Feature Request

More
23 Jul 2020 02:12 #175453 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

Have you tried perpendicular leadins on those internal features?

I think at one point I did, I can definitely try again though.

That particular cut file flamed out on literally every arc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2020 02:16 #175454 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request
Am I reading it correctly, the holes are 0.25" (6.35mm) and the slots are the same width.

More
23 Jul 2020 08:59 #175479 by snowgoer540

Am I reading it correctly, the holes are 0.25" (6.35mm) and the slots are the same width.

From the model, both are .3".

More
23 Jul 2020 09:00 #175480 by phillc54

OK, I didn't allow for kerf width.

More
23 Jul 2020 09:01 #175482 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request

Have you tried perpendicular leadins on those internal features?

I seem to remember Jim Colt saying to use perpendicular leadins. I trued arcs and gave up then never tried again.

More
23 Jul 2020 09:04 #175483 by snowgoer540

Oh right, yea I didnt think of it either. 5am here, no coffee yet, about to leave for work :lol:

I seem to remember Jim Colt saying to use perpendicular leadins. I trued arcs and gave up then never tried again.

I'll switch over for sure! I watched a few Jim Colt videos in my expanded metal research. He doesnt seem to explain how at least MaverickCNC handles expanded metal other than "turn off the THC". They must just ignore the arc OK though.

More
23 Jul 2020 09:06 #175484 by phillc54

Oh right, yea I didnt think of it either. 5am here, no coffee yet, about to leave for work :lol:

I'll switch over for sure! I watched a few Jim Colt videos in my expanded metal research. He doesnt seem to explain how at least MaverickCNC handles expanded metal other than "turn off the THC". They must just ignore the arc OK though.

Do Powermax's keep the Arc OK signal on during CPA mode?

More
23 Jul 2020 10:11 #175495 by snowgoer540

So that was my initial impression of how they would work, however that's not been my experience. All of the issues I've mentioned were most recently done in Mode 2 (CPA Mode). As soon as the torch flamed out, the machine paused. I supposed there could be something wrong with my power unit, but I would think it's highly unlikely as it's brand new otherwise.

All the manual says is:

For cutting expanded metal, grates, metal containing holes, or any job that requires a continuous pilot arc. Using this mode to cut standard metal plate reduces consumable life.

More
23 Jul 2020 10:19 #175499 by phillc54

So that was my initial impression of how they would work, however that's not been my experience. All of the issues I've mentioned were most recently done in Mode 2 (CPA Mode). As soon as the torch flamed out, the machine paused. I supposed there could be something wrong with my power unit, but I would think it's highly unlikely as it's brand new otherwise.

All the manual says is:

For cutting expanded metal, grates, metal containing holes, or any job that requires a continuous pilot arc. Using this mode to cut standard metal plate reduces consumable life.

I think Stefan did some manual single cuts in CPA mode to cut up some skeletons.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...ide.html#_single_cut
He didn't mention any flameouts.

More
23 Jul 2020 10:24 #175500 by snowgoer540

All the manual says is:

I think Stefan did some manual single cuts in CPA mode to cut up some skeletons.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...ide.html#_single_cut
He didn't mention any flameouts.

Perhaps manual mode is coded to ignore the loss of arc-ok? It mentions you cant move until you receive an arc-ok signal, but makes no mention of how a loss is handled.

I can do whatever specific testing you'd like this weekend as I'm off tomorrow-Sunday, and the girlfriend works all weekend, leaving me free to tinker in the garage at my leisure :lol:. But again, I'm pretty sure, based on what I've seen thus far, that if I wanted to cut a piece of expanded metal (which I do), it's not going to go as planned.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds