RS485 For Hypertherms

More
11 Sep 2019 10:18 #144808 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
@thefabricator
There is a big diference in cutting nozles for hand and machine cutting in that the machine one is much longer directing the gases and removing whirl.
As for cleaning i have never seen any of my clients clean it, most probably due to all that pressure not allowing anything to stick to it and the distance from the material, the distance is much bigger than with plasma, roughly 5mm above from what i saw.

Again, it is advisable to double check this as i have done very litle cutting with it.
Then again, seeing 100mm thick piece of metal cut relativly clean is quite amazing !
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2019 23:15 #152193 by grijalvap
Replied by grijalvap on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Any update on this?

More
06 Dec 2019 23:25 #152195 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Stefan is currently testing this feature.

More
07 Dec 2019 06:51 #152218 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Stefan is currently testing this feature.

Maybe you should also get grijalvap to test this as he wrote the original Python script that has been incorporated into Plasmac.

More
07 Dec 2019 07:35 #152224 by phillc54
The more the merrier.

More
07 Dec 2019 07:51 #152225 by rodw

The more the merrier.

email introduction sent

More
25 Dec 2019 22:35 #153204 by Lunkwill
Replied by Lunkwill on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
I'm glad to hear serial support is in progress. Is the end goal to dynamically reduce current when turning corners to reduce dross?

More
25 Dec 2019 23:10 #153205 by rodw

I'm glad to hear serial support is in progress. Is the end goal to dynamically reduce current when turning corners to reduce dross?

Now thats an interesting idea. I'm not sure if the 19,200 baud serial interface is fast enough. With a 18-20 byte packet to set the current, that will take about 10 milliseconds to send, plus any latency in the plasma cutter to change the current. Somewhere also the plasma cutter sends back an acknowledgement packet so another 10 ms.

More
26 Dec 2019 07:29 #153217 by Lunkwill
Replied by Lunkwill on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
I believe that's the main reason they included those controls in the machine. From random threads and hypertherm manuals:

"That lets you define a lower/slower pierce current /speed and can increase consumable life by at least double. Part of that is the "Soft Peck" that lets you turn down the current when pecking the centers of holes for drilling later. Marks, but does not pierce the metal."

"you can for example set up a Cut Rule (in SheetCAM) that lowers the feedrate on every corner, lowers the cut current and even turns off the DTHC as it does around the corner then puts everything back to you normal settings on the other side"

"Corner Current Percent
The Corner Current Percent feature allows the operator to select a reduced current setting to be executed when cutting corners to improve cut quality. This value is a percentage of the Set Current ( above ) and is active when the Torch Height Disable Output is on. The Corner Current parameter is also available for the HD4070® via the serial link."

Dynamic cut control: www.candcnc.net/images/Manuals/DTHCII_HyT-ConnectDCC.pdf

More
26 Dec 2019 07:48 #153218 by phillc54
From page 6 of the Hypertherm Application Note 807220, Powermax45 XP/65/85/105/125® Serial Communication Protocol

Real-time updates are not recommended because system response times vary based on the application being performed and the commands being issued. Powermax systems enable you to update some control settings – such as cutting current and gas pressure – even while the torch is cutting. However, testing should be performed to make sure that system response times are adequate for your applications.

There is no guarantee of when the new setting would take effect.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds