Linux Mint with RTAI

More
04 Jan 2016 15:49 #67840 by cncnoob1979
Replied by cncnoob1979 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Ahh ok, I got it.

The "start" menu is open and is overlaying on the linuxcnc program in that screen shot. (It appears almost the same color ect.)

I was attempting to show the cnc menu item was "messed up" because it placed linuxcnc under the "other" category with that install procedure.

And no worries. I'm still confused! :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 00:39 #68039 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
2.7.0 has this terrible menu that I made then I corrected it for 2.7.1.

JT

More
08 Jan 2016 01:21 - 08 Jan 2016 02:45 #68040 by cncnoob1979
Replied by cncnoob1979 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Did you post your changes? I'm just now installing on my mill pc. I just re-downloaded your files.

I'm such a noob.

The .deb packages you built are intended to be installed with a package manager.

I've been following your guide JT and building my Linuxcnc from source. Haha! No big deal - see I'm learning already ;) wish my brain would have kicked in before I told it to build the .deb

Oh well a learning point for me!
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 02:45 by cncnoob1979.

More
11 Jan 2016 01:08 #68167 by timewarp
Replied by timewarp on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Hi, I am also having a few problems installing Mint with xfce. I used JT's script. My motherboard is a gigabyte j1900.
When Grub starts the new rtai kernal, I get a black and white illegible screen. if I boot into safe mode and then continue, all is good.
I think this is the same thing as jts was experiencing??
Here is My grub config file if that helps.
pastebin.com/ktU2kx9n
Linux experience is limited!

Paul

More
11 Jan 2016 17:26 #68186 by Roguish
Replied by Roguish on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Google is your friend.
a quick search for 'linux mint xfce video problem' found this. may be of some use, read well down ....
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-n...n-linux-mint-759315/

good luck.

More
11 Jan 2016 20:08 - 11 Jan 2016 20:13 #68197 by timewarp
Replied by timewarp on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Here is my screen. You think this is a resolution problem?
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 20:13 by timewarp.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:59 #68208 by Roguish
Replied by Roguish on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Yeah, I have seen the same thing. Just can't remember the solution off the top of the head right now.

Look for a way to reconfigure the video driver. Remember if you need to edit any system files, you have to use root privileges. I use sudo <editor> filename.

Problem is all these different linux ditros put that stuff in different files and different places. Gotta find it for your specific distro/displaymanager/desktop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: timewarp

More
15 Jan 2016 17:10 #68472 by whyme
Replied by whyme on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
thanks for the scipt, worked well on 17.3 Mate (only a few pakages were missing: python-imaging-tk and python-numpy)

And I get the same error as in this post ( forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...-rtai?start=40#67661 ). linuxcnc works, but everytime I install a package, apt-get tells me, that linuxcnc is not fully installed. I'm not that fit in linux to fix this, so i'm happy, that it works.

Now the only thing I need is this damn realtek 8111/8168 driver for my board, but thats another topic.

More
15 Jan 2016 22:21 #68497 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Just to keep this thread on track I'll remind everyone that the script and my instructions as well as a deb is here . I have 2 computers running this exact setup.

JT

More
18 Jan 2016 03:19 #68647 by hickory43
Replied by hickory43 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Starting with Linux Mint 17.2 - Mate, I have loaded linuxcnc 2.7.3 four times using JT's method listed above, each indicating errors in the loading lcnc but appears to work, except that it will not start my units program. It sees the program, loads the .ini and hal but then finds problems in usr/lib/python2.7 and Usr/bin/axis and shuts down. The program files that I have importing into linuxcnc/configs/ are running my machine (CNC Router) on another computer on linuxcnc 2.7.3 on lucid linux. My question is there something different needed to run this linuxcnc on Mint? The last two times trying to get a successful program I have not allowed the script to run beyond the point that it stops to ask you the press enter and then requests cloning linuxcnc into linuxcnc_source. It appears to me that this is duplicate effort when you next clone linuxcnc into lcnc. Is this a true statement?
Any advice or assistance will be appreciated.

Hickory43

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds