Bob's Plasmac Build

More
29 Nov 2019 12:27 #151493 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Bob's Plasmac Build

He has some specific for the thcad.

It seems the difference between JT's and my DXF is that his is very expensive in terms of the DIN rail they use.

If you cut the mount and used one of those clips to mount the plate, you would run the THCAD perpendicular with the rail
This layout makes more sense to me.

Its 5 bucks. I don't call that expensive.

your dxf is just for the plate to mount the board to. Do you make the clip to clip on the din rail also?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2019 12:41 - 29 Nov 2019 12:42 #151497 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Bob's Plasmac Build
Bevins, sorry. A poor choice of words. I meant it used up a lot of rail in that orientation. I used one of these from Meanwell which I thought would be available everywhere www.jaycar.com.au/din-rail-clip-for-psu-...ng-brackets/p/MP3154
BUt there is no need, You already have one. Just redrill the plate for your clip.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2019 12:42 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
29 Nov 2019 13:01 #151499 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Bob's Plasmac Build

Bevins, sorry. A poor choice of words. I meant it used up a lot of rail in that orientation. I used one of these from Meanwell which I thought would be available everywhere www.jaycar.com.au/din-rail-clip-for-psu-...ng-brackets/p/MP3154
BUt there is no need, You already have one. Just redrill the plate for your clip.

Ah yeah right.. I see.

More
29 Nov 2019 22:51 #151530 by thefabricator03
Replied by thefabricator03 on topic Bob's Plasmac Build
I dont think I could of built my THCAD vertical mount any cheaper, used a cheap plastic din mount, some 1.6 mild steel sheet offcut and four plastic standoff and screws,

Although if I had the real estate available in my cabinet I would of done what Bob has done. I do like the look of it laying flat for some reason.
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2019 17:27 #151590 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic Bob's Plasmac Build
to be honest i like this set up for mounting a board. for starters it saves space in the box. as long as the bracket has enough length to run any connections i don't see a down side to this approach.

space always seems to run out faster than you intent it to. anything din rail mounted is nice and easy to work with. i never worked with it until the last servo controller i built and din rail made my enclosure work out. without it i would have had a hard time fitting everything in.

for those of us who do not build theses every day it's easy to over look stuff :) especially on a servo system :) AC systems are a lot more involved and more expensive to build. i'm sure when you add plasma to the mix things can get sideways pretty easy as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
30 Nov 2019 19:36 #151599 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Bob's Plasmac Build
I like the way Stefan has some spare real estate on his mounting plate. I did think of remaking my mount to look like this to make room to mount the 390k resistor to scale the THCAD-5 for hypersensing using 2 more circuit board mounting posts. I had in mind using a piece of veroboard to mount the resistor and a couple of screw terminals.

But if you used the nylon posts Stefan has, you could just string the resistor across an air gap between the posts and wire it in using a couple of lugs.

The Modified DIN rail terminal strip I used for the resistor is fine but I could not hide the resistor right inside it like I wanted to do so other terminal strips don't butt up against it nice and flush.

I think this discussion just goes to show even the littlest component in the whole control panel has so many options to consider when building a machine.

More
03 Dec 2019 00:12 #151790 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Bob's Plasmac Build
DIN-rail clips seem like a good candidate to be 3D printed.

More
03 Dec 2019 02:15 #151805 by thefabricator03
I brought a 600x600x600 printer earlier in the year and its still in pieces in the lounge room pissing my wife off. When I get around to it for its first project I might print some din mounts to see how it goes.

More
03 Dec 2019 04:42 #151816 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Bob's Plasmac Build

I brought a 600x600x600 printer earlier in the year and its still in pieces in the lounge room pissing my wife off. When I get around to it for its first project I might print some din mounts to see how it goes.

How about these:- www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-PCB-Din-C45-R...?hash=item2f1bddf473

Or www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Sets-PCB-Din-C45-...?hash=item1cc2a91158

More
03 Dec 2019 07:03 - 03 Dec 2019 07:05 #151822 by thefabricator03
Sure I could just buy them, but how will I ever get a return on my $1200 dollar printer, At those prices I only have to make 4800 of them to break even and anything after is profit! (not including filament and power).

Those din mounts do make the point though that it is very hard to compete with China.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 07:05 by thefabricator03.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds