Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
02 Nov 2022 11:01 #255775 by andypugh

OT, I'll look into it

Mark is there any good documents in how to get working with hal ?? like a good explanation that not geared to a programmer??

It confuses programmers too. It's not a programming language. It is a net-list that runs once. It loads a list of tasks (which run in strict sequence) and connects the inputs and outputs of those tasks to each other.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, arvidb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2022 11:10 #256056 by RotarySMP
@ SMC.Collins - I like the Feral Engineers linuxcnc videos on youtube. That would be a good place to start.

Here is this weeks video...

Cheers,
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco, smc.collins

More
20 Nov 2022 11:00 #257152 by RotarySMP
Our #1 fan Nico shot down my first plan for this part...

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, anfänger, smc.collins

More
27 Nov 2022 14:18 #257735 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Thanks for the new vid!

I bet those adapter holes were threaded from the factory and got wallowed out... subsequently replaced with screws & nuts by a ham-fisted owner or mechanic.

Tapping arm vs. light: mount the light with a longer stud and nut and have the anti-rotation bar internally threaded.  When you need it just thread it on to the exposed threads. Put a rubber cap over the exposed stud when you're not using the tapping head to keep the chips & snot off.  Feel free to lose the cap at the first opportunity.

Lathe threading overrun clearance: Insert mfgrs publish the dimensions of inserts (or you can approximate with calipers).  You'll need the tip center to insert edge, plus any angled lead-out, plus a bit for shoulder clearance.  On small threads with a shoulder I usually just pull straight out and skip the angled lead-out.  Assuming you've modeled the insert & holder properly, CAM tool path simulation is extremely helpful here. 

Cheers,
Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
28 Nov 2022 00:39 #257805 by andypugh
That mandrel job would have been very easy with the lathe macro screens. You would not have needed to write any G-code. (And when the thread came out tight, you could really easily just tweak the diameter ,1mm smaller and re-run the cycle.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
28 Nov 2022 18:46 #257880 by RotarySMP
Hi Andy,
If anyone reads this and missed what Andy is referring too:

Yeah, I was too lazy to check the insert and just guesstimated it. Duh!
I really , really want to install Lathe Macro's, but have the mismatch between my LCNC Version and your macros needing the latest. Rather than trying to work out how to install the beta version of the next LCNC, I was just waiting till it releases.

I think you are right. Mounting that heavy steel fan on threads cut in 6mm aluminium seemed like a poor design choice from the start. Bolting it with too large nuts was no better. The funny thing is that the final failure seems unrelated to the two bolts through the hub, or the nuts denting the radius.

To be honest, I would be better off making a new spindle light with 4000K LEDs, as the current one is way up past 6500K, and totally screws up my white balance. If I make it, I would epoxy in a few magnets to mount it, freeing up the screw hole.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

More
28 Nov 2022 21:18 #257894 by andypugh

I really , really want to install Lathe Macro's, but have the mismatch between my LCNC Version and your macros needing the latest. 

There are versions for both the latest (Bullseye + ) and older (Buster - ) here: github.com/andypugh/LatheMacros/releases

More
29 Nov 2022 01:32 #257929 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

To be honest, I would be better off making a new spindle light with 4000K LEDs, as the current one is way up past 6500K, and totally screws up my white balance. If I make it, I would epoxy in a few magnets to mount it, freeing up the screw hole.
Mark

If you'd use the Maho a bit more the dried coolant snot would yellow up the light nicely and save you the trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, anfänger

More
30 Nov 2022 22:20 #258163 by RotarySMP
LMAO!!! Brilliant.

More
01 Dec 2022 14:36 #258212 by RotarySMP
Hi Andy,
That is the sort of overview I was hoping for when I first went to your Github. If I had that, I would have installed the correct version straight away.

Probably my lack of familiarity with Github, as I didn't know to look to "release" on the RH side. Thanks for the clarification.
Maybe I can get it installed this weekend.
Mark

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds