RS485 For Hypertherms

More
10 Sep 2019 21:12 #144744 by thefabricator03

Yes it is, and it is not height sensitive as plasma.
Adding big buttons for up/down while cutting would be useful.
Basically it is:
-Fire the torch ( acetylene or propane with some oxygen )
-Press run on Linuxcnc
-Wait for the set amount in gcode or panel
-Turn on the relay or the valve for the cutting oxygen
-Engage motion.

Tom,

Does a gantry oxy set use a special set of tips? I know as a fabricator how much difference it makes for your oxy cut to have a nice clean tip. How does they gantry oxy keep its tips clean? Using tip cleaners at the beginning of every cutting session?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2019 23:20 #144750 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Which brings me to a thought. Linuxnc's multispindle functionality makes it so darn easy to add additional tools but we started numbering them in a fixed fashion in Plasmac. I think the development team (who is that now?) should think about adding some sort of spindle type to the configuration. So somebody who wants a drill and not a scribe can specify its on spindle 1 and so on. Adding that flexibility that now might save Plasmac from the kind of confusion the joint axis feature has brought (That one has yet to play out. Wait until 2.8 becomes the release version and 2.7 users upgrade...)

Rod,
I'm not 100% sure where you are heading here.
It has been bugging me a bit too. When I started I didn't think beyond one spindle then when we added the air-scribe I thought that would be it, but...
I would love to hear more.

More
10 Sep 2019 23:31 #144752 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Phill, I don't really know. But I kinda think the plasma is 0, the spotting is 1 as its plasma so its always there and then a user might want to add scribe, air drill, mechanised drill, router, oxy just to name a few. I saw a machine the other day with a BT40 spindle for drilling complete with a material clamp. but somewhere Plasmac needs to set some limits. BUt it would not make sense to add 5 spindles and only use 0, 1 and 4.

I was thinking it was more of a configuration thing rather than internal changes.

Anyway pass my feed back on to your development team :)
Oh wait, no need for that, they have all been updated!

More
10 Sep 2019 23:35 #144753 by phillc54
It's hard to know what to do.
Flexibility in spindle numbering would be nice in that a user could have consecutively numbered spindles but would make GCode not portable between configurations.

More
10 Sep 2019 23:55 #144755 by thefabricator03
Rod,

How do you think a BT40 spindle would go in a plasma environment? Being dirty and dusty and or wet would cause damage to the components?

I guess thats where Phils idea of multiple X axies would come into play, you could make a long x axis and tuck it out of the way while cutting.

More
10 Sep 2019 23:58 #144756 by phillc54

I guess thats where Phils idea of multiple X axies would come into play, you could make a long x axis and tuck it out of the way while cutting.

Oops, I meant multiple Z axes.

More
11 Sep 2019 00:06 #144758 by rodw
Um, the BT40 was a $20k addon from memory....

Phill, is it necessary to have portability between plasmac installations?
Portability is just a requirement for a machine integrator like Stefan I would have thought. But what you say is not something I had thought about

More
11 Sep 2019 00:10 #144759 by phillc54
I am not sure, only if folk require portable GCode.
My main concerns with any changes are backwards compatibility and not breaking previous configs.

More
11 Sep 2019 07:15 #144791 by rodw

I am not sure, only if folk require portable GCode.
My main concerns with any changes are backwards compatibility and not breaking previous configs.

I thought you took great delight in breaking configs but now I know that treatment is just reserved for me! :evil: :evil:

More
11 Sep 2019 08:06 #144794 by phillc54

I thought you took great delight in breaking configs but now I know that treatment is just reserved for me! :evil: :evil:

Yes, going by the number of times that has happened anyone would think that I enjoy it. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds