Material Settings Glitch

More
08 Jun 2020 16:21 #170660 by snowgoer540

I changed one today and it seemed to stick without any problems so there might be a sequence. I'll keep an eye out.

There is one long standing bug I saw again today and I think its because my float switch is not working.
If the Ohmic probe fails and the float switch does not trigger and the end of travel is reached, the Z axis goes into a continuous never ending probing loop. My limit is set just below the material so generally what happens is my torch partly dislodges from the breakaway just before the end of travel is reached, but clips back into place on the up travel. Or probing over a void will cause it.

Rod are you on 2.8 or 2.9? I'm running 2.9. I think you are as well. I know Phill is on 2.8. Maybe that's one thing to consider?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2020 18:39 #170666 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Material Settings Glitch
Yeh, I'm running 2.9 but it does not matter. Its been doing it since before 2.9 existed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
08 Jun 2020 23:33 #170724 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Material Settings Glitch
@rodw
While sitting here waiting for a haircut it occurred to me to ask if you have Ohmic Retries set to a value.

More
08 Jun 2020 23:55 - 08 Jun 2020 23:55 #170727 by snowgoer540

@rodw
While sitting here waiting for a haircut it occurred to me to ask if you have Ohmic Retries set to a value.

@phillc54 ... Good news, I've figured out how to duplicate it! So when I first opened Plasmac, I couldnt get it to do it either. Then it dawned on me that I changed it either after a run that was paused, or during the pause. That seems to be what causes the problems. Bad news, I've learned that it reeks havoc on all the materials. You'll see in the two different videos that even though the specific problem I mentioned at the start of this thread rekindle didnt happen, it copied the settings from 00001 material to 00000. It's also important to note that you can clearly see I pick Material 00002 at the beginning but at some point when it paused, it changed it to 00001 (I didnt do that manually). You can see my pause in the video because I thought I messed up.

Video 2, is basically the same as video 1, but it glitched slightly differently. It didnt change the material type on me, but it did copy the 00002 settings to 00001 and 00000. Also, you'll see I change the kerf width, and when I click save, it changes it to the previous value.

So, not sure what's going on, but it seems to revolve around paused motion.

Video 1
Video 2

@rodw ... you dont get off the hook either haha. Found a potential bug for you. Yesterday ohmic sension on .035" sheet worked perfect. Today, when I opened the program with a completely dry torch, I got unexpected results. When I would do a probe test, it would go down, ohmic touch the surface, but the light wouldnt go out. It stayed tripped. Which caused the torch to slowly back up. I took the torch apart to ensure it was clean, couldnt find a reason why it wouldnt work today but it did yesterday. I shut down PlasmaC, restarted, and it worked without issue.

At any rate, as always, let me know if I can provide more feedback.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2020 23:55 by snowgoer540.

More
09 Jun 2020 01:25 #170738 by rodw

@rodw

Yes but only 3 not 9993 but I'll double check.

Snowgoer, I had some unexplained issues like that yesterday. Couple of times, I polished tip and material with a rag and it improved. Other times I pulsed the torch a couple of times. I did not have time to check it. I think we need an adjustment for the thresholds. I was going to do some probing tests.

If Phill helps me get going with Github I might be able to do a PR with revised components.

More
09 Jun 2020 01:46 #170743 by snowgoer540

@rodw

Yes but only 3 not 9993 but I'll double check.

Snowgoer, I had some unexplained issues like that yesterday. Couple of times, I polished tip and material with a rag and it improved. Other times I pulsed the torch a couple of times. I did not have time to check it. I think we need an adjustment for the thresholds. I was going to do some probing tests.

If Phill helps me get going with Github I might be able to do a PR with revised components.

Ok, just found it weird that a restart made it go back to normal. At any rate, I’m always happy to do more testing. In this case pulsing the torch didn’t help, as it was dry as a martini.

I don’t know what you mean by “do a PR”?

More
09 Jun 2020 02:04 #170745 by rodw
PR = Pull request into Linuxcnc

More
09 Jun 2020 02:06 - 09 Jun 2020 02:07 #170746 by phillc54
When you save a material, that material will also be saved as the default.
See Save and Reload Buttons: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...de.html#config-panel

It is possibly not a good idea but it has been that way since the beginning and there have been no complaints (that I remember...)

I can easily change it if that is what you guys think.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2020 02:07 by phillc54. Reason: typo

More
09 Jun 2020 02:13 #170748 by rodw
I don't think any of us care if we have sheetcam or something managing the materials for us.

More
09 Jun 2020 05:03 - 09 Jun 2020 05:04 #170754 by phillc54
I pushed a hopefull fix for the ohmic kangaroo.

I pushed a fix for material saving and changed it so if you save a material it doesn't end up as the default and the Default can be saved independently.

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#170753
Last edit: 09 Jun 2020 05:04 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, rodw, snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds