RS485 For Hypertherms

More
26 Dec 2019 07:56 #153219 by thefabricator03

There is no guarantee of when the new setting would take effect.

Thats the reason Hypertherm uses Ethercat for their hi-definition machine controllers. RS485 is a generally reliable method but its downside is its transfer speed is not great.

I will do some testing on the weekend Phill, so you can finally push this update to keep the people happy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2019 08:48 #153220 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
The soft peck would be quite doable. Normally, in Sheetcam you create a seperate layer with all the holes on it and then run a plasma drill operation on that layer. So you could define the lower current in the Plasmac material definition that Sheetcam retrieves.

Sheetcam's cut rules are more or less redundant with Plasmac because of its hole mode and the Corner lock feature that disables the THC when velocity falls below a threshold. I certainly don't use cutting rules.

But remember that the RS485 is a user space function so you have two problems: Its not real time and its slow to send the package.

As Stefan says, the big machines use Ethercat and then you don't even need to measure arc voltage or wire in an ArcOK signal because its all on the ethercat BUS.

More
16 Mar 2020 07:12 #160391 by alexandrub
Replied by alexandrub on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
I see on the plasmac update that is a Powermax communication. When we will see a how to manual for beginners? It will be very useful. I have a Powermax 45 and i intend to buy a rs485 comunication interface from Hypertherm. Is any other method to manufacturing an rs485 communication card for Hypertherm ?

More
16 Mar 2020 07:27 #160392 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
You will need the Hypertherm interface in the machine plus a suitable rs485 port on you computer and an appropriate cable in between them.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...-guide.html#pm_comms

More
16 Mar 2020 19:27 - 16 Mar 2020 19:33 #160464 by thefabricator03

I see on the plasmac update that is a Powermax communication. When we will see a how to manual for beginners? It will be very useful. I have a Powermax 45 and i intend to buy a rs485 comunication interface from Hypertherm. Is any other method to manufacturing an rs485 communication card for Hypertherm ?

The Hypertherm RS485 interface will come with a connecter for the machine. You need a a 5 core cable and a RS485 card for your PC. I tried using a USB to RS485 adapter with little luck. You might have better luck if you decide to go that way.

For me it was plug and play once I had my wiring correct and had the correct port selected. Phil developed a tool for me to test the comms and I used that to find the correct port.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2020 19:33 by thefabricator03.

More
16 Mar 2020 19:38 #160465 by thefabricator03
Phil, When I get a minute I will post my wiring diagram for the RS485 cable and if you could include in your manual to help others with their cable wiring.

The wiring was the hardest part of of getting the RS485 to work.

More
16 Mar 2020 23:03 #160480 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Phil, When I get a minute I will post my wiring diagram for the RS485 cable and if you could include in your manual to help others with their cable wiring.

Can you recommend a specific card?

More
17 Mar 2020 06:27 - 17 Mar 2020 06:42 #160509 by thefabricator03

Can you recommend a specific card?

The card I am using is actually a RS232 card. I had it laying around and thought I would try to see if it would work. Linux Mint recognized it without having to install any drivers.

I had the plug from the usb to RS485 adapter I brought and it plugged into the RS232 port.
This was the USB to RS485 adapter I was trying to use but could not get to work properly, It should give you a idea of the plug needed,
www.jaycar.com.au/usb-port-to-rs-485-422...4136r&utm_medium=web

I just made sure that the wiring matched what was in the manual and once I configured the port, it worked straight away in PlasmaC.

I would say any card that can be used with the version of Linux you are using will work without a drama.
This is the card I am using, www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=4&pid=902
Last edit: 17 Mar 2020 06:42 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snowgoer540

More
17 Mar 2020 07:03 - 17 Mar 2020 07:03 #160510 by thefabricator03

Phil,

Please find attached the diagram, If you need anything changed let me know.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2020 07:03 by thefabricator03.

More
17 Mar 2020 11:18 #160537 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Phil,

Please find attached the diagram, If you need anything changed let me know.

This looks good, and is very helpful! It may be prudent to show how the 5 pins on the terminal block shown correspond to the actual DB9 connector in the event that the 5 pin terminal block connector isnt available. I can only find 9 pin terminal block versions on Amazon. Although I believe your chart does have enough description to get you there.

Just a thought! Thanks again.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.778 seconds