Feature Request

More
25 Aug 2020 12:52 #179376 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

So Phill has mentioned similar, and I'm not sure I understand why? Once it's released, don't updates just work as usual, or no?

Yes, provided that any update is not reliant on a feature of master that is not in the release version.

So full speed ahead with ideas, got it!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2020 13:24 #179382 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
I struggled to understand Phill's comment but my point is 2.8 should revert to updates being released on point releases to 2.8 and any new features should be restricted to 2.9 master branch. Lets revert to the development cycle that should always have been in place... Users need a stable system to work with if they want to change screen sets or add their own enhancements..

Or live dangerously on master which is the only life I've ever known..

More
25 Aug 2020 13:30 #179384 by snowgoer540

I struggled to understand Phill's comment but my point is 2.8 should revert to updates being released on point releases to 2.8 and any new features should be restricted to 2.9 master branch. Lets revert to the development cycle that should always have been in place... Users need a stable system to work with if they want to change screen sets or add their own enhancements..

Or live dangerously on master which is the only life I've ever known..

I guess I understand what you're getting at. But what about bugs that get squished after release?

As far as the users go they don't have to update...

More
25 Aug 2020 13:39 #179388 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
Bugs??? Whats the test pilot been doing? I understand bug fixes can be push as they are resolved.

More
25 Aug 2020 13:54 #179391 by snowgoer540

Bugs??? Whats the test pilot been doing? I understand bug fixes can be push as they are resolved.

I'd say we squished them all, but that seems like a silly thing to do to cause an unnecessary jinx LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
25 Aug 2020 20:57 #179450 by snowgoer540

You may need to do a make clean after switching branches then to be safe redo the ./autogen.sh and ./configure --with-realtime=uspace

Edit: I did think of renaming them like you did but then someone will complain that they press Torch On and it doesn't turn on...

Used the following steps, seems to have the same results, my torch button is still named what I named it. What am I doing wrong?
> cd linuxcnc-dev/src
> git checkout 2.8
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-realtime=uspace
> make
> sudo make setuid

Only line I didnt use was:
> git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev

More
25 Aug 2020 23:10 #179459 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request

That is how it works if the user doesn't change the source repository. All updates between 'point' releases are on the buildbot so if users wish to take advantage of them they can. Nothing has changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
25 Aug 2020 23:31 #179466 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request

Used the following steps, seems to have the same results, my torch button is still named what I named it. What am I doing wrong?

Try:
ls -l ~/linuxcnc/configs/<your_plasma_config>/plasmac/plasmac_axis.py
and make sure it is a link pointing to the plasmac source directory

More
26 Aug 2020 00:20 #179469 by snowgoer540
indeed it is...

Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2020 00:21 #179470 by snowgoer540
I guess I could just delete the directory and start again?

It's not a huge deal, but I'd just be worried I wouldn't pick something up for some reason.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds