Hypersensing questions

More
29 Jul 2020 22:26 - 29 Jul 2020 22:26 #176416 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Hypersensing questions
Well now we need to metrify time so instead of hours we have decidays
Last edit: 29 Jul 2020 22:26 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2020 01:10 #176437 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Hypersensing questions

If that makes it go slower, I'm all for it!

More
30 Jul 2020 01:14 - 30 Jul 2020 01:14 #176439 by snowgoer540

Maybe as a start, I'll put the temperature in my car to °C. Baby steps :laugh:

Nah, Temperature and acres were the last imperial units to be recalibrated in my brain. It just wasn't cool to stop saying you no longer lived on a 100,000 acre ranch where it was often 110 in the shade becasue it suddenly was only 40,000 Ha and we barely got past 43 degrees in summer!!

Then somebody told me he lived on a 64 square mile property. The poor old conversion cogs were working overtime until I realised he only had 64,000 acres (or about 26,000 Ha)!

What people fail to realise is that its the logic behind the metric system that substantially simplifies engineering calculations which have been known to loose spaceships! Fortunately I built mine in metric! Most US based engineers work in metric for the simplicity of it.

Australia is held out to be a model of how to convert. we did it in the 70's and after 30 years, I banned any imperial unit from my life which released a lot of brain cells that I could kill with alcohol to celebrate the occasion!

I'm reminded of cords of firewood for some reason. I guess if you give me 30 years, maybe I'll adopt it. We dont use it at work, except for very few contracts, and all of the machine programming, etc is in IPS. I wish I grew up learning it, I recognize that fundamentally it is much easier. But like I said, cognitively, a millimeter means nothing to me. 0.040 thousandths of a dinosaur does. :silly:
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 01:14 by snowgoer540.

More
30 Jul 2020 03:50 #176459 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Hypersensing questions

Thats it!.

BTW, did I detect metric dimensions with hole positions on a THCAD?

More
30 Jul 2020 12:52 #176499 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hypersensing questions
Some very valid answers here, so as icing to a cake, Nasa uses metric ( lost spaceships Rod mentioned ), the US military uses metric ( lost solders maybe?? ).

More
30 Jul 2020 13:07 #176503 by rodw

Some very valid answers here, so as icing to a cake, Nasa uses metric ( lost spaceships Rod mentioned ), the US military uses metric ( lost solders maybe?? ).

The yanks always loose soldiers even on joint exercises with the Anzacs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Aug 2020 19:41 #178317 by snowgoer540

Attached is a revised component.ohmic3.comp.. You will need to edit your halfile from ohmic2 to ohmic3.
I had some issues where this was a bit forgetful and forgot to turn the probe off when retracting so this does a bit more checking. Seems OK now after cutting a full sheet.

@Rod

So I helped a friend update to this today. He updated his <machine>_connections.hal file to change it to ohmic3. He says that ohmic probing doesn't work at all now. I am not sure why it wouldn't, so I had him switch back to ohmic2, which does work.

Any thoughts? At first, I thought that maybe his thresholds needed tweaking, but why would ohmic2 work and not ohmic3?

Another question I had, looking at the comp file, all of the pins get assigned values. I assume this gets overridden because Halscope did show my values, but I was wondering why they get hard set in here:
// Example Calibration Data: 0v = 122.9 kHz, 10v = 925.7 Khz should be entered as 122900 and 925700
pin in  float thcad_0_volt_freq          "0 volt calibration data for THCAD card in Hz";
pin in  float thcad_max_volt_freq        "Full scale calibration data for THCAD Card in Hz";
pin in  float thcad_divide = 32          "THCAD Divider set by links on THCAD board (1,32,64 or 128";
pin in  float thcad_fullscale = 5        "THCAD Fullscale (5, 10 or 300)";
pin in  float velocity_in                "The velocity returned from the THCAD and read by the Mesa encoder input";
pin in  float volt_divider = 4.9         "The divide ratio (default 1:1)";
pin in  float ohmic_threshold = 18       "The threshold  volts above which Ohmic sensing is set to be true";
pin in  float ohmic_low = 5              "The threshold  volts below which Ohmic sensing is set to be false";
pin out  bit arc_on                      "True if full scale (eg arc is on)";
pin out float thcad_volts                "Measured thcad voltage";
pin out float ohmic_volts                "Calculated Ohmic  voltage";
pin out bit   ohmic_on                   "Threshold plasma torch voltage";
pin in  bit  is_probing                  "True if probing";
pin in  s32 motion_type_in               "Connect motion.motion-type here";
pin out bit power_on                     "Turn relay on with this pin";
pin in  s32 mode = 0                      "0 = use low threshold, 1 = use trend";
pin in  s32 num_readings = 5              "number of servo cycles to stay on trend";
pin out float dbg_avgv                   "average arc volts";
function _;
license "GPL";

More
15 Aug 2020 23:19 #178332 by rodw
The values shown are defaults which will apply if no value is set to that pin in hal but you can set them to anything you wish using setp or a net command. So they are not hard coded. I tend to do this to set sensible defaults if something is missed.

I don't think much has changed between versions. I'd have to see the hal file connections. I know Phill is now using motion.motion-type in plasmac now though.

I think using a MPG to make and break the ohmic connection with a dry and wet torch and monitoring the voltage on the 24 v isolated circuit in the ohmic3 component helps to set a threshold. OR just probe fr a hole and use halscope.

More
16 Aug 2020 00:06 #178336 by snowgoer540
:blush: whoops, I meant to attach that.

It's attached, but like I said, it doesn't make sense because ohmic2 works and ohmic3 doesn't. You'd think they both wouldn't work if it was a problem with the hal file.

Hmm.

At any rate, he went to ohmic3 because he was having the problem you described with it not turning off the probing at the correct times, etc.
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2020 01:41 #178342 by rodw
I've got a mess in my workshop pending delivery of a press brake tomorrow so I can't get to the plasma to check for a couple of days.
The main thing would be the threshold, is there power to the circuit (light on on power supply) and that you can see the voltage in halshow changing from 0-24 or so volts

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds