LinuxCNC-RIO - RealtimeIO for LinuxCNC based on FPGA (ICE40 / ECP5)

More
03 Aug 2024 19:36 #306876 by meister
Thanks !!!

but you're exaggerating a bit, let's agree, it works

Normal way to change the ip is the rio-setup tool:

as a rule, the code does not need to be changed

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2024 20:26 #306879 by Mecanix
No exaggeration. It is what it is. In fact it works so well it's creating a huge dilemma for myself at this point. The end goal is about to shift from having a simple dumb 3axis/3switches co2 laser retrofit, extended to having my parport milling machine reworked entirely also. It's getting even more confusing as I trial the plugins you've written. (addictive).

How did you get the w5500 spi speed field turned on? So much injustice going on. I see I see.

More
03 Aug 2024 20:39 #306880 by meister
spi speed field is new and maybe i have not pushed it yet to github.
i have done also some critical changes and have to test it all before i set it live
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
03 Aug 2024 20:52 #306881 by Mecanix
Please remind us to git-checkout when you think there are improvements we'd be interested in. I membership to The RIO Cult!!

i.e. exaggeration. See by yourself. Those are fairly impressive figures for what it is, Oliver. And so quit being humble about it and hard-push RIO out to the greater community. We NEED it, such options are highly valued. (Thanks 10000x again btw). 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, meister, Bongo

More
03 Aug 2024 23:43 - 03 Aug 2024 23:43 #306888 by tommylight
A while back i wanted to link this topic for someone who asked on the forum, i could not find it, so i pinned every topic regarding these projects i could find back then... seems i have missed quite a few so pinned this and all the rest.
Thank you.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2024 23:43 by tommylight. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: meister, Mecanix, Bongo

More
04 Aug 2024 01:57 #306891 by cornholio
W5500 seems to be ok so far, had it run through 2 goes of the example gcdoe, no issues.I'll just let it be for now.

Wasn't playing nicely when I had an intel NIC installed (this was just pruely for access to the local network). Even the UDP bridge was getting latency errors. Anyway removed the Intel NIC, all ok.

But yeah this is a hug improvement.

Many thanks ollie, and the clog2 issue appears to be fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meister

More
05 Aug 2024 01:06 #306954 by cornholio
Ok about 24hr later.
Linuxcnc has been idling all that time, run some gcode every now and again, screen goes blank after no input, wiggle the mouse and it wakes up, not a single packet issue.
I'd say it's pretty bloody good. World's better than before.
Thanks so much for the hard work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, meister

More
05 Aug 2024 08:31 #306977 by epineh
Hey guys awesome work so far, I would like to make a PCB for the Tang Nano 9K to plug into, basically a pin for pin copy of meister's Tango board, but with provision for a few extra bits that I'd like. Mainly provision for closed loop control of brushed DC servos.
My plan is to basically copy and paste the line receiver circuitry of my existing servo drives that I've been using for years and use that for the encoder feedback.
My question is which remaining pins on the Tang Nano are best suited for this task ? If possible I'd like a minimum of 5 axis so thats 10 inputs, 15 if we bring a Z pulse for homing/spindle/threading per axis. I realise there's only so many pins to go around but I'd drop a couple of standard inputs off the board if it meant it would all fit.
Also I'd be happy to post the layout once its finished/working and tested for others to use, but be warned I am going to use through hole parts as much as possible, I am old, have bad eyesight and have found out the hard way that through hole PCB's are more resilient to harsh climates, temperatures/humidity etc than PCB's with tiny surface mount parts.

Cheers.
Russell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix, Bongo

More
05 Aug 2024 09:00 #306981 by meister
Hi Russell,
you just have to pay attention to the HDMI pins and the 1.8V output on BANK3 (you can use it for 3.3V input)

the capacitors on the HDMI output can be remove, but than, you can not use the HDMI-Port anymore on the TanNano9k board.

if you need more pins, you can use shiftregister's, bud not for Highspeed-Encoder or pwm generation (including dir-pins), the shiftregs are very fast but produce some jitter.

@cornholio
thanks for testing, sounds good :)

More
05 Aug 2024 10:21 - 05 Aug 2024 10:21 #306984 by meister
new toy :)

www.amazon.de/dp/B07SSL1G18?psc=1&ref=pp...dt_b_product_details

works like a rotary-encoder, i think it should work in RIO
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2024 10:21 by meister.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

Time to create page: 0.644 seconds