Photos

More
21 May 2020 14:18 #168492 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Photos

Really nice work Bryan.

I agree, that is taking it to a whole new level!

Can you tell us a bit more about the dyes.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

SteelFX is a chemical patina that is sprayed onto freshly polished steel. It will not work if there is mill scale and works better the brighter the surface is polished to. I always start with cold rolled steel as it doesn't take much to get it to a state that's ready for the patina. Mill scale is a pain. The patina is sprayed on and it immediately begins to react with the steel, actually creating a thin layer of copper (for the CopperFX product). There's copper sulfate in the solution I believe.

The copper is the base for some other colors such as the torch fx (red/blue). The patinas can be layered to achieve different unique results. Once the color is achieved, just a rinse with water will "lock it in". Then it is immediately dried with compressed air as it will flash rust within minutes, especially in a humid environment. I then immediately seal it with an indoor/outdoor clear lacquer, although some powder coat. I have heard mixed results about this specific product yellowing after a clear powder is applied, I think it's extra sensitive to the PC cure temps. The cost per sq. in. I've found is actually a bit cheaper or at least similar to powder coating, and the finish is much more unique and interesting, in my opinion.

Also, I've you seen in the photos you can see through the finish so it's nice to add swirls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 15:11 #168495 by thefabricator03
Replied by thefabricator03 on topic Photos

I always start with cold rolled steel as it doesn't take much to get it to a state that's ready for the patina. Mill scale is a pain.

How do you get the cold rolled steel to a state to be ready for the patina? Polishing? With say a buffer pad used on a car?

More
21 May 2020 15:24 #168496 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Photos
Sure, I guess I missed that part.

First I remove the dross from the back side with a 4.5" compatible wire wheel on a grinder, but I do not touch the top side. It is too aggressive and can be hard to get the scratches out later. Then I use a degreaser or mineral spirits to clean the oil off of the part, as well as any metal dust/debris from cutting. Once the part is at the stage, I'll switch to a 2" die grinder with a scotchbrite roloc pad. I prefer the red one (medium grit) as a general starting point, but will switch to the green one if I want the finish to be brighter. You could use 600+ grit and get it super polished and I'm sure it would look even better. Not something I have tried, but it would be nice looking I'm sure.

Keeping the angle of attack consistent and grinding in the same direction, I'll polish up the entire surface. Once this has been completed, I'll go back and add swirls if wanted. The cleaner and more brightly polished the surface, the better with these patinas.

With hot rolled, I do the same thing but remove the mill scale with muriatic acid (HCl) or sand blast it first, but it is a bit more work and the CR sheets are only a few dollars more for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03

More
22 May 2020 03:27 #168557 by thefabricator03
Awesome information, Thanks.

More
15 Jun 2020 10:31 #171733 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Photos
Thought I'd take a minute to share my first paying job on the table I built. I don't have any recent pictures of the table, I'll have to grab one and post it later.

At any rate, I definitely couldn't have done any of it without the help of you all on this forum. Thank you.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, rodw, thefabricator03, bbsr_5a, pinder

More
15 Jun 2020 10:51 #171737 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic Photos
looks almost like a laserCut
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
15 Jun 2020 14:54 #171748 by snowgoer540

looks almost like a laserCut

Thank you!

More
15 Jun 2020 20:12 #171768 by thefabricator03
Powder coated?

More
15 Jun 2020 23:22 #171786 by snowgoer540

Powder coated?

I wish I had an oven big enough for that... I rattle canned it :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
15 Jun 2020 23:28 #171788 by thefabricator03

Powder coated?

I wish I had an oven big enough for that... I rattle canned it :blush:

Yeah I have had success with rattle canning things Ive cut as well. They come up surprisingly better then expected.
Gloss on the left, Matt on the right. Ended up Matting both of them as the gloss showed up all the grinder touch ups.
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds