New Project with Mesa 7I96 and THCAD-05

More
25 Jun 2020 01:32 #172661 by TexasCNC
How much easier would it be if I just bought the interface card for my machine? Would I need resistors and would I need to put the thcad in the plasma machine still?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2020 02:09 #172668 by phillc54

How much easier would it be if I just bought the interface card for my machine? Would I need resistors and would I need to put the thcad in the plasma machine still?

You wouldn't need resistors and you could mount it in your control panel.

More
25 Jun 2020 08:00 #172692 by rodw

Yeah, I mounted mine in the plasma machine, I don't want any chance of the full arc voltage coming into the panel. I sent 24VDC to the machine and used one of those cheap buck converters to trim it to 5V.

Thats a better idea. Solves any voltage loss. I used one for my laser pointer.

More
07 Jul 2020 17:14 #173872 by TexasCNC
Need help with the motors stuttering on the axis on the wizard they run fine but when I run them through the axis they tend to stutter a bit I see it on the velocity on the display where they drop in speed and pickup and drop a bit. I have them wired on my kitchen table for now to make sure all is good before proceeding with the build. I mess with current settings on the drivers and still the same and this happens on all motors I see the stutter. Any idea what it can be?

More
07 Jul 2020 18:04 #173878 by tommylight
That is an issue with the "typematic rate" settings in some BIOS's, i did bump into that issue twice and PCW found a workaround for it,
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...elocity-fluctuations

More
13 Jul 2020 18:02 #174522 by TexasCNC
Awesome that did the trick there motors run smoothly now.

I am trying to find the steps in adding the thcad-10 and thcad-05 to my Mesa 7i96 card? I went through the Mesa program to add the encoder ports where does the thcad-05 get added on the card?

More
13 Jul 2020 18:40 #174527 by tommylight
Not sure, but i think you have to flash the 7i96 with a firmware for plasma (should have pl in the name), to get 3 encoder inputs.
So wiring the first THCAD to the first encoder pin and the second to the second pin should do the trick.

More
13 Jul 2020 19:08 #174531 by TexasCNC
Got it ok I found this schematic on linuxcnc and I see that a option to add a relay in there do I need to add that if not where do I wire the ohmnic output wire from output of Mesa card to the thcad-5?

More
13 Jul 2020 19:09 #174532 by TexasCNC
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2020 20:03 #174534 by rodw
There is not really any need for the relay and it would be best if it was not fitted but if you have a water table its best to use it so there is no risk of corrosion if water enters the torch tip. Plasmac has a pin to enable the Ohmic sensing circuit. Use that.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds