PlasmaC Just using pierce for circle centre

More
04 May 2020 10:39 #166606 by Clive S
Set the circles to 1mm and used pierce only worked that a dream.

Thanks Phill
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2020 17:47 #166646 by rodw
If you look at the drilling operation in Sheetcam, I think there is a diameter to set for a max drill size as you create the operation. You don't need to change your drawing. Sheetcam will spot on the centre mark.

More
09 May 2020 16:19 #167154 by Clive S

To achieve spotting prior to drilling etc, PlasmaC can pulse the torch for a short duration to mark the drill spot.

This is done by first setting the arc voltage threshold in the Config Panel. If the threshold voltage is set to zero then the delay timer will begin from when the torch on signal was sent. If the threshold voltage is set above zero then the delay timer will begin when the arc voltage reaches the threshold voltage.

Then set the delay time in the Config Panel. When the delay is complete, the torch will turn off. Times are adjustable from 0 to 9999 milli-seconds.

The torch is then turned on in G-Code with the M3 $2 S1 command which selects the plasma torch as a spotting tool.

To enable spotting, see multiple tools.

LinuxCNC requires some motion between an M3 command and a M5 command so a minimal movement at a high speed is programmed.

I have followed the above and "setp plasmac.multi-tool 1" then setup a new tool called Centre Spot

then using pierce only It doe not change the gcode to m3 $2 s1 (spotting on) . It shows m3 $0 s1
I have even edited the code outside of PlasmaC to m3 $2 s1 and it changes it back to m3 $0 s1

I don't think you can edit the code from within PlasmaC as the edit command is greyed out
I would like to be able to pierce the centre of circles. Where am I going wrong?

More
09 May 2020 23:40 #167191 by phillc54
Centre Spot and Pierce Only are two separate features.

Pierce Only will read the G-Code file and run through it without doing any cutting, it will do a complete pierce where the G-Code file does the original pierce. This will only be the sentre of a hole if the original pierce was there. This does not require multi tool.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...guide.html#cut-types

Centre Spotting is similar but it only does a short pulse controlled by Spotting Threshold and Spotting Delay rather than piercing. Again it will only do the spot where the GCode has defined it. This does require multi tool.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...guide.html#_spotting

For both modes you need to ensure that the GCode has defined where you want the pierce or spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
10 May 2020 08:45 #167241 by Clive S
Ok I think I understand it now,
so I must not use sheetcam and generate the required gcode with vetric or whatever then hand edit it with the correct m3 $2 s1 etc.

More
10 May 2020 08:50 #167242 by phillc54
You can use SheetCam, you just need to ensure you are using the spotting tool and that your leading start point is the centre of the hole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
10 May 2020 10:15 #167247 by Clive S

You can use SheetCam, you just need to ensure you are using the spotting tool and that your leading start point is the centre of the hole.

Ah. I have not used any tools in sheetcam I think I just made one then used the same tool for all jobs as when it gets loaded into PlasmaC I pick the parameters from the run panel.

I don't see any tools in Sheetcam apart from the one I generated

More
10 May 2020 10:24 #167248 by phillc54
Create one named "Centre Spot" don't worry about the parameters and use that.

More
10 May 2020 11:09 - 10 May 2020 11:10 #167250 by Clive S

Create one named "Centre Spot" don't worry about the parameters and use that.

I have done that and failed. It spotted on the edge of the circle Then I tried using the drilling tool which at first seem to work on screen sheetcam but then the PP fails.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2020 11:10 by Clive S.

More
10 May 2020 11:15 #167251 by phillc54
OK, when I first made this PP I was lazy and used a normal plasma tool as the centre spot tool then set the diameter so the leadin starts at the centre

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds