Material Settings Glitch

More
10 Jun 2020 21:15 #171001 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch
AN explanation I wrote yesterday for somebody keen do add a Plasmac post processor to his software.
So the next problem is how does gcode tell plasmac to load a particular cutting chart entry? This code does that:
M190 P12
 M66 P3 L3 Q2
 F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>

The custom M190 Pn tells plasmac to load cutting chart entry n from its GUI ( entry 12 in the example above).
But this loading is not instantaneous so when Plasmac has eventually retrieved the tool, it sets Digital Output number 3 true so M66 P3 L3 Q2 says wait for 2 seconds (Q2) for Digital input 3 (P3) go high (L3)
Then the gcode knows it can safely use the <_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> variable and all of the probe heights, pierce delays etc are set for the cut.

So you need to use the materiaverter to read your toolset and send it to PLasmac so the tools agree in the two systems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2020 22:59 #171003 by snowgoer540

AN explanation I wrote yesterday for somebody keen do add a Plasmac post processor to his software.
So the next problem is how does gcode tell plasmac to load a particular cutting chart entry? This code does that:
M190 P12
 M66 P3 L3 Q2
 F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>

The custom M190 Pn tells plasmac to load cutting chart entry n from its GUI ( entry 12 in the example above).
But this loading is not instantaneous so when Plasmac has eventually retrieved the tool, it sets Digital Output number 3 true so M66 P3 L3 Q2 says wait for 2 seconds (Q2) for Digital input 3 (P3) go high (L3)
Then the gcode knows it can safely use the <_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> variable and all of the probe heights, pierce delays etc are set for the cut.

So you need to use the materiaverter to read your toolset and send it to PLasmac so the tools agree in the two systems

Ok! I sort of figured that was what was going on nice to confirm. The problem is currently I only have 3 materials in plasmac, and it doesn’t seem to call material 2 if I use that for some reason. There’s definitely something going on here.

More
10 Jun 2020 23:15 - 10 Jun 2020 23:42 #171009 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Material Settings Glitch
Can you post your material file then I can run that with your code.

EDIT: There is an issue with line numbers...

As a workaround can you change your PP so it doesn't print line numbers and hopefully that will work. In the meantime I will work on a solution.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 23:42 by phillc54.

More
11 Jun 2020 00:06 #171018 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch
So what tools do you have in sheetcam? I think a lot of problems would be solved if you deleted your plasmac tool file and ran the materialverter so it agreed with sheetcam.

More
11 Jun 2020 00:46 #171028 by snowgoer540

Can you post your material file then I can run that with your code.

EDIT: There is an issue with line numbers...

As a workaround can you change your PP so it doesn't print line numbers and hopefully that will work. In the meantime I will work on a solution.

Ah ok, sorry I broke it :blush:

Do you still need the materials file?

More
11 Jun 2020 00:47 #171029 by snowgoer540

So what tools do you have in sheetcam? I think a lot of problems would be solved if you deleted your plasmac tool file and ran the materialverter so it agreed with sheetcam.

To be candid, I didn’t know the materialverter was a thing. I’m open to suggestion for work flow for sure. Sheetcam is very new to me.

More
11 Jun 2020 00:51 #171031 by phillc54

Ah ok, sorry I broke it :blush:

Lets just say that you are more efficient at bug finding than most folk.

Do you still need the materials file?

May as well, you never know... ;)

More
11 Jun 2020 00:53 - 11 Jun 2020 00:55 #171032 by snowgoer540

Lets just say that you are more efficient at bug finding than most folk.

Haha, I actually consider that a compliment! If it's any consolation, sometimes I think I annoy the Tormach guys finding bugs with PathPilot,.. I truly wish I understood how to fix them, then at least I could propose solutions as well.

May as well, you never know... ;)

Attached!

Thanks Phill, as always!
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 00:55 by snowgoer540. Reason: 1too many pesky quotes, 2attaching for real this time

More
11 Jun 2020 01:03 #171034 by phillc54

Haha, I actually consider that a compliment! If it's any consolation, sometimes I think I annoy the Tormach guys finding bugs with PathPilot,.. I truly wish I understood how to fix them, then at least I could propose solutions as well.

Actually I find it difficult to find bugs, when I change something then I think I have tested every angle but there is always something I didn't try. It takes a LOT longer to test changes than it does to make them so having bug finders is handy...:)

More
11 Jun 2020 01:10 #171036 by snowgoer540

Actually I find it difficult to find bugs, when I change something then I think I have tested every angle but there is always something I didn't try. It takes a LOT longer to test changes than it does to make them so having bug finders is handy...:)

Well then I’m happy to do my part to help improve everyone’s user experience, it’s the least I can do. While I was running the job I had over the weekend I was thinking how insanely lucky we all are to have the Plasmac interface, and I was thinking about how incredibly good not only the software is, but also the group of people who support it. So thanks again to all involved. I feel that doesn’t get said enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds