RS485 For Hypertherms

More
12 Apr 2020 01:45 #163698 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

One more question with regard to updating. Is there a place that shows what version I am on? I had previously remembered a build in the window header, but mine just says "AXIS 2.9.0~pre0 on Plasma". Was thinking it would be nice if there was a definitive way to tell I'm running the latest. Maybe in the help about, or in the Config tab?

From a terminal run
$ man plasmac
You would need to run rip-environment before you did that. If you don't like:
$ . ~/linuxcnc-dev-scripts-rip-environment
you could run:
$ source ~/linuxcnc-dev-scripts-rip-environment
the . is a just shotcut for source

1. The very first time I enabled comms after updating, I couldn't change the gas pressure to anything but 0. Changing modes seems to have fixed it, but it seems like there might be a bug there that needs to be squished.
2. The tooltip for hovering over amps remained the same whether or not comms was enabled. This went away like the issue above when I changed modes, and restarted Plasmac. All the other new tool tips just worked the first time though, so not sure what was up there.

Bizarre, it runs fine here. Gas pressure won't change until comms is established, are you sure it was.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2020 01:56 #163701 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

One more question with regard to updating. Is there a place that shows what version I am on? I had previously remembered a build in the window header, but mine just says "AXIS 2.9.0~pre0 on Plasma". Was thinking it would be nice if there was a definitive way to tell I'm running the latest. Maybe in the help about, or in the Config tab?

From a terminal run
$ man plasmac
You would need to run rip-environment before you did that. If you don't like:
$ . ~/linuxcnc-dev-scripts-rip-environment
you could run:
$ source ~/linuxcnc-dev-scripts-rip-environment
the . is a just shotcut for source

1. The very first time I enabled comms after updating, I couldn't change the gas pressure to anything but 0. Changing modes seems to have fixed it, but it seems like there might be a bug there that needs to be squished.
2. The tooltip for hovering over amps remained the same whether or not comms was enabled. This went away like the issue above when I changed modes, and restarted Plasmac. All the other new tool tips just worked the first time though, so not sure what was up there.

Bizarre, it runs fine here. Gas pressure won't change until comms is established, are you sure it was.

So what does the RIP environment script do then exactly? Maybe that a hang up in my head.

Yea comms were established because I could change amperage and at that exact moment I was verifying error messages came and went.

Actually, it started with an error message, and everything started working right when it cleared, and I switched modes. I wonder if the two are related now. I could try to reproduce it in the morning.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:12 #163704 by phillc54

So what does the RIP environment script do then exactly? Maybe that a hang up in my head.

It sets up the environment variables like PATH etc. to point to the RIP version of LinuxCNC rather than where an expected installed version would be.
From rip-environment script the new environment is valid for only that terminal session.
From the linuxcnc script (the one you used) the new environment is valid for only that run of LinuxCNC.

Yea comms were established because I could change amperage and at that exact moment I was verifying error messages came and went.

Current may be changed at any time, it is not dependent on communications.

Actually, it started with an error message, and everything started working right when it cleared, and I switched modes. I wonder if the two are related now. I could try to reproduce it in the morning.

Let me know how it goes.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:21 #163708 by snowgoer540

It sets up the environment variables like PATH etc. to point to the RIP version of LinuxCNC rather than where an expected installed version would be.
From rip-environment script the new environment is valid for only that terminal session.
From the linuxcnc script (the one you used) the new environment is valid for only that run of LinuxCNC.

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. One more question about the RIP (for now :)) what about pncconf? Is that always running from the installed version?

Current may be changed at any time, it is not dependent on communications.

Sorry I wasn’t clear there. I could see the amperage changing in the PM panel.

Let me know how it goes.

Will do!

More
12 Apr 2020 02:30 #163711 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Won't the LinuxCNC packages from the buildbot run on Mint?

I’m not sure, I think Rob said it wouldn’t. I’m willing to try (I don’t know the repercussions...).

I always use Mint with Mate or XFCE, and i always use the buildbot packages for Stretch, it always works.
Yesterday it worked for a friend through the phone, and he is very challenged in the "follow directions" department, example:
Me: right click on the linuxcnc-userspace-something-something-amd64.deb and clock on save link as. Now double click on that from the file explorer, what does it say?
Him: Nothing!
Me:did it open a new window?
Him: yes
Me: what's on that window?
Him:nothing, same links as on that page i downloaded from.
Me: not the bloody save page as from the menu, right click on the link, right click..........
It was a long day, but he got it eventually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
12 Apr 2020 02:31 #163712 by phillc54

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. One more question about the RIP (for now :)) what about pncconf? Is that always running from the installed version?

All executables will run from where your environment PATH is pointed.

You can check this yourself, open up two terminals, in one terminal type:
$ which pncconf
in the other terminal type:
$ source ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment
$ which pncconf
you will see they are both from different locations.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:53 #163720 by snowgoer540

Won't the LinuxCNC packages from the buildbot run on Mint?

I’m not sure, I think Rob said it wouldn’t. I’m willing to try (I don’t know the repercussions...).

I always use Mint with Mate or XFCE, and i always use the buildbot packages for Stretch, it always works.
Yesterday it worked for a friend through the phone, and he is very challenged in the "follow directions" department, example:
Me: right click on the linuxcnc-userspace-something-something-amd64.deb and clock on save link as. Now double click on that from the file explorer, what does it say?
Him: Nothing!
Me:did it open a new window?
Him: yes
Me: what's on that window?
Him:nothing, same links as on that page i downloaded from.
Me: not the bloody save page as from the menu, right click on the link, right click..........
It was a long day, but he got it eventually.

LMAO. I am willing to switch over, though I’m not really sure what I would have to do to get rid of the RIP version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Apr 2020 02:55 - 12 Apr 2020 02:58 #163722 by snowgoer540

All executables will run from where your environment PATH is pointed.

You can check this yourself, open up two terminals, in one terminal type:
$ which pncconf
in the other terminal type:
$ source ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment
$ which pncconf
you will see they are both from different locations.

Ok, starting to get it. But how come when I uninstalled the installed version of Linuxcnc it all blew up and stopped working?

Edit: maybe I just tried to run pncconf from the wrong place?
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 02:58 by snowgoer540.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:55 #163723 by phillc54

I am willing to switch over, though I’m not really sure what I would have to do to get rid of the RIP version.

rm -rf ~/linuxcnc-dev

More
12 Apr 2020 02:56 #163724 by phillc54

Ok, starting to get it. But how come when I uninstalled the installed version of Linuxcnc it all blew up and stopped working?

Your links were still pointing to the installed version?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds