RS485 For Hypertherms

More
11 Apr 2020 01:50 #163558 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

@thefabricator03
I couldn't reply until I stopped lauging, not a good look for the dinosuar measurement system.

@snowgoer540
Hopefully this one will do it...

Ok, back to business.

Basically everything looks great, and works exactly like I would expect. Only thing I noticed: I had a fault (0-22-0) because I didn't have the shop air valve open, and after I opened it and the fault cleared on the PM Panel, it never went away on the powermax communicator interface. I think they cleared in the past, but this time no luck.

One other thing, I wanted to check the metric units (bars ... evidently not a place to get a beer), and I cant remember for the life of me how to do that. I cant find it in the manual, and the serial protocol manual seems to be in PSI. Am I missing something, or are you going to have to display for the metric folks via a conversion?

Otherwise, great work as always, and I owe you a pint! :)

-Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2020 01:58 #163559 by snowgoer540

The conversion to imperial units is still roughly somewhere between an inch and the moon... which we landed on :P

In all seriousness, I agree with you all. It's just the way it is here, and there isn't much I can do but be assimilated... resistance is futile.

It does beg the question though. Why?

I was brought up with imperial units and the changover when I was 20 was relatively painless and metric is really easy.

I think someone with a bit of power over there needs to grow a pair and just do it.

For me personally, I would just have to go back and forth so much, that it seems useless other than to just use the standard 25.4. Also, consider that metric tooling is generally more expensive here, because there is less of it, and it is less sought after. If I talk to the CNC machinists at work in mm/min instead of ipm, they wont take me seriously.

I could change over in my little shop, where I do mostly work for myself, but even if I did change over, Most customers I took on would look at me cross eyed, and probably avoid me because I asked them if they want a 25.4mm hole instead of saying 1 inch. It's like a social faux pas.

I do completely agree it's easier, especially the tap example @rodw gave earlier (which I knew, but forgot because I rarely use it).

I guess overall, Americans can be stubborn. Maybe its a dumb point of pride to know the imperial system, and resist the metric system. People fear what they don't understand. The list goes on and on I guess.

More
11 Apr 2020 02:02 #163560 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Basically everything looks great, and works exactly like I would expect. Only thing I noticed: I had a fault (0-22-0) because I didn't have the shop air valve open, and after I opened it and the fault cleared on the PM Panel, it never went away on the powermax communicator interface. I think they cleared in the past, but this time no luck.

I thought so too, I'll check it out

One other thing, I wanted to check the metric units (bars ... evidently not a place to get a beer), and I cant remember for the life of me how to do that. I cant find it in the manual, and the serial protocol manual seems to be in PSI. Am I missing something, or are you going to have to display for the metric folks via a conversion?

Do they even have bar?. I have no clue but if they don't then I am not going to try to convert it.

Otherwise, great work as always, and I owe you a pint! :)

Or 473.176mL ;)

I could change over in my little shop, where I do mostly work for myself, but even if I did change over, Most customers I took on would look at me cross eyed, and probably avoid me because I asked them if they want a 25.4mm hole instead of saying 1 inch

Of course, you need to use the system suits your location.

More
11 Apr 2020 02:17 - 11 Apr 2020 02:18 #163561 by snowgoer540

I thought so too, I'll check it out

Sounds good. I’m headed to bed but if there’s any updates I’ll test them in the AM.

Do they even have bar?. I have no clue but if they don't then I am not going to try to convert it.

The display shows both units when in manual mode. I’m not sure though if it reports via serial in bar at all or just PSI.

Or 473.176mL ;)

Let’s just call it an even 16 oz. lol

Have a good evening
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 02:18 by snowgoer540.

More
11 Apr 2020 03:09 - 11 Apr 2020 03:09 #163563 by phillc54
@Stefan and @Greg

OK, I have most of the fixes done in the main code but I have a couple of questions.

Should I set the current to be in 1Amp increments/resolution rather the 0.1

Should I set the pressure to be in 1psi increments/resolution rather the 0.1

If Bar does exist in the Powermax units (how do I find out?) then for Bar set the pressure to be in 0.1Bar increments/resolution.

I have it set so that if there is a mode change while connected to the Powermax it will set the pressure to 0 before changing the mode, thus setting the pressure to automatic.

The tooltip text is now dependent on whether or not the Powermax is connected.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 03:09 by phillc54.

More
11 Apr 2020 03:33 - 11 Apr 2020 03:34 #163566 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
My book on the HT RS485 only shows PSI for pressure.

actually bar is a bastard term invented by some meteorologist and is not an SI unit (System Internationale). The Pascal is the correct unit. I always thought a bar was 1 atmosphere but its not quite. Its 100 kPa. 1 atmosphere is 101.325 kPa. But I do see bar is used on my thermal dynamics plasma.

When I studied engineering in 1978, in one of the first lectures, the lecturer calculated horsepower and filled 2 blackboards. Then he redid the calculation in kW in about 4 lines and announced "And that why here in Australia we use SI units." I had never even heard of SI until then!
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 03:34 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
11 Apr 2020 03:48 #163569 by snowgoer540

@Stefan and @Greg

OK, I have most of the fixes done in the main code but I have a couple of questions.

Should I set the current to be in 1Amp increments/resolution rather the 0.1

Should I set the pressure to be in 1psi increments/resolution rather the 0.1

If Bar does exist in the Powermax units (how do I find out?) then for Bar set the pressure to be in 0.1Bar increments/resolution.

I have it set so that if there is a mode change while connected to the Powermax it will set the pressure to 0 before changing the mode, thus setting the pressure to automatic.

The tooltip text is now dependent on whether or not the Powermax is connected.

As it turns out I can’t sleep..

I say yes to both 1 amp and 1 psi increments as the PM can’t display any finer resolution than that, and I agree with Stefan that I doubt it makes any appreciable difference in the cut anyhow.

I agree, bar needs to be 0.1 increments. I’m really not sure if it can tell via serial if you want psi or bar to be reported. I’m willing to do a little more digging as I swear there was a place to change default units (on the PM itself). Maybe I dreamed it though. One thought would be to just copy the environment the user changes for plasmac. If the user prefers SI as the default units, calculate a conversion to bar to the nearest tenth? I imagine most of the time changing from automatic mode won’t be necessary anyhow.

I think that’s probably the best method for changing between modes. Like I say, I’d think that 99% of the time the end user won’t mess with pressure. Hypertherm spent a lot of time and charges a lot of money for having these things right to ensure the power sources “just work”.

Good deal on the tool tips. I’m looking forward to testing it all out.

More
11 Apr 2020 03:51 #163570 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

The conversion to imperial units is still roughly somewhere between an inch and the moon... which we landed on :P

In all seriousness, I agree with you all. It's just the way it is here, and there isn't much I can do but be assimilated... resistance is futile.

You keep mentioning you got to the moon, kudos for that, but you forgot to do your homework, NASA uses metric since their start.
So thank you ! :) Oh and US Navy, too, clicks they keep referring too are kilometres, and mill dot on the sniper rifles is in metric, always.

More
11 Apr 2020 03:57 #163571 by phillc54

I say yes to both 1 amp and 1 psi increments as the PM can’t display any finer resolution than that, and I agree with Stefan that I doubt it makes any appreciable difference in the cut anyhow.

I just did a quick read and saw that you both mentioned it before so I will set them to units and not tenths.

I agree, bar needs to be 0.1 increments. I’m really not sure if it can tell via serial if you want psi or bar to be reported. I’m willing to do a little more digging as I swear there was a place to change default units (on the PM itself). Maybe I dreamed it though. One thought would be to just copy the environment the user changes for plasmac. If the user prefers SI as the default units, calculate a conversion to bar to the nearest tenth? I imagine most of the time changing from automatic mode won’t be necessary anyhow.

Not much point in converting if the PM sends it in bar and no point in converting if they don't have bar as the user will need to use psi.
If they do send either bar or psi I should be able to detect it by the value.

I think that’s probably the best method for changing between modes.

I agree

Good deal on the tool tips. I’m looking forward to testing it all out.

I also added the automatic gas pressure bit to the gas pressure tooltip.

I am pretty sure I have addressed all the issues so I will tidy all this up and add abit to the docs and push it.

More
11 Apr 2020 04:11 - 11 Apr 2020 06:29 #163572 by phillc54
A thought.

Remove the GAS_UNITS from the ini file.

Set the Gas Pressure in the Run Panel to zero.

Don't allow any Gas Pressure changes until the PM is connected.

Determine psi/bar from the data received from the PM then add the appropriate "- Bar" or "- PSI" suffix to the "Gas Pressure" label.

This way the PM determines what is displayed.

EDIT: See the attachment from the 45XP manual, does this apply to the comms data as well? This makes me think the above is the correct way to handle this so I have gone ahead. I determine bar/psi from the maximum pressure setting, if is above 10 then it sets psi and 10 or below is bar.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 06:29 by phillc54.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds