Hypersensing questions

More
24 Apr 2020 12:16 #165381 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Hypersensing questions

(snowgoer540 where are you

:laugh: I’m coming! I think maybe you might have missed my post about the electrical house finally shipping my stuff yesterday. Resistors are supposed to be here this afternoon sometime. Current plan is to get my car inspected in an hour, light a fire in the shop to warm it up a bit and do some other odds and ends until the resistors shows up. Then I’m itching to do some wiring and play. The lady works until 8p tonight so I’ll have plenty of time to do some testing :fingers crossed:

Yesterday! I saw that this morning and it was Friday here already so I chuckled! I figured you'd report in when you could! My working week is done here 9:45 pm Friday..

I'm lucky in that my work schedule lets me have every other Friday off. Which means yesterday was Thriday!

This whole time zone thing reminds me of that scene from "Spaceballs". :laugh:

When will then be now...?? ...SOON!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2020 12:22 #165382 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hypersensing questions
LOL on the spaceballs, it was very good, still is.

More
24 Apr 2020 13:18 - 24 Apr 2020 13:20 #165388 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Hypersensing questions
You lot don't half watch some shit. Miss spent youth I bet. I used to watch Muffin the Mule :woohoo:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2020 13:20 by Clive S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Apr 2020 13:24 #165391 by tommylight

You lot don't half watch some shit. Miss spent youth I bet. I used to watch Muffin the Mule :woohoo:

LOL

More
24 Apr 2020 23:17 - 24 Apr 2020 23:19 #165451 by snowgoer540
Ok, so I have some feedback.

1. I clearly have no idea how to use halscope. I set channel 1 to ohmic-volts and channel 2 to ohmic-on. I can see the voltage squiggle on channel 1. I searched through the pictures and matched everything else I could match, but for the life of me, I couldnt get the two to show up at the same time.

2. "Results may not be typical" they say. I guess that applies here. I am not sure why, but I didnt get the drastic drop in voltage that Uthayne saw after splashing water up into the torch. To simulate worst case, I do have new consumables in the torch. However, 1 24K resistor took me from wet torch voltage being pegged at 24.5v to fluctuating between 22.9 and 23.5 volts. I added a second 24K in parallel (to bring me to 12K), and it dropped me to about 22.5-23 for fluctuations. I'm open to suggestion here, and I attached a pic to make sure I installed the resistor in the correct location, but I'm fairly certain I did.

3. I installed the ohmic2 comp, and made the additions to my hal file to use it in mode 1. I set my threshold at 23.5volts (With the 2 resistors in parallel). I was able to probe successfully. I just really wish that my wet torch voltage was lower than ~23v as I'm near the top of the threshold.

4. I explained what I was working on and why it's important to my girlfriend with a piece of aluminum foil... ohmic sensing doesnt hardly deform it, ohmic sensing unchecked pokes a hole right through it. She was impressed. :laugh:

Overall, I need to understand why the 24K resistor didnt give me the same results everyone else is seeing. I also need noob instructions on how to use halscope so I can get you guys some good screen shots.

Seems like a step forward, albeit not as big of one as I would have liked.

-Greg

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2020 23:19 by snowgoer540.

More
24 Apr 2020 23:52 #165457 by tommylight

1. I clearly have no idea how to use halscope.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/tutorial.html
Section 5

2. "Results may not be typical" they say. I guess that applies here. I am not sure why, but I didnt get the drastic drop in voltage that Uthayne saw after splashing water up into the torch. To simulate worst case, I do have new consumables in the torch. However, 1 24K resistor took me from wet torch voltage being pegged at 24.5v to fluctuating between 22.9 and 23.5 volts. I added a second 24K in parallel (to bring me to 12K), and it dropped me to about 22.5-23 for fluctuations. I'm open to suggestion here, and I attached a pic to make sure I installed the resistor in the correct location, but I'm fairly certain I did.

That all seems ok, and that will vary a lot depending on the torch used.

4. I explained what I was working on and why it's important to my girlfriend with a piece of aluminum foil... ohmic sensing doesnt hardly deform it, ohmic sensing unchecked pokes a hole right through it. She was impressed. :laugh:

LOL, very nice idea.
The resistor is OK, if that is how you have it set up.

More
25 Apr 2020 00:18 #165459 by snowgoer540

LOL, very nice idea.
The resistor is OK, if that is how you have it set up.

Haha yea I didn’t expect it to work as well as it did. I’ll do it again tomorrow and get some video. It’s a good advertising video lol.

In fairness I’m drenching the torch to make it pretty wet. There really isn’t a reason a torch should get as wet as in my tests. But it’s worst case and still working, so that seems super positive.

I may go back to one 24K resistor just because that’s what everyone else is using here. Nice to keep things congruent and will likely help @pcw choose for whatever he has up his sleeve in the future. I was just monkeying around in lieu of knowing how to make halscope work to get the data points rodw and uthayne are showing.

It occurs to me as I type everyone’s username that maybe am introduction thread isn’t the worst thing (like I always used to think it was).

More
25 Apr 2020 00:18 #165460 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Hypersensing questions
snowgoer540, are you using a Duramax machine torch? That's what I am using with my HT 45XP

More
25 Apr 2020 00:50 #165462 by tommylight

It occurs to me as I type everyone’s username that maybe am introduction thread isn’t the worst thing (like I always used to think it was).

Here ya go:
www.tomberisha.com

More
25 Apr 2020 00:56 #165463 by snowgoer540

snowgoer540, are you using a Duramax machine torch? That's what I am using with my HT 45XP

Yep, same torch! Are you using new consumables/shield? I’m guessing the voltage goes down as the consumables get worn and dirty...

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds