XHC-WHB04B-6 LinuxCNC not working

More
24 Oct 2019 03:01 #148669 by satiowadahc
Randi, Do you have any halui pins available in halmeter? specifically halui.axis or halui.joint

?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2019 12:56 #148826 by JanPan
Hey everyone,
I used this Saturday to also play with the Handwheel (the 4 Axis version XHC-WHB04B-4).
I followed Talla83's instructions on talla83.de/xhcwhb04b.html and talla83.homepage.t-online.de/linuxcnc/XHC-WHB04B-6.zip, respectively.

So what I did is compiling the the current version with the files provided by talla and running it (in place; 2.9).

Some (maybe all) buttons work well, also the select switches, but unfortunately the jog wheel doesn't do anything. When checking
whb.axis.0.jog-counts
(what I expected to change during rotation of the wheel) nothing happens, it stays at 0 (but in the console you can see one line for every step).

Recompiling with modifying the ID to 0xEB93 in xhc-hb04.cc and using that module,
xhc-hb4.jog.counts
increases when turning the jog wheel (it always increases nevertheless turning to left or right but I guess thats ok...)

So is it correct that whb.axis.0.jog-counts should increase (or decrease) when I rotate the jog wheel? Any suggestions why it doesn't do it like it should?

Best
JanPan

More
26 Oct 2019 15:26 - 26 Oct 2019 15:33 #148834 by satiowadahc
Disclosure, I haven't used the machinekit drivers (That particular one was written by rubien for machinekit, looks like Talla83 modified it for linuxcnc, and was a massive help in writing this one).

You should be able to test it from the command line: xhc-whb04b-6

let me know if the output changes as you change the job wheel

Also there is protocol differences in the xhc-hb04 to the xhc-whb04. if you want to use that driver replace it with this one:
github.com/satiowadahc/linuxcnc/blob/2.8...er_comps/xhc-hb04.cc
Last edit: 26 Oct 2019 15:33 by satiowadahc.

More
27 Oct 2019 07:34 - 27 Oct 2019 07:35 #148865 by JanPan
Hi,
so I tested it from the command line and also running Linuxcnc from command line I can see the output that doesn't change:
pndnt handwheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=0 isLeadActive=0}
but I was not sure whether this is ok as it looks pretty the same in tallas video at 16:42 (unable to link it with the correct time):

It was more an "academic" question why it worked in tallas setup and not in mine. Maybe there is a lesson for me to learn...
Thanks satiowadahc, I already compiled your version and will use it today...

So what I definitely learned from this experiment is that compiling the current version of linuxcnc is really easy, straight forward and my favorite way to use linuxcnc in the future!
Thanks!
Jan Pan
Last edit: 27 Oct 2019 07:35 by JanPan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diederik

More
27 Oct 2019 16:34 #148898 by satiowadahc
I may look into his driver in a few days and see how he has everything set up.

The only other thing I could think of is having the axis selector set to an axis and the step size set to above 0

More
12 Nov 2019 16:29 #150224 by jonch919
I received mine today. Decent build quality for the price.
What version of the driver, and method of install, do you recommend?
There seems to be a few different versions now.

More
12 Nov 2019 17:06 #150232 by JanPan
I used the most straight forward way and build linuxcnc from the git repository including satiowadahc's modified version of the HB04 driver.
This works great (I still have to pimp my .hal, but the driver does what it is supposed to do).
Nevertheless there also is a nice guide from talla83 in the archive on his website talla83.de (the archive is available at talla83.homepage.t-online.de/linuxcnc/XHC-WHB04B-6.zip).
However, I was not able to work with this version of the driver...

More
12 Nov 2019 20:10 #150244 by jonch919
So you followed the instructions in the youtube video by talla83. But instead of the files he provided, you used files by satiowadahc instead.
Correct?
Where do I find the files you used?

More
12 Nov 2019 23:16 #150257 by satiowadahc
Earlier in this post I have the details.
My source code is here github.com/satiowadahc/linuxcnc/blob/mas...er_comps/xhc-hb04.cc

Which if you grab the linuxcnc source and replace their xhc-hb04 with mine it works like 75% of the commands #148668. Also earlier in this thread is some compiled versions for debian/ubuntu as well #148027

As a note udev/rules.d/ needs a one line file called 99-xhc.rules with:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idProduct=="EB93"},ATTR{idVendor=="10CE"}, MODE="666"

More
12 Nov 2019 23:18 #150258 by satiowadahc
I've been pulled to a few different projects as of late and haven't been able to get back to finishing the macro commands. but by the sounds of it, not many of my machinists want them, so they might get put to a back burner

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds