Material Settings Glitch

More
19 Feb 2020 01:02 #157795 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Material Settings Glitch
I have pushed a fix for this issue

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#157794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 01:09 #157798 by snowgoer540

You're awesome! Thank you so much.

More
20 Feb 2020 11:38 #157985 by snowgoer540

So, I looked at the things you changed on github to try to understand what the issue was. There's no shame in admitting that I couldnt follow. My question is, how did you all learn Python? Is there anything you recommend to push me further quicker than trying to read line by line and understand what is what?

More
20 Feb 2020 22:34 #158069 by phillc54
Basically it was only saving stuff below the Cut Parameters if the Default Material was selected, that was the moving of the "if material" line. Plus THC auto/on/off was saving.
All self taught, a LOT of googling.
A reasonable starting point developers.google.com/edu/python

More
21 Feb 2020 07:45 #158092 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch

This is more than reasonable, the lectures are the best I think! If you force yourself to do all the lessons you will be off to a great start but it does assume you know another programming language before you start. That way you will know all about programming constructs and variables.

My trouble is I don't use Python enough so I forget it all before I use it again

More
21 Feb 2020 07:52 #158093 by phillc54

My trouble is I don't use Python enough so I forget it all before I use it again

I am like that with C. I really struggle when I have to do something with it.

More
21 Feb 2020 08:13 #158096 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch

I am like that with C. I really struggle when I have to do something with it.

I've used C since the DOS days. As a result I'm not very good with classes but everything else is good. To use C you need to learn how to use pointers (and structures). A lot of people avoid this but when you master them they are so powerful. But what blows me away is that what would take 1000 lines in C can be done in Python in 100!

A lot of the python stuff I've done has been using web based API's retrieving data from cloud based systems and its amazing at that. I have a project I'm interested in that will use Python, Raspberry PI's and AWS if you are up for a Python challenge! You can be my chief programmer and we'll share the millions!

More
21 Feb 2020 08:21 #158097 by phillc54

I've used C since the DOS days. As a result I'm not very good with classes but everything else is good. To use C you need to learn how to use pointers (and structures). A lot of people avoid this

You know me well...

A lot of the python stuff I've done has been using web based API's retrieving data from cloud based systems and its amazing at that. I have a project I'm interested in that will use Python, Raspberry PI's and AWS if you are up for a Python challenge! You can be my chief programmer and we'll share the millions!

Haha, I love $ almost as much as my Macs
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
21 Feb 2020 11:40 #158120 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Material Settings Glitch

Haha, I love $ almost as much as my Macs

I am getting worried .... :)

More
21 Feb 2020 11:58 #158124 by snowgoer540

Basically it was only saving stuff below the Cut Parameters if the Default Material was selected, that was the moving of the "if material" line. Plus THC auto/on/off was saving.

Thank you guys for the direction! I do have previous coding experience, and I'm usually pretty good at walking through the code and figuring out what's wrong. As far as writing code, I can plagiarize (aka take something someone else did that is close to what I want and then modify it to meet my needs via googling, etc) like a champ. I would struggle to write from scratch these days.

But python might as well be moon man language. Maybe it's a mental block.

Thanks again!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds