Linux Mint with RTAI

More
12 Dec 2015 22:56 #66897 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
When you install LinuxMint if you check auto log in or something to that effect you don't need your password to log in.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2016 17:05 - 01 Jan 2016 17:36 #67655 by cncnoob1979
Replied by cncnoob1979 on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
Hey Guys!

Its a new year and I'm trying to figure this out. I'm not sure if it is critical or not. Being a newbie sucks! :)

I followed the readme posted by tjmarch to the letter multiple times, however I still haven't been able to get the menu to populate as demonstrated in other post-installs, posted to this thread. I have done about 10 clean installs without upgrading anything and this is still my outcome. I did not notice any errors or anything out of the ordinary.

Any help would be most appreciated! Let me know what I need to post to help with troubleshooting. I haven't been on Linux since 2006 and have forgotten most of what I knew.

Linux Mint 17.2 [MATE (32-bit) using 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae kernel

I have axis working in sim mode using RTAI for testing, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong :( It seems that I have a permissions issue. I had to run as administrator for the first run.

Also I am aware that real time kernel in VMware will time out, just wanting to do what I plan on using on my build.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 17:36 by cncnoob1979.

More
01 Jan 2016 18:23 - 01 Jan 2016 18:25 #67658 by BigJohnT
I've just uploaded my latest notes including the menu fix as well as others to my website here . There is something wrong with your install procedure if you have to launch LinuxCNC with sudo... I think I've installed about 10 times with the latest instructions just to test and I think I've got everything covered, if not let me know.

JT
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 18:25 by BigJohnT.

More
01 Jan 2016 18:37 #67659 by cncnoob1979
Thanks JT,

I was under the impression your install was a different procedure. I'll use your method to see if I get a different outcome. Man this is fun but frustrating, you don't know what you don't know! lol

Thanks for the help.

More
01 Jan 2016 19:02 #67660 by BigJohnT
Mine varied I think in what desktop you ended up with and perhaps how you got from blank to running LinuxCNC as well as all the other little fixes I ran across along the way. And you are very correct the more you know the more you realize you don't know about...

JT

More
01 Jan 2016 20:21 - 01 Jan 2016 20:30 #67661 by cncnoob1979
JT,

Just finished the installation and went very smooth. However while installing the deb I did get a error.
Installing new version of config file /etc/linuxcnc/rtapi.conf ...
dpkg: error processing package linuxcnc (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Did you get the same on your install? Otherwise everything worked and the menu fix was spot on. Thanks for the help brother! I hope things go this smooth when I install on my mini atx motherboard.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 20:30 by cncnoob1979.

More
01 Jan 2016 23:04 #67666 by BigJohnT
I don't remember an error like that but if your up and running ignore it! Now if I can figure out why my image is not showing up...

JT

More
04 Jan 2016 13:51 #67821 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
For some reason you seem to have "LinuxCNC Configuration Picker" rather than "LinuxCNC" but I am fairly sure that they do the same thing.

More
04 Jan 2016 15:16 #67833 by cncnoob1979
Sorry Andy I'm not following your statement. Linuxcnc configuration picker vs Linuxcnc?

Are you saying with my above configuration I have the configuration picker open?

I'm running the sim mode to verify the install procedure. How would I tell either way, or how could you tell?

More
04 Jan 2016 15:19 #67835 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux Mint with RTAI
In the second image of #67655 I see a menu item "LinuxCNC Configuration Selector" which I suspect has the same function as the "LinuxCNC" menu item that you said was missing.

Or I might be completely confused. It happens a lot.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds