Hypersensing questions

More
25 Apr 2020 16:19 #165551 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Hypersensing questions
Ok I feel better now about what I’m seeing. A torch pulse definitely clears it out. So I think we are seeing the same thing. At least now I know I’m not an anomaly.

Once I figure out halscope, I’ll get some screen shots to add to the data set.

You’re using mode 1 with N=10, correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2020 16:21 #165552 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Hypersensing questions
Good! Worst thing you'll have to do is pulse the torch before you run the job, no big deal. Post cut air flow clears it before you go to probe.

Yes, mode 1 with N=10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
25 Apr 2020 16:31 #165555 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hypersensing questions
This looks more promising, and the "sometimes wet torch" can be fixed by adding a hal comp that will check the voltage at the probe signal and if it is higher than say 15v it would issue a pulse for the torch. Much better than having to do that manually.

More
25 Apr 2020 20:19 #165573 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Hypersensing questions
Its good that the resistor llows you to clear the torch short by pulsing the torch.
Just reiterating. The purpose of the pulse torch button. Its to clear the torch of water...
Also the test ohmic sensor button is designed to test if there is a short in the torch tip. Pressing it should light up the ohmic button if its shorted.
So the workflow should be:
1. check sensor
2. Pulse torch if ohmic enabled
3. Run your job.

Everybody's environment will be different but on my torch with my town water + additive I got reliable sensing on a change of 0.1 volts before adding the resistor.

This looks more promising, and the "sometimes wet torch" can be fixed by adding a hal comp that will check the voltage at the probe signal and if it is higher than say 15v it would issue a pulse for the torch. Much better than having to do that manually.

Tommy, that is a good idea.
I did think that being able to pulse the torch via gcode might be handy too.
plasmac.torch_pulse_start seems to be the pin to toggle.
I think I'll leave that for others because I don't want to hack into plasmac too much.
To hook into a pin that is in use, you have to use or2 in hal so that the existing plasmac function OR your new function can trigger plasmac. Where I've done this, I've used unlinkp in my connections.hal first to avoid hacking any of the standard plasmac hal files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Apr 2020 20:40 - 25 Apr 2020 23:40 #165576 by tommylight
I am not there yet, THCAD's are still wandering through Europe, all i got left are 2 faulty plasma cutters and none of them have shielding on the torch, a compressor that can not do over 4 Bar and the minimum for plasma is 5 so i have to open the plasma and short the under pressure switch, still waiting on the parts for the two machines i am building as today i got a call from the person who is working on that to let me know that he has NO mild steel sheets longer than 2 meters and i need some at 3 meters, got some small ALU parts but still waiting for the 125X44mm for the gantries on those two machines, etc etc......
But we do have movement ! I made two belt geared reductions today and attached to one of the machines so it moves, while it is still on it's back !
More at
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/38547...plasma-build?start=0
After i get some pictures and videos.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 23:40 by tommylight. Reason: forgot the caps "no"

More
25 Apr 2020 23:21 #165589 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Hypersensing questions
I did suggest a while back that we could do an automatic ohmic test before the first pobe on a job and if it is active the pulse the torch.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to pulse the torch on the first probe on a job regardless but only if ohmic is enabled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
26 Apr 2020 00:21 #165598 by rodw

I did suggest a while back that we could do an automatic ohmic test before the first pobe on a job and if it is active the pulse the torch.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to pulse the torch on the first probe on a job regardless but only if ohmic is enabled.

So on first probe, do ohmic test, if probe is active, move to max Z height (to avoid any nasty piercings) and pulse the torch.

Its kinda what I do but on my machine, there is a knob to enable air flow so sometimes I'll flick it on to give it a good purge.

More
26 Apr 2020 00:36 #165599 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Hypersensing questions

So on first probe, do ohmic test, if probe is active, move to max Z height (to avoid any nasty piercings) and pulse the torch.

Something along those lines yes.

First probe would normally begin at home height, but it could be forced to max height to be sure to be sure.

[ramblings]
Could make it an ini file option or maybe a checkbox option in the Run panel next to the Ohmic Probe Enable checkbox. Not sure about pulse length as that may be a machine variable. But... I guess the only guys doing ohmic probing have quality machines as they require shielded torches. But... that will not always be the case as it is reasonably easy to set up an independent probe. Maybe pulse length in ini file, don't want Run panel too busy, it almost is now...
[/ramblings]
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Apr 2020 01:01 #165602 by rodw
Yeh I drilled a hole this morning when I should not have with the pulse. So go to max Z would be required.

I was actually going to ask you about adding a couple more fields for the component. Maybe there was an ini setting or a configurator option to "Use Hypersensing with THCAD-5" that allow setting the mode. eg HYPERSENSE=1 (mode 1)
If set, allow editing the upper and lower thresholds and display the THCAD ohmic voltage. Hide the low threshold if mode 1
But wait until we get this working and I get the component tidied up.

More
26 Apr 2020 01:29 #165606 by tommylight
All of this is messing with my plans ! :)
Very often when cutting i have the torch submerged in water completely, so probing, ignition and cutting all take place under water. My plan was to do the same with HyperSensing, it still is, and i am willing to sacrifice a DVM to the goods of water and electricity to try to make it work, with a resistor to lower the sensitivity and ............. well i do not know yet, still waiting for the Mesa's.......
@Rod,
Finding a software solution to a hardware problem is never easy, but somehow you did just that with just minor hardware help.
BTW, since you are still experimenting with this, could one of you change the input resistor to something smaller and use a 5V power supply for ohmic sensing? I would like to see how that plays out. Resistor value ..... brought to you by PCW ! :)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds