Feature Request

More
24 Aug 2020 01:51 - 24 Aug 2020 01:52 #179179 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request

User Guide extract

Next I’ll have to learn the magic hidden text post trick lol

it is the icon to the right of spoiler (looks like a shield)

Edit: I used it accidently instead of spoiler...
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 01:52 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2020 04:17 #179185 by phillc54
CR has been pushed to 2.8 and master so you can switch back to either branch.
I will remove the test branch tomorrow.

More
24 Aug 2020 09:07 #179208 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

CR has been pushed to 2.8 and master so you can switch back to either branch.
I will remove the test branch tomorrow.

They just grow up so fast! :lol:

Sounds good, I’ll switch back this evening. Been a pleasure testing this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
24 Aug 2020 10:14 #179213 by phillc54

Thank you for testing. Your results were what I was hoping for.

More
24 Aug 2020 10:28 - 24 Aug 2020 10:28 #179214 by snowgoer540

Thank you for testing. Your results were what I was hoping for.

I'm happy to test any time! What else do you have up your sleeve?

As far as issues I had jotted down that we never got to, I had:
  1. Unchecking Ohmic enable is really "ohmic ignore" rather than Ohmic disabled
  2. Wasn't sure where we ended up with locking out the MDI for Axis while a program (or GUI invoked cut) is running?

On that note, it could be confirmation bias, but it seems like there are a lot of issues specific to gmoccapy. It got me thinking, we had talked probably 6-8 months ago now about making a Plasmac specific GUI. Wonder if that's worth pursuing to get away from the Axis Vs Gmoccapy levels of support?

I know I had made a mock up based on PathPilot. I was a little disappointed to see Tormach's actual take on their Plasma screen for PathPilot. Maybe I'm biased but I think mine was better :laugh:
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 10:28 by snowgoer540.

More
24 Aug 2020 10:45 #179216 by phillc54

[I'm happy to test any time! What else do you have up your sleeve?

I would like to see if I can get it to make a coffee prior to finishing a job. :laugh:

2. Wasn't sure where we ended up with locking out the MDI for Axis while a program (or GUI invoked cut) is running?

I don't remember these, I'll have a look tomorrow.

On that note, it could be confirmation bias, but it seems like there are a lot of issues specific to gmoccapy. It got me thinking, we had talked probably 6-8 months ago now about making a Plasmac specific GUI. Wonder if that's worth pursuing to get away from the Axis Vs Gmoccapy levels of support?

Gmoccapy is very difficult to customise (about as difficult as I find it is to use). I was thinking about a GUI a few days back. Actually I was thinking about two of them, I would like to do a standard one for PC's and also one similar to Touchy for a Raspberry Pi4 so it would be able to use the standard Pi touch screen which is only 1024x600. I have been hanging back waiting to see what happens with the change to Python3, as that will have a bearing on which GUI toolkit to use.

I know I had made a mock up based on PathPilot. I was a little disappointed to see Tormach's actual take on their Plasma screen for PathPilot. Maybe I'm biased but I think mine was better :laugh:

I agree, theirs looks pretty ordinary... but at least it is an integrated gui and the conversational looked interesting.

More
24 Aug 2020 11:06 - 24 Aug 2020 11:07 #179218 by snowgoer540

I would like to see if I can get it to make a coffee prior to finishing a job. :laugh:

I think that's what happens when you type GO instead of G0 :laugh:

I don't remember these, I'll have a look tomorrow.

They were peppered in with other bigger fish to fry. I figured they might have fallen off the radar.

Gmoccapy is very difficult to customise (about as difficult as I find it is to use). I was thinking about a GUI a few days back. Actually I was thinking about two of them, I would like to do a standard one for PC's and also one similar to Touchy for a Raspberry Pi4 so it would be able to use the standard Pi touch screen which is only 1024x600. I have been hanging back waiting to see what happens with the change to Python3, as that will have a bearing on which GUI toolkit to use.

The prospect of being able to run stuff from a Raspberry Pi kind of blows my mind. Honestly Axis has grown on me, I don't find it nearly as cumbersome as I used to. Really I was thinking from a support standpoint it might be easier to just bite the bullet and move away from the other two. I definitely understand waiting on other things to be shored up though.

I agree, theirs looks pretty ordinary... but at least it is an integrated gui and the conversational looked interesting.

Maybe when I write in today to report a bug or two I found over the weekend with the latest release of PathPilot, I'll add my .pdf of the mockup haha :lol: I'm sure they'll appreciate that.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 11:07 by snowgoer540.

More
24 Aug 2020 11:07 #179219 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
I have to agree Plasmac needs its own Touch screen GUI but it really needs to have a 1920 x 1080. I think it needs a really flat interface with running code, jogging and MDI all on the front screen, not like Gmocappy swapping tabs all the time!

Bu then there are (expensive) industrial monitors like this one at 1280 x 800 so it will be hard to please everybody (but it does support 1920 x 1080)
www.xenarc.com/1219GNS-12.1-inch-sunligh...di-video-output.html

More
24 Aug 2020 11:16 #179220 by phillc54

I have to agree Plasmac needs its own Touch screen GUI but it really needs to have a 1920 x 1080. I think it needs a really flat interface with running code, jogging and MDI all on the front screen, not like Gmocappy swapping tabs all the time!

Bu then there are (expensive) industrial monitors like this one at 1280 x 800 so it will be hard to please everybody (but it does support 1920 x 1080)
www.xenarc.com/1219GNS-12.1-inch-sunligh...di-video-output.html

It is surprising how quickly you run out of real estate when you try to have a lot of info on the main screen. To my mind it is unfortunate that LinuxCNC users seem to want to waste so much of the screen with the preview.

More
24 Aug 2020 11:36 #179226 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
I have to say I don't look at the preview much. Maybe they were so proud of Gremlin every screen had to support it! Its handy to know the dimensions of a nest and how far you've cut sometimes. Basically, with a good pendant, I generally only use the screen to start the job or if I'm testing. I can do that from the pendant but I forgot which button I programmed.

I know the Pi is cheap (I've got a couple) but the Odroid H2+ is much better to my mind. Its a real PC, 2 x NIC's and even has a UART so it should be able to do RS485 with the right chip which is mentioned on the Odroid wiki.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds