LinuxCNC-RIO - RealtimeIO for LinuxCNC based on FPGA (ICE40 / ECP5)

More
06 Aug 2024 17:36 #307111 by Mecanix

it always depends on the application,

True. Let's hope that badboy will be fit for a 4ax mill, 2ax lathe and ofc a 3ax co2 retrofit (<- my first project). Nice connector link up btw, I use the same although in a 2.54mm pitch. 

Too kind, as always. Thanks for sharing your expertise. I've removed the uart interface, will add a ws2812b status led, and added an automotive 2A input supply from MPS (supporting 9~60vdc). That should work with my 24v and 48v PSUs. For the remaining bits you've advised, I'm eager to simply add bidirection translation for the 50 gpios and send that out "as-is" rather. Reason for this is; I want to test ALL gpios on that unknown-to-me fpga before sending out a final board version. Would that be a fair approach? 

Tiny motion control board, although likely to pack an incredible power (thanks to the Rio Cult!!). Still plenty real-estate for the translation and other upcoming gizmos. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: meister, Bongo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2024 17:50 #307112 by Mecanix
Schematic for the wizzy part. In case someone needs that. Never know...

The following user(s) said Thank You: meister, Bongo

More
07 Aug 2024 02:51 - 07 Aug 2024 02:54 #307135 by Mecanix
Reference routing (inspiration) for the above wiz part schematic. I doubt all that analog/digital isolation insanity is mandatory, but some does claim those motion control being noisy [rolleyes], and so best practice always just add them in if you are routing this. All what's left to do is the 3V3~5V translation and hooking up 50 gpios. Tomorrow. Maybe. 

My Riocore Kit looks forward its own faraday cage (EMP warfare protection [rolleyes x2[). Let's get in touch, Olivier - I'll send you one (or two!). 

Last edit: 07 Aug 2024 02:54 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meister

More
07 Aug 2024 06:17 #307143 by meister
wow, that looks really professional, you can tell it's not the first time you've done it.

I wouldn't know what to say about it either, you're doing really well!

More
07 Aug 2024 09:03 #307162 by cornholio
Looking good guys.

Set up a forum member yesterday with my Spartan6 hardware and a basic riocore config.

More
07 Aug 2024 09:09 - 07 Aug 2024 09:09 #307163 by meister
ahh, I just saw that Mecanix has 'riocore' on the case

maybe you should think again about the naming !?!?!

originally it was called LinuxCNC-RIO, where RIO stands for Realtime-Input-Output.

riocore was only the name for the repostitory, as I had initially separated it into core and gui for the rewrite (because of the dependencies), but this is now all in riocore.

Does anyone have a better name?
Last edit: 07 Aug 2024 09:09 by meister.

More
07 Aug 2024 09:59 #307164 by cornholio
F'ing Awesome.

But I'm an uncouth Aussie.

More
07 Aug 2024 15:32 #307184 by Mecanix

Does anyone have a better name?

1. LinuxCNC-RIO <
2. RIO
3. RIOCORE
4. Really Important OS

The enclosure was spontaneous and meant to illustrate the end goal for the protruded 90deg connectors. Just sketched a rectangle with 4 tabs, extruded it, cut off around the solids and branded it RIOCORE without thinking half-a-second (<-- birth defect). Really did took 3min from start to screenshot. ps. I'll admit I kinda like this RIOCORE though... sounds hardcore as it is! 

More
07 Aug 2024 15:42 #307185 by Mecanix
OT - In the context and spirit of "IN & OUT" here's a cool 8-ch part ya fpga boyz may find useful. Considering the cost per-IO on fpgas, it's occasionally advantageous to have them bidirectional on their equally expensive hardware. Example below: 

More
07 Aug 2024 16:08 #307188 by meister
your case just reminded me again that the name should also be fixed at some point
lsf0108pwr looks good, I have to remember it

but at the moment i don't know what exactly it's for, opto inputs don't need it and for step/dir outputs it might be too weak.
PMOD is usually 3.3V

maybe for some universal IO's

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds