Raspberry Pi 4 with PlasmaC

More
06 Sep 2020 23:24 #181070 by phillc54
2.8 is in the midst of being released so there will be an iso image available.

There is a pre-release version available here:
www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.0-pre3-pi4.zip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2020 00:32 #181078 by kramerda
Perfect.....thankyou

More
24 Mar 2021 00:14 #203471 by Doogie
Replied by Doogie on topic Raspberry Pi 4 with PlasmaC
FWIW, I've seen much better performance when running from USB drive as opposed to uSD. Many have used a USB->SSD adapter and use larger SSD drives and again because of USB they get good performance.

More
24 Mar 2021 00:18 - 24 Mar 2021 02:54 #203472 by Doogie
Replied by Doogie on topic Raspberry Pi 4 with PlasmaC
I looked at the first 2 pages and last 4 pages and saw no mention of QtPyVCP so I was wondering if you did any development on your touchscreen interface?

I have linuxCNC running on an rPi4 controlling a 3D printer via Scott Alfords Remora(spiPRU) and want to get rid of the monitor/keyboard/mouse and go with a 7" or 8" rPI touchscreen. But when I tried to bring up a sample VCP using editvcp it crapped out wanting some x86 stuff. So I was wondering if/how you were building your display?

Update: I got editvcp working on the rPi. forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/38242-qtpyvcp-documents#203469
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 02:54 by Doogie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franklin

More
14 Apr 2021 13:38 - 14 Apr 2021 13:40 #205889 by AgentWD40
Is there anyone out there successfully using a rpi with plasmac in "production"?

More specifically, with linuxcnc 2.9 + QTPlasmaC ?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 13:40 by AgentWD40.

More
14 Apr 2021 14:43 #205903 by snowgoer540

Is there anyone out there successfully using a rpi with plasmac in "production"?

More specifically, with linuxcnc 2.9 + QTPlasmaC ?

The last I had heard qtVCP will not run on a rpi. I think ...someone (no idea who)... was working on it, but I've not heard anything.

My personal take on rpi (and I ran my PlasmaC table on it for a little bit just for fun) is that it's "neat", but not really something I would use for production. It did require doubling the servo-thread period, and the P values for each joint to prevent latency errors. The graphics sometimes lag, etc.

All in all, it definitely worked, but again, not something I would run my business on. Maybe the pi5? haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
24 Apr 2021 19:28 #206964 by cakeslob

The last I had heard qtVCP will not run on a rpi. I think ...someone (no idea who)... was working on it, but I've not heard anything.

I really hope that someone isnt me, because I only have one more thing I can try, and then Im out of ideas. Since installing a different version of qt with desktop openGL didnt work, unless I am still doing it wrong, the last thing I got is swapping some symlinks for the rpi graphics driver. last time I tried it, I wrecked some stuff and didnt know how to fix it. I havent checked any updates for 2021 yet as Ive been side tracked with personal things, but the native graphics drivers are still being worked on, and since my last attempt, there appears to be a few more rpi4 specific qt5 install requirements related to the difference in graphics library, so there are a few new things to try also. Qtvcp, last I checked, will run on RPI4 but the graphics preview will not. you can have it load without graphics and still work, but since both QTVCP and rpi graphics drivers are in constant updates, I find things break from one update to another and sometimes the graphics not loading are a fatal error and sometimes not, and the rest of the gui loads but with errors.

Summary of the issue, as far as I can tell
QT linking/installing incorrect drivers
RPI4 having incomplete/multiple graphics drivers
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40, snowgoer540, rdtsc

More
17 Aug 2021 18:09 #218005 by kramerda
Are there any updates to QTPlasmaC running on the Raspberry Pi Rpi4 either 2.8, v2.8.2 or v2.9?
If so - is there an ISO image available?
I'm running PlasmaC quite successfully and could either install a new or upgrade.
Thanks
Dennis

More
17 Aug 2021 23:42 - 17 Aug 2021 23:44 #218029 by phillc54

Are there any updates to QTPlasmaC running on the Raspberry Pi Rpi4 either 2.8, v2.8.2 or v2.9?
If so - is there an ISO image available?
I'm running PlasmaC quite successfully and could either install a new or upgrade.
Thanks
Dennis

Unfortunately QtPlasmaC won't run on a Rpi, python-qt does not support opengl desktop, so you are stuck with PlasmaC on that platform at this stage.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 23:44 by phillc54.

More
19 Aug 2021 00:56 #218103 by kramerda
Thanks for the update. I found this note on Rpi4 and Opengl....not smart enough to understand if this will change things down the road.
"Raspberry Pi 4 Model B has passed Khronos’ test suite meaning it is now conformant with the not-quite-latest OpenGL ES version.

The Pi 4 Model B was launched last June packing a Broadcom BCM2711 SoC with a Videocore VI GPU supporting the OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics API.

As of earlier this month, the Pi 4 Model B was added to Khronos’ list of devices officially compliant with OpenGL ES 3.1.

OpenGL ES is a popular API helping developers to render 2D and 3D graphics. As of writing, the latest version of OpenGL ES is 3.2 – meaning the Pi 4 Model B is just slightly behind. However, the focus is now shifting to Vulkan.

Vulkan is a shiny new graphics API intended to be an evolution of OpenGL ES which achieves improved power efficiency and performance through better utilisation of multi-core processors.

The Pi Foundation has begun work on Vulkan support for the Pi 4 and has achieved the basic triangle demo which is considered the “Hello world!” of graphics programming"
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rdtsc

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds