RS485 For Hypertherms

More
10 Sep 2019 00:53 #144638 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

You trying to get the Hyperterm to talk rs-485 for THC?

Yes for the Current, Gas Pressure and Cut Type.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2019 01:26 #144642 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Yeah, I have an 8 channel logic analyser but the problem I was having with a VMware guest was that it wouldn't open the port consistently.

You trying to get the Hyperterm to talk rs-485 for THC?

Yeh, there is a python user space component that already exists which was written by Pedro. Phill is folding it into Plasmac. I think he is hoping is Hypertherm 30 amp will grow up one day!

More
10 Sep 2019 01:49 #144644 by thefabricator03
Phill,

So how do you think the component will work with PlasmaC?

When a tool is selected the component will change the voltage and air pressure on the plasma unit? So when I am cutting something out at 105 amps and I try to do a peck pierce the g code will switch to the piece tool and set the current at say 30 amps but when I go back to cutting it will read the tool change and go back to 105 amps?

More
10 Sep 2019 01:56 #144646 by phillc54

Yeh, there is a python user space component that already exists which was written by Pedro

At this stage my thought is that I want tighter integration with PlasmaC so I am looking at doing the comms within PlasmaC itself rather than a separate component. That idea may change down the track.

I think he is hoping is Hypertherm 30 amp will grow up one day!

I have been watering it but nothing yet, maybe now it is Spring...

So how do you think the component will work with PlasmaC?
When a tool is selected the component will change the voltage and air pressure on the plasma unit? So when I am cutting something out at 105 amps and I try to do a peck pierce the g code will switch to the piece tool and set the current at say 30 amps but when I go back to cutting it will read the tool change and go back to 105 amps?

That is pretty much it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
10 Sep 2019 02:05 #144648 by thefabricator03
Its going to be a truly great feature to have, Now I just need to build a automatic consumable changer and I will be all set!

More
10 Sep 2019 04:40 #144658 by rodw
Actually as an aside, I happened to be looking through the 45XP manual and in their chapter about marking, they had some time delay numbers for dimpling which is exactly what Phill coded into Plasmac on my suggestion for centre punching. I think they suggested 50 ms for a 0.1" dimple.

So now Stefan, you'll also need a second torch mounted up for marking with the 45XP...

More
10 Sep 2019 04:44 #144659 by thefabricator03

So now Stefan, you'll also need a second torch mounted up for marking with the 45XP...

Trust me I have thought about it. Quite recently as a matter of fact. It would be handy as I could set up the 45XP to run on argon and with the marking consumables and just use that for marking instead of a scribe. Not as cheap as the scribe but I am sure more versatile.

Now I have to redesign my whole X axis, Thanks Rod...:)

More
10 Sep 2019 06:10 #144662 by rodw
You are welcome Stefan. You have no idea how many redesigns have gone into my machine from the amazing developments that have been made with Plasma on this forum!

I actually hope that Phill's hard work incorporating the current and pressure will require a redesign one day soon. It would be much better if it was done from a Mesa UART so there was no need to run an additional cable back to a PC. One day... :)

More
10 Sep 2019 06:17 #144664 by thefabricator03
Yeah I agree that there has been a lot of new developments happening at a rapid rate for plasma on this forum. I would argue more so than any other forum I frequent.

I think I will give Phill a break after he gets this one working before I annoy him about any further nice to have features. I think multiple z axies would fit into the nice to have list as well as my air drill. Like Rod says one day.

More
10 Sep 2019 06:24 #144667 by phillc54

I actually hope that Phill's hard work incorporating the current and pressure will require a redesign one day soon. It would be much better if it was done from a Mesa UART so there was no need to run an additional cable back to a PC

That could be an additional option, it is only slow comms so it doesn't really matter how it is done plus not everyone has Mesa hardware.

I think I will give Phill a break after he gets this one working before I annoy him about any further nice to have features. I think multiple z axies would fit into the nice to have list as well as my air drill.

I have actually thought about multiple X axes over the last week or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds