Linux Mint with RTAI

More
24 Nov 2015 02:52 - 24 Nov 2015 03:32 #65726 by tjmarch
Replied by tjmarch on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
After Gdebi install of deb files was able to look at /var/log/apt/history.log to find packages I was missing in setup.sh
and adjusted setup.sh accordingly. Now sudo dpkg -i linuxcnc_2.7.2_i386.deb works

Tim
Attached is new setup.sh script
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 03:32 by tjmarch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2015 20:17 #65878 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
I need to run this one more time on a blank computer to be sure I didn't miss anything. I have LinuxCNC 2.7.2 installed on LinuxMint with the Mate desktop and all seems well. I've attached my notes and the setup script.

JT
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Nov 2015 02:15 #66083 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
I did try the previous script on linux mint 17.2 mate and made it work despite some minor complaints.
Thank you all, will try the new script when i get some free time with a fresh install.
P.S.
I did check the topic that BigJohn referred me to, but there is nothing about making axis work, or i missed it.
Regards,
Tom

More
01 Dec 2015 00:11 #66140 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
This is the latest after installing a few times:

gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/mint-emc.txt

gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/setup.sh

JT

More
01 Dec 2015 09:46 #66153 by jtc
Replied by jtc on topic Linux Mint with RTAI

Hello, I am working on the Mint install.
I've been through the whole thing several times with the same result. very careful to follow procedure in the first post by BigJohnT.
Mint installs OK. runs good. then install RTAI with the 'setup.sh' script. everything appears to work, except when I actually boot into the PAE kernel.
I do not get the nice X windows display. The screen appears to come up in a terminal mode, but with the contrast reversed and the test goofed up. cannot really read anything on the screen clearly.
So, I have tried booting into 'recovery mode' which works fine. Once in recovery mode if I do an immediate 'resume boot' the boot continues and good old Mint come up fine.
Once booted this way, Linuxcnc seems to work fine. (I am currently moving a few configurations to the system) So far a Touchy config comes up. Gmocappy, and Gscreen work in sim, but Axis does not run at all.
I am pretty sure there is a graphics problem, duh.
It's an Intel based board with Intel on-board graphics.
Any help work be really appreciated. I've done a fair bit of searching but have not found any thing yet.
Is (are) there command line commands to reset the graphics?
help please.
It is an Intel based board with Intel on-board graphics.

Hi.

did you solve your problem?

I made a fresh install on a Asrock Q1900M, and when try to run on rtai kernel, the monitor characters/colors displays wrong, but if I loar the rtai kernel in recovery mode and resume boot, it boots ok.

any help will be welcome.

João

More
01 Dec 2015 10:32 #66155 by jtc
Replied by jtc on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
I open grub customizer and and looking at the configuration for Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce 32-bit, with Linux 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae and Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce 32-bit, with Linux 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae (recovery mode) I found that the first has this line:

gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode

I removed it, save and now it boots ok. At the moment don't know the implications of this.

João

More
01 Dec 2015 17:57 #66171 by tjmarch
Replied by tjmarch on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
JTC
You maybe interested in this thread for 64bit install with Rt-preempt kernel and linuxcnc
Or anyone else for that matter

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...-help?start=50#66166

Tim March
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

More
09 Dec 2015 23:17 #66704 by hickory43
Replied by hickory43 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Hello,
Just began to install Lcnc on Lmint and after running the script successfully and using "Grub Customizer" to select the RTAI kernal, after a reboot, the system comes up to a logon screen and goes into a loop. Nice wallpaper but will except my password that I used all through the installation. Any suggestions on getting out of this loop?

Thanks in advance.

More
09 Dec 2015 23:21 #66706 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux Mint with RTAI

Hello,
Just began to install Lcnc on Lmint and after running the script successfully and using "Grub Customizer" to select the RTAI kernal, after a reboot, the system comes up to a logon screen and goes into a loop.

Is it actually asking for username in the first dialog box?

(Debian does this: "Login" means username, "Password", well, you can work that out)

More
09 Dec 2015 23:28 #66708 by hickory43
Replied by hickory43 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Thanks for the quick response Andy!

Yes the first login box asks for your user name the the second asks for the pass word.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds