it is the same as mine! about 700 x 600 mm
I'm doing it for fun now that I've stopped working :-)
my generator has the pneumatic torch as a trigger and not a problem, already used with linuxcnc and parallel port and a self-built analogue thc.
you will have to be careful with the high frequency, insert the torch cables into a shield sock.
for the signals without going inside the generator I made a small metal box with current sensor on branch + (ground) and the torch on relay and voltage divider, so the plasma remains usable even manually changing the torch with its original coupling.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2019 08:26 by billykid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds