Esab Ultrarex UXD-P2000 Upgrade Project

More
17 Jun 2021 21:16 #212293 by tommylight
Quick update, last two sundays we spent working on this through phone, so now the machine has X and Y axis moving, tuned and homing properly, next is Z axis and THCAD.
All the stress that goes into working remotely is made much easier by the 3 guys there and so far has been fun and joy to work with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2023 09:44 - 08 Mar 2023 09:45 #266100 by Esaber
Thanks a bunch mister Tommy. It's been a pleasure working on this machine with you. We are almost there. Corona Virus stuff plus lack of time did halt the project for some time but we are back on track. Z encoder has also been wired and giving output on the linuxcnc software. My friend lost the small LAM usb programmer so I ordered another one. Another friend ordered one at the same time so we now have two usb programmers and a third one hiding somewhere looking at us and waiting for the end of the project to show up :-)
So next step is the LAM motor and the THCAD wiring and we can start cutting the world into pieces :-)
I will put some pics here later. Wiring stuff will also be added for anyone tackling a similar project on a similar machine.
2 years 9 months waaaw !
Last edit: 08 Mar 2023 09:45 by Esaber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Mar 2023 22:02 #267564 by Esaber
So the Z motor and drive were wired. But we're having issues jogging the Z motor. When I jog the Z axis I get an error. No idea what is wrong with the configuration.
@Tommy, here is the HAL file and the INI file.
Z motor is this one:
www.mechapro.de/shop/Stepper-motors/56mm...244.html?language=en
Z Drive is this one:
www.mechapro.de/shop/Stepper-motor-drive...ower-stage::319.html

Wiring:
Mesa to Z dive: GND / AOUT3 => Pin 1 / 2 on the CN4 connector

Z encoder is giving feedback when handled manually in both up and down directions.
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2023 01:24 #267576 by tommylight
Ok, found it:
Yank the AOUT3 connector from Mesa 7i77 and plug it into AOUT2.

More
27 Mar 2023 01:26 #267577 by tommylight

Ok, found it:
Yank the AOUT3 connector from Mesa 7i77 and plug it into AOUT2.

Edit,
Could you please add some pictures and some more info about the drive and wiring, so far no one has used an analog +-10V stepper drive, so i would like to have it here for others.
Thank you.

More
27 Mar 2023 14:57 #267607 by Esaber
Z drive wired to AOUT2. Still the same error.
I will upload pics and pinouts and wiring.

More
02 May 2023 09:17 #270463 by Esaber
Update:
We changed from the LAM DS3044 driver to a TB6600 and a mesaflash of the 5i25 pins in 5i25_7i77_7i76 mode. X-Y-Z are now working and moving. We have a Z homing issue with the esab home switch. Still working on this with Tommy. Big thanks to Tommy again for his valuable help. We have been bugging him throughout this project :-)
We are noticing one issue with the 7i77: It is drawing 4 amps of current from the PC 5v rail (for the 5v connector). It melted a connector I used to connect my amp meter. I measured the current when I noticed voltage dropping to 4.2v on the PC 5v wiring !! We probably wired something wrong. We will be going over the wiring to see what components are drawing this much power but if any of you guys have any idea you're welcome to share your thoughts.

More
02 May 2023 23:30 #270525 by tommylight
Check whatsapp, i wrote that you should unplug the encoders and test by plugging them back one by one and measuring current.
Probably the Z axis encoder, as the X and Y work properly.

More
03 May 2023 22:30 #270591 by Esaber
Will check that. Thanks.
Getting ready for the first cut this weekend, Tommy?

More
03 May 2023 23:07 #270596 by tommylight
Working out of town, will report back whenever possible.
Also figured out why you did not see the whatsapp messages, you leave it open all the time so when i write a lot it goes up. :)

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds