Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
18 Dec 2022 16:33 #259834 by RotarySMP
Thanks Tommy, I appreciate your feedback on that. You have tuned about 100x as many servos as me, so I really wasn't sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2022 16:40 #259835 by tommylight
Start cutting and monitor the scope (it can save data streams so you can follow what is going on in combination with camera time code), see when it bumps into load how fast it catches up.
Just do not start chasing microns, Marco Repps on youtube will get angry at you. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, smc.collins

More
18 Dec 2022 16:57 #259837 by RotarySMP
Yeah, that is the danger. Between a micron test indicator and that osci, it is easy to feel the machine is junk :/

More
18 Dec 2022 19:18 #259847 by smc.collins
grinding is for microns, because cutting is to error prone due to deflection etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, tommylight

More
25 Dec 2022 16:47 #260282 by RotarySMP

Merry Christmas everyone.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, anfänger, smc.collins, Patrice

More
02 Apr 2023 10:34 #268062 by RotarySMP
Hi Guys,
I am a bit behind on posting my Schaublin vids. I didn't do much on it this year yet, but getting to it now.

I really need to update to the latest LinuCNC and install Andy's Lathe macros.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco, smc.collins

More
02 Apr 2023 14:59 #268076 by PhilCNC
Replied by PhilCNC on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Thank you for all your content. What are your plans for a user interface panel? You need to have potentiometers for feed and speed overrides, and buttons for cycle start and feed hold. Here are some photos of what I’ve done, and what I have planned on my lathe.  It’s a copy of the Fadal control. In the garage. I prefer physical buttons in the garage machine shop. A mouse or touchscreen just feels cumbersome when wearing gloves.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
02 Apr 2023 15:14 #268079 by RotarySMP
Thanks for the inspiration.
I use Gmoccapy, so I am going to duplicate the soft keys with a set of physical buttons around the touch screen like I did on the Maho. This will be up in the same place Schaublin put it. It will get a dedicated keyboard, which I already bought.
The soft keys of Gmoccapy already covers the start and feed hold buttons, but I might well duplicate them onto the pendant. Especially feed hold is very handy.

I will do a pendant down the front with two jog wheels dedicated to X and Y.

Definitely encoders for Speed and feed overrides, and jog speed. I will probably do physical buttons for the tool changer, and pneumatic tailstock clamping. Also the gearbox/back gear and variator might needs some love on the panel.

I need to collect my thoughts on this.

More
02 Apr 2023 15:16 #268080 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
OMG I cringed when I saw you starting to knurl with that floppy old thing.

If you must use that pinch holder, add a spring over the top arm to it to keep it centered(ish) and engage in X next to the shoulder then move Z+. 
  • Engaging in X means it's more likely to self-align, and
  • You can easily check the Z- clearance during program prove-out

Yes, it's more money... but cut knurls are the ticket for CNC.  It's pretty easy to buy a single wheel and make a holder with a thrust bearing like this:

Single pressure knurls don't work great on flexible materials like in your vid, but they're nice as you can very easily adjust the knurl depth in G-code or tool offsets.

As usual, thanks for the vids.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
02 Apr 2023 15:18 #268081 by RotarySMP
It was a cringy moment. I should have programmed that knurl as a multistart, coarse pitch, LH and RH thread.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds