Feature Request

More
03 Aug 2020 10:25 - 03 Aug 2020 10:27 #177026 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

I am reasonably sure all the CC issues are sorted. It now disables the X/Y offset enable when not required. My table has the soft limits very close to the endstops (I have no limit switches) and when the offsets were enabled, after a CR or CC and jogging to the limit would cause a following error and it smacks into the endstops. Disabling the offsets cured that. So it seems that there is some issue with external offsets and soft limits.

Good deal, so when you say "it seems that there is some issue with external offsets and soft limits", do you mean within LinuxCNC itself? If so, hopefully the overlords can take a look at it.

I "think" this is part of the timing issues I mentioned previously. I am sure we will get a solution.

Sounds good, we'll get there.

Sure. I was going to ask whether this should be automatically applied during mesh mode but I see further down you mention that both options may be required. I haven't and probably won't cut expanded metal so I am not sure.

Yea, I think I can see use for wanting to make sure things get under way before you totally ignore it. I want to move on to cutting holes with cut rules via ignoring the arc-OK with G code for testing next. Maybe tonight, not 100% sure.

Next testing version pushed.

I did see why the conversational wasn't working, the Ignore OK button exists now plusI made a couple of changes to CR.

Have fun...

Good deal, thank you! Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you about the error message (there was none), I was sound asleep lol

Looking forward to testing it out. I think we're getting close to having these new features ironed out. Makes me wonder what will be left to test?! :unsure: :laugh:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 10:27 by snowgoer540.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 22:41 - 04 Aug 2020 01:27 #177118 by snowgoer540
Feedback...

Conversational:
1. The mouse-overs in the gui for "Enable" and "Ignore OK" don't necessairly line up with what they do. I'd recommend the following:
  • Enable - enable expanded metal cutting by Disabling THC and Ignoring Arc-OK after motion starts
  • Ignore OK - Arc-OK is not necessary to start cutting motion
2. I really like that the Conversational allows you to choose your default for the origin (center vs bottom left)
3. When you cancel out of Conversational, the shape.ngc file stays present (with the two lines "(new wizard)" and "m2"). Mostly for tidiness, it should probably load a blank, or default file, to clear the window.
3a. Which actually brings me to another question, probably Axis related... How do I clear the current program? Other than loading a different program, or closing and reopening LinuxCNC, is there a way to just clear the program?
4. Why does the origin in Conversational default to X-8.594 and Y-5.297? Is this an "oops", or was it intentional so that people notice to change it? Would leaving them blank to be populated be an option instead?
4a. I just noticed if I leave X and Y origin blank, it doesn't error out. Should it? (it should if we do suggestion 4)
5. Closing LinuxCNC with the Conversational window open does not close the conversational window.

Cut Recovery:
6. Pausing a second time after pressing resume results in not being able to jog the torch (pause during first probe, jog torch, resume cut, pause during that probe = cant jog anymore)
7. Clicking Cancel seems to do nothing (except it does re-highlight the Rev, Slider, Fwd section at the top). I think it used to close the window in the past.
8. Clicking the X at the top of the CR window to make it go away causes the buttons in the "extras" tab to completely go away, requiring a restart.

Mesh cutting mode works as expected! Time to get ready to cook dinner, let me know if I can grab you anything at all. Thanks, as usual.

Edit: I think it may be wise to prevent the mesh mode state to be saved, the ignore ok should be ok to svae as it is only used when in mesh mode.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2020 01:27 by phillc54.

More
04 Aug 2020 01:21 #177149 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request

The mouse-overs in the gui for "Enable" and "Ignore OK" don't necessairly line up with what they do

I understand what I wrote... but I see what you mean.

When you cancel out of Conversational, the shape.ngc file stays present (with the two lines "(new wizard)" and "m2"). Mostly for tidiness, it should probably load a blank, or default file, to clear the window

Unfortunately LinuxCNC doesn't allow a blank file, if the is no M2 or % then it pops up an error

Which actually brings me to another question, probably Axis related... How do I clear the current program? Other than loading a different program, or closing and reopening LinuxCNC, is there a way to just clear the program?

Not that I know of.

Why does the origin in Conversational default to X-8.594 and Y-5.297? Is this an "oops", or was it intentional so that people notice to change it? Would leaving them blank to be populated be an option instead?

They show the coordinate that the machine is currently at in the current user coordinate system (usually G54)
The reasoning behind this was say if you wanted to start 0.1" higher than the current position then is is easy to change if you can see the current posistion rather thean needing to go back to the GUI preview to see the position.

I just noticed if I leave X and Y origin blank, it doesn't error out. Should it? (it should if we do suggestion 4)

They default to the current (just like the user guide says :) )
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...e.html#shape-library

Closing LinuxCNC with the Conversational window open does not close the conversational window.

:(

Pausing a second time after pressing resume results in not being able to jog the torch (pause during first probe, jog torch, resume cut, pause during that probe = cant jog anymore)

Clicking Cancel seems to do nothing (except it does re-highlight the Rev, Slider, Fwd section at the top). I think it used to close the window in the past.

Clicking the X at the top of the CR window to make it go away causes the buttons in the "extras" tab to completely go away, requiring a restart.

:( :(

Mesh cutting mode works as expected! Time to get ready to cook dinner, let me know if I can grab you anything at all. Thanks, as

Yay!!! something works... (I had already pushed that to 2.8)

Getting there, albeit more slowly than I hoped for...

More
04 Aug 2020 01:52 #177154 by snowgoer540

I understand what I wrote... but I see what you mean.

Sorry, I dont mean to be picky. Just was thinking of it from a new user perspecitve.

Unfortunately LinuxCNC doesn't allow a blank file, if the is no M2 or % then it pops up an error

Oh, interesting, Good to know. How does it allow itself to start blank?

Not that I know of.

Admittedly, I'm used to being able to clear a program and have a blank slate because of PathPilot. They have the option there. No idea how they pull the rabbit out of the hat though.

They show the coordinate that the machine is currently at in the current user coordinate system (usually G54)
The reasoning behind this was say if you wanted to start 0.1" higher than the current position then is is easy to change if you can see the current posistion rather thean needing to go back to the GUI preview to see the position.

Now that I understand what it's doing, it makes perfect sense.

They default to the current (just like the user guide says :) )
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...e.html#shape-library

This is my fault. I honestly got so into testing the new conversational window, I actually forgot that it existed before already, and probably had a section to read in the user guide. My apologies.

:( :(

^ this made me laugh :laugh: Sorry, I dont mean to always be the bearer of bad news lol

Yay!!! something works... (I had already pushed that to 2.8)

I expected it to work properly too, but with the new check box, what kind of tester would I be if I didn't test it :)

Getting there, albeit more slowly than I hoped for...

Well, they say Rome wasn't built in a day I guess. I don't mind, gives me something to do after work, plus I enjoy the process.

More
04 Aug 2020 02:02 #177157 by phillc54

Sorry, I dont mean to be picky. Just was thinking of it from a new user perspecitve.

No worries, we need to get it right.

Oh, interesting, Good to know. How does it allow itself to start blank?

I am not sure, when I get time I will have a look. Although if I get it to work in Axis I guess I will have to try in Gmoccapy as well and trying to customise that is a nightmare.

Admittedly, I'm used to being able to clear a program and have a blank slate because of PathPilot. They have the option there.

Interesting, it must be doable somehow

Sorry, I dont mean to always be the bearer of bad news lol

No worries, there seems to be a fraction less each post :)

More
04 Aug 2020 06:05 #177177 by phillc54
I think all the issues you reported are resolved except for clearing the preview of a program, I haven't had any luck with that.

I changed conversational a little bit. Added a quit button and renamed Finish to Send. The Send button is the now only way to get a gcode file to load into the main gui. If you quit or X at the top, conversational will close and the original gcode (if one was loaded) will still be in the main gui.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
04 Aug 2020 09:03 #177201 by snowgoer540

I think all the issues you reported are resolved except for clearing the preview of a program, I haven't had any luck with that.

I changed conversational a little bit. Added a quit button and renamed Finish to Send. The Send button is the now only way to get a gcode file to load into the main gui. If you quit or X at the top, conversational will close and the original gcode (if one was loaded) will still be in the main gui.

Good deal! Is this just focused around the conversational stuff, or is CR good to go as well?

More
04 Aug 2020 09:14 #177202 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
I don't know if you fixed leaving the window open when shutting down but in Windows, you can send a message to an open window that can be used to close it. But I have no idea how to do it in Linux (or Python for that matter)... and I have forgotten everything I used to know about windows programming.

More
04 Aug 2020 09:19 #177203 by phillc54

Good deal! Is this just focused around the conversational stuff, or is CR good to go as well?

Both I hope...

More
04 Aug 2020 10:54 #177211 by snowgoer540
Good deal, looking forward to it as usual.

So PathPilot is obviously open source. I can do some digging and try to find the .py file that's responsible for the main gui. If I posted it, would you be able to dissect and determine how they do it? I've always been curious on making the connections between the gui and the python... it might be a good exercise in poking around in that for me. Are you interested/would that help?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds