Material Settings Glitch

More
09 Jun 2020 07:02 #170766 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Material Settings Glitch
Thanks Phill Personally I did not like the way it was with it keep saving to the default when you altered a material.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2020 07:04 #170767 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Material Settings Glitch

Thanks Phill Personally I did not like the way it was with it keep saving to the default when you altered a material.

No worries Clive.

Actually after playing around with it today I realised that it was a stupid idea. :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
09 Jun 2020 10:36 #170802 by snowgoer540

I pushed a hopefull fix for the ohmic kangaroo.

I pushed a fix for material saving and changed it so if you save a material it doesn't end up as the default and the Default can be saved independently.

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#170753

Is the Ohmic Kangaroo the issue I referred to, or something else I missed?

So I missed that the default would change with a save. But I just wanted to make sure you saw that there were time when it changed every material (I was on 00002, and it changed 00001 and 00000 as well). Not sure if that was nipped in the bud as part of the glitch mitigation or not?

At any rate, you work fast. I always legitimately enjoy when we find an issue, are able to reproduce it, and mitigate it in a short amount of time. I think it's pretty neat. Thanks for the dedication!

More
09 Jun 2020 10:39 - 09 Jun 2020 10:39 #170803 by phillc54
The ohmic kangaroo was Rods probe issue.

Not sure if everything is fixed. I am sure you will find out if it isn't. ;)
Last edit: 09 Jun 2020 10:39 by phillc54.

More
09 Jun 2020 10:41 #170804 by snowgoer540

*cracks knuclkes* Challenge accepted! :laugh:

More
09 Jun 2020 10:45 #170806 by snowgoer540

I am curious though... did it specifically have to do with paused motion?

More
09 Jun 2020 10:48 #170808 by phillc54
TBH I couldn't get it to change behaviour when paused.
One thing I meant to ask you was if the gcode you were running had any material changes.

More
09 Jun 2020 11:06 - 09 Jun 2020 11:07 #170812 by snowgoer540

TBH I couldn't get it to change behaviour when paused.
One thing I meant to ask you was if the gcode you were running had any material changes.

To be honest, I am not really sure. I switched over to SheetCAM really recently (ok, ok, full disclosure, I bought the license 2-3 months ago and just now forced myself to use it). I filled out the material settings in sheet cam, and I was surprised when the Gcode it spit out left it up to the feedrates, etc in the Plasmac materials library. So, clearly I am doing something wrong (maybe).

But there is code that has it pause and wait for material to be applied (I think) at the beginning of the Gcode, is that what you mean?

I am happy to upload the Gcode when I get home. It's nothing sensitive.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2020 11:07 by snowgoer540.

More
09 Jun 2020 21:56 #170882 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch

I switched over to SheetCAM really recently (ok, ok, full disclosure, I bought the license 2-3 months ago and just now forced myself to use it). I filled out the material settings in sheet cam, and I was surprised when the Gcode it spit out left it up to the feedrates, etc in the Plasmac materials library. So, clearly I am doing something wrong (maybe).

Yes, thats by design. That way there is only one master of the cut settings. Basically Sheetcam just sends Plasmac the tool number to use But its very useful to be able to create all your tools in Sheetcam and export as it has a good GUI for that. It also lets you fine tune the cut settings in PLAsmac and save them there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
10 Jun 2020 18:26 - 10 Jun 2020 18:29 #170984 by snowgoer540

I switched over to SheetCAM really recently (ok, ok, full disclosure, I bought the license 2-3 months ago and just now forced myself to use it). I filled out the material settings in sheet cam, and I was surprised when the Gcode it spit out left it up to the feedrates, etc in the Plasmac materials library. So, clearly I am doing something wrong (maybe).

Yes, thats by design. That way there is only one master of the cut settings. Basically Sheetcam just sends Plasmac the tool number to use But its very useful to be able to create all your tools in Sheetcam and export as it has a good GUI for that. It also lets you fine tune the cut settings in PLAsmac and save them there.

Interesting. This is a good example of my ignorance helping me to find an "unintended feature" in plasmac (aka a glitch :laugh:). At any rate, I had a go at the updated code, and it still does it. It does seem to be stemming from my G-Code. It at least incites the software riot. I have attached the .ngc for your review.

I think the problem is with these two lines:
N00180  M190 P1 (20ga steel finecut lowspeed material)
N00190  M66 P3 L3 Q2 (wait for valid change)

Previous to updating today, every time I ran the code spit out of SheetCAM, it would pause on the material selection area.

After updating today, this code ran fine, and there were no pauses or hesitations in the program, however when I ran the job before, I had Material 00002 selected. It seemed to run the job at those settings (it never changed it to Material 00001). After updating, every time I hit cycle start, it would change the material to 00001. "Ok, maybe it's because Phill fixed something" I thought...

So I changed the P1 to a P2 so that it would choose the correct material. This is when the bugs came back. It didn't change the material type, it stayed on the selected 0001, and when I paused the program, I saved, and the changes I just made reverted back, as per the previous posts. I don't think it overwrote all of my other materials from the selected material and below, so that part seems fixed.

I'm a bit confused as to exactly what the M66 is doing. the user guide says "waits for the material change to be confirmed" and the commented code says "waits for valid change". However, there are no prompts, and from what I can tell the valid material isn't being selected.

Does any of this help you hone in on the problem?

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 18:29 by snowgoer540. Reason: remove incoherent babbling

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds