Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
12 Oct 2022 08:45 - 12 Oct 2022 08:54 #254007 by RotarySMP
Thanks that is very clear. I guess I just got confused as there was one half created by PNFConf.

Another thing, limit switches. It should be pretty easy to add some to Z, ,but I will not be able to shield them very well. Would you guys tend toward microswitches or inductive prox sensors in the high swarf environment?
Mark
Last edit: 12 Oct 2022 08:54 by RotarySMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2022 04:34 #254055 by smc.collins
microswitches should be the easiest, and the cards you have from mesa will need to see a 70% change in voltage to trigger the event so if it's held low, at 0v, the switch will need to make at least 17v for the card to recognize it.

i wouldn't worry about no8se in a limit switch circuit, just make sure it's not parallel to a AC line that can induce voltage. should be fine otherwise, and if you have to run alongside a AC supply, just twist the wire like 10 turns per 50mm
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
13 Oct 2022 11:21 #254064 by RotarySMP
Thanks for the feedback on that. I will see if I can fit industrial end switches and an adjustment rail under the back of the saddle.

More
13 Oct 2022 12:55 #254071 by smc.collins

More
13 Oct 2022 16:19 #254075 by RotarySMP
Thanks for the tip.

More
14 Oct 2022 02:45 #254095 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Speaking of tips...

If you want to replace the custom-molded axis hall sensors on the lathe, I'd suggest taking a look at air cylinder piston sensors.  I've seen (and have) some really tiny proxys, reed, and hall switches that would probably fit in the cramped space.  A silicone casting of the existing sensor heads and you could then cast some replacements with the same unique shape. Put the new switch in the mold and fill it with epoxy - you've now got a custom-fit limit/home switch.

If you go with inductive proxys instead of halls, you can remove the brass plug and magnet targets from the saddle and replace with a plastic plug - preferably UHMW or some other non-swelling flavor of plastic.

Maybe even spring for shielded cables if you're worried about noise...  But your 24vdc system with NC sensors should be pretty resistant to that gremlin.

BTW, your existing sensor cable jackets appear have the same coolant-induced brittleness I've seen on older switches with PVC insulation.  They looked stiff as a board in the vids

More
15 Oct 2022 23:10 - 16 Oct 2022 14:55 #254197 by smc.collins
I was looking at my machine today the Cincinnati, and I have to be careful how it homes, because my tool carousel has a lot of stick out. so in my case I will home positive and use the index in the encoder. It will however require a very accurate stop switch and the indexing pulse to make it reliable and the base measurements of the machine need to be accurate as well

saw todays video, looking good man ! looks like you got the switches figured out ! most excellent. 
Last edit: 16 Oct 2022 14:55 by smc.collins.

More
16 Oct 2022 20:58 #254259 by RotarySMP
This is the video...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco, smc.collins

More
18 Oct 2022 09:22 #254385 by Ausschuss-Manufaktur
Great video as always!
Nice to see your 125 make some chips :)
Mine ist still in a cleaning and puzzling stage.
I have about the same wear in the ways as your machine has. (10-15 micron)
I also disassembled and cleaned the Ballscrews.
They are really easy to reassemble. If you ever feel the need to do so :)
I did not plan to put limit switches on my machine. Looking forward to your plans.

Lorenz

More
21 Oct 2022 22:22 #254736 by tommylight
Pretty sure this will make you happy as i am fairly sure you did not see it lately and i know you were following it from the start, enjoy:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32784...ofit?start=60#254728
P.S.
Did not want to link to videos here as not to hijack your topic.
Thank you.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds